Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Default Speed Dial issues with Bold

Please Login to Remove!

I just upgraded to a BB Bold yesterday and have a few questions about the Speed Dial list.

I have "Dial from Home Screen" set to "yes", but I am unable to speed dial several numbers. In addition to the phone numbers that I assigned to specific letters, I see the following (which appear to be unchangeable):

A - Lock System
Q - Change profile to Vibrate
W - Voice Mail

I used A for one of my daughters (whose name starts with A) and W for my wife's work number.

I have not been able to find anything in the documentation about being able to change those entries... and it's causing me some real consternation, as I am a creature of habit and will probably never remember the new speed dial entries for the above numbers. (ok, maybe that's dramatic, but you get the point.)

Anyone know if/how it's possible to alter/delete the pre-stored values for A, Q and W in the speed dial list?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

It is not possible to change them.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
It is not possible to change them.
That really sucks. Why in the name of all things good and holy does RIM give you the ability to use 26 letters for speed dial... and then arbitrarily remove 3 of them with a new OS version? Why not replace 'O' with 'turn the phone off'? ... or 'B' for 'browser'? I understand there are fixed shortcut keys when you choose to turn off 'dial from home screen', but if you turn that option off, RIM should not reserve speed dial keys (i.e., letters) for their own use.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Chillin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 20817d2f
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted

1 is the is standard for calling VM all phones use 1 for VM so I am glad they kept that consistent. .

* is the key you need to press to remove keylock so it only makes sense that they use the same key to turn it on as they do to turn it off.

The Theme Zone
Free Blackberry Themes
http://thethemezone.blogspot.com
Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin View Post
Wirelessly posted

1 is the is standard for calling VM all phones use 1 for VM so I am glad they kept that consistent. .

* is the key you need to press to remove keylock so it only makes sense that they use the same key to turn it on as they do to turn it off.
I am not saying the key choices that RIM made were not logical. In fact, they are very much so (and 'Q', as in 'quiet', which toggles between Normal and Vibrate profiles, is also a logical choice). My point is that with the BB OS you have been able to choose between 'dial from home screen' or not... but if you did, you had ALL the alpha choices available to you for speed dialing. Now, suddenly, with v4.6, RIM has chosen to usurp the functionality of speed dial to provide some 'dial from home screen = off' functionality even with that option turned on.

My experience goes back to the 8700c, and includes 2 different models of Curves, an 8800 and now the Bold. It's been that way since I've been using BlackBerry devices... until the Bold. Not sure what the Storm does, since it lacks a physical keyboard, the issue is most likely moot.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

While I agree with you, I have learned to live with the new unchangeable keys and am surviving. My wife was A and now she is Z. Life goes on.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Chillin

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie
Quote:
Wirelessly posted

I am not saying the key choices that RIM made were not logical. In fact, they are very much so (and 'Q', as in 'quiet', which toggles between Normal and Vibrate profiles, is also a logical choice). My point is that with the BB OS you have been able to choose between 'dial from home screen' or not... but if you did, you had ALL the alpha choices available to you for speed dialing. Now, suddenly, with v4.6, RIM has chosen to usurp the functionality of speed dial to provide some 'dial from home screen = off' functionality even with that option turned on.

My experience goes back to the 8700c, and includes 2 different models of Curves, an 8800 and now the Bold. It's been that way since I've been using BlackBerry devices... until the Bold. Not sure what the Storm does, since it lacks a physical keyboard, the issue is most likely moot.
I am not talking about the Q, that one should not be. But the other ones I think Should be the way they are.

And as I said 1 is that way on every phone. W should Always be for VM.

Plus these are not new, IIRC it is the same on my Curve 8900, my Curve 8310 and my Pearl 8100.

The Theme Zone
Free Blackberry Themes
Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

I am not talking about the Q, that one should not be. But the other ones I think Should be the way they are.

Plus these are not new, IIRC it is the same on my Curve 8900, my Curve 8310 and my Pearl 8100.
I am moving on... it certainly is not a life or death situation... but again you are missing my point. It's not whether there should be 2 or 3 or 9... IMHO, there should be NONE...

That said, I never had an 8900 so I can't say for sure... but on my 8300 and 8310 Curves, it was NOT that way... I just moved from an 8310 and when I tried to call my wife at work this morning, that's when I noticed it.

And the issue is moot with the Pearl because it doesn't use the alpha speed dial... it works more like the old Motorolas... you can use 2-9 and 0 and I think # and one or two other keys... but it's moot because it doesn't have the full QWERTY keyboard. And on my wife's Pearl, yes, speed dial 1 is reserved for your cellular voice mail number.

As I said, I will cope with it, and move on.

Last edited by fonejunkie; 05-21-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
While I agree with you, I have learned to live with the new unchangeable keys and am surviving. My wife was A and now she is Z. Life goes on.
Indeed it does... and I will survive.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Chillin

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie
Quote:
Wirelessly posted

I am moving on... it certainly is not a life or death situation... but again you are missing my point. It's not whether there should be 2 or 3 or 9... IMHO, there should be NONE...

That said, I never had an 8900 so I can't say for sure... but on my 8300 and 8310 Curves, it was NOT that way... I just moved from an 8310 and when I tried to call my wife at work this morning, that's when I noticed it.

And the issue is moot with the Pearl because it doesn't use the alpha speed dial... it works more like the old Motorolas... you can use 2-9 and 0 and I think # and one or two other keys... but it's moot because it doesn't have the full QWERTY keyboard. And on my wife's Pearl, yes, speed dial 1 is reserved for your cellular voice mail number.

As I said, I will cope with it, and move on.
No I am not missing your point, but you seem to be missing mine.

You think there should not be any preprogramed speed dial. I feel that there should be. At the very least I think 1 should ALWAYS be preprogrammed as VM on Every phone in the world.

Simply a difference of opinion, you would prefer it changed and I feel the way it is is the way it should be.

The Theme Zone
Free Blackberry Themes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

It's possible to change at least the "A" key. I did it, but I can't figure out how to change it back to "Lock".

I wish I wrote down the steps. I think I highlighted the entry and used the delete key. You can probably search as I'm sure someone else has a solution.

Edit: Did a google seach and came up with this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ck-system.html

Regards-Michael G.

Last edited by mgerbasio; 05-22-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Old 05-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
It's possible to change at least the "A" key. I did it, but I can't figure out how to change it back to "Lock".

I wish I wrote down the steps. I think I highlighted the entry and used the delete key. You can probably search as I'm sure someone else has a solution.

Edit: Did a google seach and came up with this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ck-system.html

Regards-Michael G.
Sweet. Thanks. One of the posts in that thread indicates that the original stuff came back for him, but I have changed them all (*/A, #/Q and 1/W). We will see.
Closed Thread