Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
HonzaHronek

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: dont know
Default Torch + Holster = Keyboard not working

Please Login to Remove!

I got my Torch 9800. I have decided to buy a holster Vaja (not the cheapest one) to protect my phone and saving the batery life. The Vaja case is beautiful, fits perfect.... but I got one serious problem that causes that the case is not being used anymore. When I take the phone out of the holster, the keyboard stops working. Only the touch screen works. The keyboard starts working only after pulling out the batery. If I put the phone into the holster and I take it out straight away, then it works fine. Even 5 minutes in the holster usualy doesnt cause that problem. But after having the phone in the holster for more than that, then the keyboard doesnt work. I tried to figure out why but not success. I tried calling, emailing, sending sms etc while having it in the holster to see whether this causes the problem. But not. Worked well. Once even after 1 hour in holster the keyboard worked. But usualy it doesnt. Where is the problem then? Is it a software problem? OS6 seems to be up to date 9800/6.0.0.246. I dont think its the Vaja case who causes that. I dont have the opportunity to borrow a different case to try it on my phone. Once I saw someone having a Torch and using a BB case so I asked this person whether he has the same problem as me and he doesnt have any problem with it. Please help me! I dont want to leave my 90$ case in a closet getting dusty.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
ckinglam
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Torch + Holster = Keyboard not working

I am using the BlackBerry OEM leather pull out pouch and its doing the same thing!!

Retired: 9700, 9000, 8310, 8300, 8100
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
forefun

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

My Torch has done the same thing, and I have had it since the initial release, last year. I used to remove the battery, but that was annoying (no more annoying than the freezing). I found that, and this is not very technical, if I run my fingers back and forth across the keyboard (pressing down), like you would along a piano keyboard, it will unfreeze. I know, it doesn't make any sense, but it works. Sometimes just repeated pressing of the space bar works. For all I know by going back and forth it enters some key combination that is working. Good luck. All in all, I am not too pleased with my Torch. Looking forward to the "touch-n-type Bold smartphones" (Dakota/Montana) on the horizon.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
HonzaHronek

Model: 9800
Carrier: dont know

Well, I see I'm not alone. The thing is that I have seen this person having the Torch and a case BB and didn't have this kind of problem. I got the OS version 6.0.0.246 and I have just found that there is a new version available. So I will try to upgrade the OS and will see what will happen. This is definitely a software problem and it must be repearable. I hope.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I dont have this issue. it is possible ther is a hardware fault if upgrading the OS does nothing to fix it.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
brainberry

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonzaHronek View Post
Well, I see I'm not alone.
You definitely aren't.

A customer of mine reported a very similar issue with his brandnew Torch. So my first idea was an upgrade of the systems OS from v6.0.0.337 to v6.0.0.1907, actually without any positive effect afterwards. The BB still keeps freezing the keyboard, no entries are recognized, touchscreen still works, incoming calls can't be answered, because of the system keys not working as well. Sometimes, pushing all keys in random order helps unfreezing the BB, but this can't always be reproduced. Most of the time, you can't even get the startscreen, standby-screen won't turn off by pressing any of the system keys.
Restarting the BB by pulling the battery is very annoying.

Any further notions about this issue? New impressions? New ideas??

Regards
Chris
Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

if the device is faulty, bring it back
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
if the device is faulty, bring it back
I have had my Torch since Sept 30 with the RIM OEM pouch and with various OS versions from .246 to .450 and have never experienced the problem described. It must be a hardware problem. "bring it back" and get it replaced.
Closed Thread