BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
eZainny
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus
Default BBSmart Email Viewer v2.3 - Email Templates!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know we've just put out v2.3!

New things in v2.3
  • We hit the gym and lost a lot of weight! Down from 240 to 135K!
  • Changed around the graphics used on several options and trial related screens
  • Can now press the 'Enter' key when a link is highlighted to launch the browser
  • Fixed up email scrolling behavior when using shortcuts and then switching to the thumbwheel
  • Added in a signal strength indicator on the connection setup screen
  • Added in ability to change header font size & bold preference (and pick a smarter default size)
  • Added in the "PIN <user>" option to the menu when contact has a PIN number
  • Made some optimizations to improve email loading times
  • Fixed up email header scrolling behavior (no more "lost cursor")

And finally, as part of our ongoing efforts to move BBSmart Email Viewer more towards a complete email solution (rather than just being a "viewer") we've added in email templating aka SmartSay. If you are not familiar with email templating, the fundamental idea is that you can pre-save responses: email signatures, your phone number, email address, etc. Then when you are composing an email just select "SmartSay..." from the menu, pick whatever it is you want to insert and have it automatically inserted in the email. Great if you find typing certain things (like your business email signature or phone number) a pain!

Also great because this provides the exact same functionality that you find in $10 - $20 BlackBerry apps. and you get it for FREE!

Please note the "Check for Updates" will only work for the people who previously had OS v4.2 version installed. Everyone else you can install via DM or OTA at: BBSmart OTA Install

Hope you like it

Update: Limited time offer. 15% off BBSmart Email Viewer on PocketSelect. See http://www.blackberryforums.com/spon...ketselect.html for details

Cheers,
eZainny.

Last edited by eZainny; 09-04-2007 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: "Add to Cal" for OS v4.1 needs more investigation...(Sorry!)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I just installed this and am loving it! The load times are a lot faster. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
donc36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I just installed this and am loving it! The load times are a lot faster. Thanks a lot.
I agree - loading seems to be noticeably faster with 2.3, scrolling seems to be smoother (not that it was a problem in earlier versions) and the display doesn't "lose" its place when receiving more of the e-mail.

My only glitch, which existed in the previous version, is if the theme sets the text color to white (like some of the itunes themes) - you can't read the entry on the white background when entering the smart note. Once entered, it's readable. Perhaps the easiest (at least for this non-programmer) is an option to allow the user to change the text color for entering (not reading) smartnotes.

(I couldn't find a way to override the color in the bb options)

Overall, this has been worth the wait, and absolutely worth my intitial investment when I purchased the product at version 1.0!!! Nice job e-zainy.

Don
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
eZainny

Phew...I guess I can let out a small sigh of relief

When you put up a new version there is always the questions going through your head wondering if you made a mistake somewhere along the lines: producing the builds, updating docos, etc. Good to hear it is working out OK

Still looking into the themes related situation donc36. Sorry I couldn't put out a fix with this release but I'm trying to think of an effective way to make it safe for all themes Changing text entry colors might be the way to go...
Old 08-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
hooper610
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eZainny View Post
  • Added in ability to change header font size & bold preference (and pick a smarter default size)
Great work with the update. Only gripe is with the header size options. I think this could still use a little tweaking. I use Helvetica Bold Size 1 for my email text. The header text on small is like twice the size of that and as a result chews up a ton of real estate on full details.... especially for info I just glance at. Be great to make it smaller and/or give us font options!

Smart Say seems a lot like how I use auto text. Trying to figure where I would use it over Auto Text.

Overall Keep up the good work.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #6
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper610 View Post
Great work with the update. Only gripe is with the header size options. I think this could still use a little tweaking. I use Helvetica Bold Size 1 for my email text. The header text on small is like twice the size of that and as a result chews up a ton of real estate on full details.... especially for info I just glance at. Be great to make it smaller and/or give us font options!

Smart Say seems a lot like how I use auto text. Trying to figure where I would use it over Auto Text.

Overall Keep up the good work.
Wow, Font size 1 - that's pretty small! Are you a pilot by any chance?

In general I always set "Summary Details" to be the default and then if I want to see the full details I hit the shortcut key for it ('G' on SureType devices, 'Q' on full keyboard). But yes, your point is noted - I'll see if I can come up with a way to improve this for future versions.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO

wow, i love this software. you guys are great. really fast, updates are frequent. i own three berries and bought this software for all three. its fantastic. support is very good and very fast also. this update is great. I was running out of room on my curve, what do they do? make the program smaller, and i can get rid of another program i have for email templates that i was using. you guys love me dont you? lol
keep up the good work,
yanni
Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
eZainny

Default What do you like?

Actually,

While we are on the topic of display preferences, am I the only one who likes a font color of "Deep Sky Blue" on a "Black" background for reading emails?

I'm actually quite curious to find out what display options everyone is using (if only to pick the most popular configuration to set as a default for future releases).
Old 08-30-2007, 12:27 AM   #9
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

By the way, any chance we can get an option to encrypt/decrypt emails and pin messages? this seems like a natural evolution for a complete email solution such as this. i have a program called secret mail that does this, would love to toss it and use just this.
thanx again guys,
yanni
Old 08-30-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Actually,

While we are on the topic of display preferences, am I the only one who likes a font color of "Deep Sky Blue" on a "Black" background for reading emails?

http://www.blackberrysmart.com/black_and_blue.jpg

I'm actually quite curious to find out what display options everyone is using (if only to pick the most popular configuration to set as a default for future releases).
I use black backround with gold text, and vice versa on my other berry.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

I used the trial when this was 2.0 I believe. I ended up using empower because I didnt like the slow load times. But this version is way faster and love the color setting for each email account.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
stevenjenkins

Model: 9850
PIN: 330C2B78

eZainny, when trying to add to calendar, I get the msg, "Sorry, an error was encountered adding this email as a calendar even." Using 4.1.0.344. Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjenkins View Post
eZainny

When trying to add to calendar, I get the error msg, "Sorry, an error was encountered adding this email as a calendar event." Using 4.1.0.344. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Hi Steve,

Thanks, I'll look into this. Had come up at one point during testing also but I could never confirm - looks like more investigation is needed. Sorry about that...
Old 08-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Actually,

I just tried this combination and I think I like that alot was alot easier on the eyes.

I have been using this version now since you sent it to the beta testers last week and I must admit this just keeps getting better.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #15
stevenjenkins

Model: 9850
PIN: 330C2B78

eZainny, not a problem. I'll be looking for the fix. Thanks. If I can help on my end, just let me know. PIN: 30118d66

Steven
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #16
Soxfan04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I am using an 8703e with 4.1 OS and I am also receiving the same error message as above when trying to add an email to my calendar.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Actually,

I tried your suggestion for a font color of "Deep Sky Blue" on a "Black" background for reading emails, and I really like it with one exception -- the dark blue (or purple?) color used for links is difficult to read on the black background. While this is not as much of an issue for URLs, it can be difficult to read a phone number (which is also treated as a link) with the current default link color. Might there be a better choice that will be more visible on both light and dark backgrounds? Could this be changed to a configurable item in a future release?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
I tried your suggestion for a font color of "Deep Sky Blue" on a "Black" background for reading emails, and I really like it with one exception -- the dark blue (or purple?) color used for links is difficult to read on the black background. While this is not as much of an issue for URLs, it can be difficult to read a phone number (which is also treated as a link) with the current default link color. Might there be a better choice that will be more visible on both light and dark backgrounds? Could this be changed to a configurable item in a future release?

you can change the colors now if you dont like it
Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
you can change the colors now if you dont like it
Not the color of links displayed in e-mail messages...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #20
Dawg
No longer Registered.

oh ok I dont pay attention to those
Closed Thread