Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobrien118 View Post
That doesn't help me!

I have the latest and greatest from t-mobile and I am having the same issue as you, so maybe simply upgrading the firmware changes something.

--mobrien118
Mobrien,

I had the latest and greatest from TMO also and that was the problem. I upgraded to the latest and greatest from Rogers posted in the 8100 discussion forum as a sticky of the latest release for 8100 and upgraded to that. Follow the directions from that discussion link and it should work. YOu may also have a policy from your BES that restricts the app from working correctly.

Good luck.

SIB
Old 06-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #42
7100simpleisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter View Post
I am a pearl user and I bought the Skylab MobileTracker with hopes it would do what I wanted. First, it connected to my puck (Holux 240) just fine for tracking. It had a few bugs but it was liveable. The biggest disappointment that I had was that it did not record time or distance and in Google Maps/Earth you need to manually select the path to get the actual distance, which if you have a long path it is a pain. If you want to see your basic movements it is a decent program and very basic interface. If you want to know any other information like speed, distance, etc, it does not seem to track that in the file. Maybe if they exported to GLX format it could be configured to contain this information and Google Earth can read that as well.

Good luck and I hope if they make updates registered users will get free upgrades to this product.

SIB
There is a new version of Mobile Tracker out that fixes a lot of these issues that I had. I think my only complaint at this point is the distance tracking is only in meters and would prefer it in miles, I can do the conversion but would much rather the system do it for me. I plan to let them know but here is a list of new features that work very well and it doesn't stop tracking just because the GPS is no longer receiving satellite information, it just waits for the next available set of coordinates and keeps on chugging and in the view on GE it is a straight line connecting the two coordinates between the lost signal (which is what is expected).

To sum it up, this application is now a pretty good app very similar to the GPSTrack but with the ability to run in the background which GPSTrack does not do and the new functionality is pretty slick so you hit play on the timeline in GE and see your path travelled relative to time. If there was any complaints it is that you cannot select metric/US for final reporting.

SIB
Old 06-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #43
touchtheskydiva

Model: pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att cingular
Default can this track real time?

i am really worried about my teenage daughter. can this solution help me track her movements real time? Also I am not very techy. Can anyone tell me exactly what to do to download this on to her pearl? I know i'll need to buy a gps receiver. Does the receiver automatically track multiple pearl users eg, both my daughters have pearls, will it read both pearls in the vicinity? Also what is the distance from phone to gps receiver to be effective. thanx for your help

[QUOTE=Spamdumpster;503208]Click here: GPS Track

I didn't see this anywhere on the forum. It's a simple app. Took a little while to get it installed on my pearl, but then it was easy to connect to the bluetooth GPS. Allows for track logs to be exported to SD Card as .kml, .gpx, or .csv files. Shows basic trip info, distance, average speed, average elevation.

Took a nice 5 mile run this afternoon with the puck in one jacket pocket and the pearl in the other, and I watched a flyover of my route on Google earth about 3 minutes after I got home.

I haven't tried using a kml file, but the gpx files work great. Simply export the track log as a .gpx file, open google earth, then open the gpx file.[/QUOTE
Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #44
mobrien118
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA9EC3
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????

OMFG! R U SRS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchtheskydiva View Post
i am really worried about my teenage daughter. can this solution help me track her movements real time? Also I am not very techy. Can anyone tell me exactly what to do to download this on to her pearl? I know i'll need to buy a gps receiver. Does the receiver automatically track multiple pearl users eg, both my daughters have pearls, will it read both pearls in the vicinity? Also what is the distance from phone to gps receiver to be effective. thanx for your help

Last edited by mobrien118; 06-18-2007 at 09:47 PM..
Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #45
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This will not do that. It may, I suppose, but easy enough to just turn off the bluetooth GPS puck. Bluetooth works up to 30 feet.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #46
rich_shannon

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

How did you get the GPS Track app to work on the Pearl? I just keep on getting errors when I try to run it. Please let me know the steps you took to get it to work. I would love to have this feature.
thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
Click here: GPS Track

I didn't see this anywhere on the forum. It's a simple app. Took a little while to get it installed on my pearl, but then it was easy to connect to the bluetooth GPS. Allows for track logs to be exported to SD Card as .kml, .gpx, or .csv files. Shows basic trip info, distance, average speed, average elevation.

Took a nice 5 mile run this afternoon with the puck in one jacket pocket and the pearl in the other, and I watched a flyover of my route on Google earth about 3 minutes after I got home.

I haven't tried using a kml file, but the gpx files work great. Simply export the track log as a .gpx file, open google earth, then open the gpx file.[/QUOTE
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #47
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

gpstrack stops when phone rings?

I just started using GPSTrack yesterday on my 8300 with Holux 240 gps puck. as one would have it, on the first track sequence, the phone rang, and gpstrack stopped recording.

Did I do something wrong? how do I avoid this problem in the future?

Sam
Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #48
7100simpleisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
gpstrack stops when phone rings?

I just started using GPSTrack yesterday on my 8300 with Holux 240 gps puck. as one would have it, on the first track sequence, the phone rang, and gpstrack stopped recording.

Did I do something wrong? how do I avoid this problem in the future?

Sam
Sam,

You did nothing wrong, that seems to be a limitation of the software, not sure why but when it is put in the background for any reason it resets. If it wasn't for that one major issue it would be the perfect application, I love the simplicity and the options but not running in the background is a showstopper, but there is no one to complain to because it is free. You might send a very very nice note to the developer to see if he is releasing an update and if that can be included. I have already done so but maybe more requests will help in encouraging him to provide an update. I reiterate that, the message should be very nice because it is free software that he has graciously published. If it was Telenav or Skylab I wouldn't expect it to be so nice because these are basic features that any paid service should include.

Good luck,

SIB
Old 08-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #49
7100simpleisbetter

Default GPSTrack Continue to Track in Background

All,

Thanks to Dana Peters providing the source code and me loving this app for the basic functionality it provides, simply and easily. I have found a way to make this application run in the background so you can take calls, send emails and do whatever you want while tracking your movements with GPS. I have done some limited testing of the application and the basic function works in the background great. First, I am not a programmer but the code was very easy to follow and after looking at some other code for the BB I was able to find a way to get this app to continue running in the background.

There was a bug I found in the application, which has nothing to do with my changes but was always a bug with the way the app worked on the BB as I tested it with the original file from the developer. I have yet to find a bug in my simple change to the code to allow it to work in the background but would like to hear what others experience as well.

The bug is that while tracking there is a "Next" option in the menus and it will display current GPS location and if you click "Next" again it will show the satellites that are connected and finally if you click "Next" again it will take you back to the tracking status screen. Now if after going through the next screens and you arrive back at the status screen you click "Stop" the application freezes. You can Alt-Tab out of the application but you will eventually get a process terminated due to lack of response error message. It appears the track is saved but I have not confirmed this for sure. Anyhow, if you run into this bug, I haven't looked into fixing it because quite frankly I don't care enough to at this point. If you just leave it on the track status screen once you start tracking and "Stop" without going to the other screens using the "Next" option it functions without error.

Anyhow, here is the cod and alx for installation, if someone has a server they want to host the jar and jad files, I would be happy to email those over for hosting for OTA download as well.

I make no warranties on this application and one last thing, you will probably need 4.2.1.x OS because 4.2.0.x gives an API error with this application which is inherent in the original version from the developer as well.

Good luck,
SIB
Attached Files
File Type: zip GpsTrack.zip (49.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #50
nimocone

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

How do you find this in comparison to BB Tracker which is also reviewed on this forum?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #51
7100simpleisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimocone View Post
How do you find this in comparison to BB Tracker which is also reviewed on this forum?
nimocone,

BB Tracker is a nice little application. I have found GPSTrack to be a little more stable on BT GPS connections than BB Tracker. I know Suau is still ironing out the kinks in the app but for now GPS Track, now that I got it to continue running in the background. GPS Track has its own bugs but they don't seem to impact the accurate tracking of location.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #52
Zambini
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T (Always Cingular to me)

This is sooooo close to bring my favorite app.

Problems:
1) you can't have it running in the background. I would love it if I could just start it and lock my phone
2) I can't delete anything. I get some cryptic java error
Some sort of 'recordstore exception'
Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 AM   #53
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambini View Post
This is sooooo close to bring my favorite app.

Problems:
1) you can't have it running in the background. I would love it if I could just start it and lock my phone
2) I can't delete anything. I get some cryptic java error
Some sort of 'recordstore exception'
So you should switch over to MobileTracker - it does not have this error and can run in background ;)
Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #54
Zambini
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T (Always Cingular to me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym View Post
So you should switch over to MobileTracker - it does not have this error and can run in background ;)
That would be perfect. Except for the fact that it costs $24. The last software I paid $ for was tetris on my razr, and I played that every single day in my history class. But that was 4 bucks. 24 bucks is a bit steep for something I use out of coolness / curiosity's sake.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #55
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: O2

Hello all,

is there anybody who can give me an advice on the following error I receive on trying to run GPS-tacker on a Pearl:

Error starting gpstrack: Module 'gpstrack' attempts to access a secure API.

FW version 4.2.0.64 - Reed a lot about that in the forum but wanted to be sure if a FW upgrade will fix the problem before digging into it.....

Regards AxelE
Old 09-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #56
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Pretty sure the OS upgrade will fix your problem.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #57
unwire

Model: 8310
Default Problems on BB 8310

First of all, thanks to Simpleisbetter for improving upon the existing codebase! Great to have people like this in the community.

I tried running your update to GPS Track on my 8310, but when I select "Start", it has "Bluetooth" and "Serial Port" as the only two options. My GPS is integrated - will this still work?

When I choose "Bluetooth" it says "Uncaught exception: UI engine accessed without holding the event lock".

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #58
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

GPSTrack does not support internal GPS recievers. That's one of the reasons I why I started writing bbTracker.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #59
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Drat. BBTracker just crashes, the modified GPStrack doesn't have ability to access internal GPS. :(

Can't wait to see a working version.

I finally made bbtrack work by using JAR file and not JAD for some reason.

For some odd reason, BBTrack don't seem to be as accurate as google, jumping about 20 feet around one spot, and up to about 20 feet in height too? :(

Last edited by Iare Tosevite; 11-03-2007 at 03:01 AM..
Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 AM   #60
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite View Post
For some odd reason, BBTrack don't seem to be as accurate as google, jumping about 20 feet around one spot, and up to about 20 feet in height too? :(
See this post in the bbTracker thread that explains some of the problems that height has generally with GPS. It's nothing specific to bbTracker. Thats also the reason why many tools don't even display a height value (Google Maps doesn't, if I remember correctly).

Ther also isn't much I can do about the other inaccuracies. That's GPS. I can only guess what Google Maps is doing to get it more accurate. Two guesses are that they either snap your position to the nearest road (which I can't do for obvious reasons) or that they average several reported positions and just report that one.

Note also that GPS signals tend to be more precise if you're moving.
Closed Thread