Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
markageo

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default BES cannot login to IMAP for the activation

Please Login to Remove!

I have setup a BES for MDS and entered the IMAP information correctly. BES Setup did not verify my IMAP account, although from the same machine, I can access the IMAP account with the same credentials (if for example I setup Outlook Express with IMAP)

Any ideas why BES will not talk with my IMAP server? The error I get in the event viewer on a regular basis is:

================================================== =========================================
Failure to login to IMAP store. Attempt #100. Pausing and will try again
Verify that mailstore has IMAP services enabled
Verify that no other user or server is logged on to the account over IMAP
Verify that SSL (or any other encryption) is disabled on the server's IMAP configuration
Verify mailstore account '*****@*****.com' and corresponding password are correct and accessible via IMAP
Verify that the IMAP-capable mailstore host '*****.******.com' is can be reached from this server and that its configured IMAP port is 143
================================================== =========================================

My IMAP is configured at port 143, it does not use SSL, and no other user is logged in at the same time. What is going wrong here?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Is the mailserver IMAP? If so this won't work. You need an Exchange server using MAPI. That is the only protocol BES works with and is designed to work with.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
markageo

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Mail server is IMAP

The mail server is IMAP. I am not installing the BES for Exchange, but BES for MDS. BES works fine although it cannot login to IMAP.

But, even if it needs Exchange server and MAPI, why doesn't it say it specifically, and why does it ask for an IMAP server listening to port 143 and username/password credentials in order to work (always according to the setup process)???
Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

My bad, misread the post. BES for MDS does use IMAP, BES for Exchange needs an Exchange Server to talk to. Don't mind me, my mind is starting to give out . Not sure why it's not working though. Never set it up before. The logs point to login failure with the account though. Didn't see much on RIM's TKC. Have you called RIM? They should be able to help.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
pawlorj

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same problem. I did a packet sniff of what was happening between BES and the IMAP server and it looks like BES is logging into the IMAP account fine:

Request: 00000001 LOGIN ****** *******
Response: 00000001 OK LOGIN Ok.

but then it issues the following IMAP command:

Request: 00000002 LIST "%" ""

and receives a valid response and then immediately logs out:

Response: 00000002 OK LIST completed
Request: 00000003 LOGOUT

I'm wondering if it expects to receive something specific from the LIST command instead of an empty list.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
pawlorj

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

I figured out my problem. For some reason, the IMAP LIST "%" "" that BES was issuing to my email server was not returning what BES was expecting. I set up a free email account with fastmail and BES works fine with it.
Closed Thread