BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
BassPlayinPapa

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Where did "Job Title" field go in DM?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm cleaning up my Outlook-BB sync and remapping the fields in DM to do so, but here's my problem. Even though there is a "Job Title" field in my BB Address Book records, I can not see it when I go to map the fields in DM. It is visible for the Outlook records, but not the BB records.

My probable work-around is to map "Job Title" in Outlook to "User Defined 3" in BB, but I shouldn't have to do that if I can SEE a "Job Title" field in my BB.

Any thoughts?

- Jim Carl
Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
BassPlayinPapa

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Job Title Field vs Title Field

OK, here's my conundrum. Hang with me, because this gets a bit detailed.

There is a "Job Title" field in Outlook's address book, and a "Job Title" field in Blackberry's address book. There is also a field simply labeled "Title" in both address books.

In Outlook the "Job Title" field is used for the person's job title, while the "Title" field is used for their prefix, such as Mr., Ms, Dr. and so on.

So when mapping fields to sync in Desktop Manager, it should be straightforward. Map "Job Title" to "Job Title" and map "Title" to "Title". Both fields exist in both in the Blackberry and Outlook address books.

So sync'ing between them should be easy, simply insuring that the Outlook "Job Title" field is mapped to the BB "Job Title" field.

But here's the rub. When Using Desktop Manager 4.7, or now even 5.0, the Outlook list of available fields to map includes both "Job Title" and "Title", but the Device list of fields only includes a "Title" field.

To make matters confusing, when I map data to "Title" field in Desktop Manager, it shows up in the "Job Title" field on my BB.

So I learned in Desktop Manager to map Outlook's "Job Title" field to the Device's "Title" field as a work-around to solve that annoying issue, but what really frustrates me is that even though there is a "Job Title" field in my BB, there appears to be no corresponding field at all in the Desktop Manager.

I use my contact list to print mail-merges and therefore it is important to me to be able to use this "Title" field, or whatever BB wants to call it, to maintain this important info.

My short-term work-around is to map Outlook's "Title" field to the Device's "User Defined 3" field. It works, but it annoys me to see an empty the "Title" field in my BB with the job title info in it and and empty "Job Title" field in my BB sitting there useless because there seems to be no way to map to it in Desktop Manager.

Am I really the only person who has run up against this?

If anyone can help, I'll be much obliged.

Thanks for hanging in there with me for this lengthy explanation.

- Jim Carl

8830 World Phone formerly
9630 Tour now
Closed Thread