BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
jasonwinn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT
Default Can you use bluetooth to sync up to PC?

Please Login to Remove!

I have hear you cannot but I saw this at the bottom of this page:

http://www.blackberrystuff.com/black...-protector.htm
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwinn
I have hear you cannot but I saw this at the bottom of this page:

http://www.blackberrystuff.com/black...-protector.htm
Yes with any other phone you can most phones that have bluetooth have the full bluetooth. Blackberries only have a limted Bluetooth that is only good for voice and keyboard very limited on what you can do with Blackberry Bluetooth.

From what I have seen it has to do with the goverment and being able to have things secure. Can't even transfer your phonebook to a bluetooth car kit.

Maybe they will change this later on but so far no one knows for sure if they ever will or not. I wish they would atleast give the option to the BES server or person to decide on thier own.

Ted

Ted
Old 07-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
pcnetgeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzarcone
Yes with any other phone you can most phones that have bluetooth have the full bluetooth. Blackberries only have a limted Bluetooth that is only good for voice and keyboard very limited on what you can do with Blackberry Bluetooth.

From what I have seen it has to do with the goverment and being able to have things secure. Can't even transfer your phonebook to a bluetooth car kit.

Maybe they will change this later on but so far no one knows for sure if they ever will or not. I wish they would atleast give the option to the BES server or person to decide on thier own.

Ted

Ted
thats an interesting reason why ..

Friends Dont Let Friends Call Nextel BlackBerry Support, They Direct Them To The Friendly BlackBerryForums.Com Support..

PIN: 40082120
Old 07-12-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
cwemely
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am not a software engineer, but I am surprised that no one has found a way to hack the BB Bluetooth yet. There has to be a way to fool it into even emulating a serial device and then connecting to the PC that way.

Again, I am not a developer, so I do not fully understand the details, but I know that on my ThinkPad you can use Bluetooth to emulate a serial connection.

I was spoiled by my Bluetooth iPAQ.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Wavester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: the tail on a donkey
Carrier: T-Mobile

I did read somewhere recently that RIM is planning to release BB's that accept a smartcard to secure data and wireless bluetooth connections.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavester
I did read somewhere recently that RIM is planning to release BB's that accept a smartcard to secure data and wireless bluetooth connections.
Yes I saw a post about that also on one of the forums here. But who wants to carry around another device that will need to plug into the BB and still be limited to what you can connect to. Cause I am sure even if it is full Bluetooth you still wont be able to connect to anything that doesn't have the secured connection so adressbooks in Bluetooth cars and stuff would still not work most likey.

For security there is a risk for Bluetooth but that is what BES servers are for anyone that wants to enable it should be able to as long as not on a BES.

Ted
Old 12-25-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
n219ct

Model: 7105
Default Bluetooth and sync

It appears that it can be done: read

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...7250&vernum=11
Old 12-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

mftp
mftp
mftp

I think this has been posted a few times before. You woke up a 5 month old thread for no reason.

Yes, you can do this. IF you have handheld OS 4.1, which currently is only available for the 7100i, 8700c and 7130e. It is not available for any other model yet.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
mftp
mftp
mftp

I think this has been posted a few times before. You woke up a 5 month old thread for no reason.

Yes, you can do this. IF you have handheld OS 4.1, which currently is only available for the 7100i, 8700c and 7130e. It is not available for any other model yet.
Just to add, your PC must be running WinXP SP2 and the BT device must be on the MS approved list. Search blackberry.com knowledgebase.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

OK,
the knowledgebase says my PC must be running WinXP SP2, I'm running Win2K SP4, and I haven't found any application YET that runs on WinXP that doesn't run on Win2K.

Bottom line is, I would like to sync my 8700c via Bluetooth with my Laptop running Win2k. Has anybody done this? Can anyone recommend a bluetooth dongle... should I go PCMCIA or USB?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #11
denning
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

I think the WinXP sp2 issue is the control driver for bluetooth that wasn't part of windows 2000
Old 01-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbay2002
OK,
the knowledgebase says my PC must be running WinXP SP2, I'm running Win2K SP4, and I haven't found any application YET that runs on WinXP that doesn't run on Win2K.

Bottom line is, I would like to sync my 8700c via Bluetooth with my Laptop running Win2k. Has anybody done this? Can anyone recommend a bluetooth dongle... should I go PCMCIA or USB?
Read the KB. Buy one of the approved BT adapters. Keep the receipt and make sure they have a 100% refund policy. Because you won't be able to get it to work on W2K. It has enough problems with Windows XP.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

You're right... after I naively made the post that you quote, I posted elsewhere on this forum about my trials and tribulations. I've got the Belkin BT adaptor and am using it on Win2K with the WIDCOM stack. No way to sync with my BB over BT.

Though when I was doing google searches, I came across some sites where hackers had put together cracks/patches for the WIDCOM stack to make it look like the MS stack... but I don't touch this kind of stuff.

The real solution is for Micro$oft to support Win2K, or, even more preferable, for RIM to support non-MS BT stacks (will benefit those using Win2K, MacOS, Unix, etc).
Old 02-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #14
mfreij

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon

Can you tell me where to find these patches/cracks in google? I am interested in trying this solution.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:48 AM   #15
Petro1020

I just got my blackberry 7520 yesterday. I LOVE IT. I switched from i830. I dont have BB service yet and for some reason I cant get it to completely sync with outlook 2003. But I did find out how to do some cool stuff. I synced it with my pocket pc and connected to my laptop via bluetooth. I just downloaded bluetooth software for my hp laptop and connected to it. But the only service that pops up is voice gateway. Does anyone know, since I dont have BB service yet, if I can browse the web on my BB through my bluetooth connection to my laptop? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
bcrowie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro1020
I just got my blackberry 7520 yesterday. I LOVE IT. I switched from i830. I dont have BB service yet and for some reason I cant get it to completely sync with outlook 2003. But I did find out how to do some cool stuff. I synced it with my pocket pc and connected to my laptop via bluetooth. I just downloaded bluetooth software for my hp laptop and connected to it. But the only service that pops up is voice gateway. Does anyone know, since I dont have BB service yet, if I can browse the web on my BB through my bluetooth connection to my laptop? Thanks.
No... you cant do that unlike pocketpc devices. Youre gonna have to get a data plan.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:03 AM   #17
eburrer

Model: 8330

I could really use some help in relation to this matter. I have a motorola bluetooth adapter that utilizes the widcomm drivers. I have tried both the widcomm and MS drivers for it. Using the widcomm drivers, I can connect my 7100i to my computer (Toughbook) and actually use the speakers and microphone on my computer to place and receive phone calls. Using the MS drivers, the computer won't recognize the bluetooth adapter. According to MS KB article(http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;841803), my device is recognized under MS XP SP 2 (according to the device "Generic Bluetooth Radio USB\Vid_0a12&Pid_0001") but I still cannot get anything from the blackberry desktop software to see it. Am I missing something here on what I should be doing? I have gone back into Device Manager and changed the driver to the MS device but then I can't do jack didley with any connecting.

Please help, I have lost many nights of sleep trying to figure this one out. Maybe I am just doomed?

Erich
Old 03-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
Mobil12Newman

Model: 7100i

I can sync via Bluetooth!

The 7100i allows this. This is how.

1. You have to have a plug and play bluetooth device though. I went to comp USA and bought the belkin Bluetooth USB adapter.

2. You have to be using Windows XP with service pack 2.

3. Follow the directions located here. http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...67250&vernum=0

4. It does not actively sync. But you can set it up so that it will automatically sync when connected.

So now when I come into the office in the morning my phone automatically connects to my computer and syncs itself. I can manually do a sync before I leave for the evening and then when I get home my phone syncs with my home computer. I can add events or contacts at any of the three locations (phone, home, or work) and they sync.

Last edited by Mobil12Newman; 03-05-2006 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: update link
Closed Thread