BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
stuxstu

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Newbie to BlackBerry Questions (8800)

Please Login to Remove!

I am getting a 8800 from my employer in a few days and wanted to ask a few simple questions (hopefully). I am changing from Windows Mobile PDAs and SmartPhones to a BlackBerry 8800 and have a couple hopefully simple questions. I know that most of my questions (not posted here will be answered when I get the device).

1. PIM: I currently use a software for Windows Mobile called Agenda Fusion (http://www.developerone.com). From my best understanding Pocket Day is sort of the equivalent. Am I correct on this assumption?

2. Email: Since I have never had a BlackBerry or used any "push email" before. What is the delay in getting email. My company has the Black Berry server, which I believe is called BES. I am just hoping that is it not hours.... minutes would be great!

3. Voice Memo: I found that there is a voice memo function of the 8800. Can you have memo's emailed to yourself automatically? I have a neat little program on my WM 5 smartphone called VoiceMinder (Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant Calendar. Is there anything similar in the BB world?

4. Outside of travel chargers, headset (bluetooth or wired) is there any recommended accessories or software I should consider purchasing to enhance the BB experience?

I appreciate any insight you can give me and hopefully, I am not the 10,000 time this has been asked.. 9999 would be ok.

Thanks in advance....
Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. I don't use PocketDay, there are a number of users on here who do. I use Outlook to sync with and it is seamless and easy.

2. On BES, you will have no delay, as quick as your server gets it. Seconds?

3. Yes, your voice notes will email to whomever you want or another BB or Phone. It uses MMS, I believe. I don't know about it being automatic, you have to tell it who to send to.

4. A good leather belt clip holster (may come with it). A good screen protector (ScreenPatronus). Lots of software threads on this board, recommended. You'll find many.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I have PocketDay loaded but really use the BB Dimension Today theme.

Before you try to install any 3rd party software make sure you know the company policies for doing it. Since they own the BB the can also control what software is loaded on it.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
stuxstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I have PocketDay loaded but really use the BB Dimension Today theme.

Before you try to install any 3rd party software make sure you know the company policies for doing it. Since they own the BB the can also control what software is loaded on it.
Thanks and I will look up the theme....

As of tomorrow there will be 2 of us on BBs. The other 4 get theirs in a month. Maybe next year there will be 20, but as of now we don't have a policy except that it has to be an 8700 or 8800.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
stuxstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
1. I don't use PocketDay, there are a number of users on here who do. I use Outlook to sync with and it is seamless and easy.

2. On BES, you will have no delay, as quick as your server gets it. Seconds?

3. Yes, your voice notes will email to whomever you want or another BB or Phone. It uses MMS, I believe. I don't know about it being automatic, you have to tell it who to send to.

4. A good leather belt clip holster (may come with it). A good screen protector (ScreenPatronus). Lots of software threads on this board, recommended. You'll find many.

Good luck.
Thanks.... I appreciate the feed back. Instant email will be great. I get bomb on my email. I have 60-100 emails to read every day, outside of my job.

Screen protector, almost forgot about that!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuxstu View Post
Maybe next year there will be 20, but as of now we don't have a policy except that it has to be an 8700 or 8800.
By "policy" Dubdub means IT policy. They're used on the BES server to restrict Blackberries attached to the BES. In other words, make sure that there isn't an IT policy on the BES that prohibits the installation of 3rd party apps as some companies do this...
Old 06-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
stuxstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
By "policy" Dubdub means IT policy. They're used on the BES server to restrict Blackberries attached to the BES. In other words, make sure that there isn't an IT policy on the BES that prohibits the installation of 3rd party apps as some companies do this...
I understood, my company has yet to form any policy on the blackberries, except they will only purchase a 8700 or 8800. I wanted the 8300... I asked about software, they said ok....

Good chance me or the VP will break something... then they will create a policy. That is how our IT works on unimportant systems. Our IFS system is a total wreck and they are constantly trying to keep it running..
Closed Thread