Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .
Talking Strange Zen behaviour!!!

Please Login to Remove!

The Zen theme is, in my opinion, the best theme you can have on a BlackBerry. I've always found something odd with it though. On the main screen you've got your Messages inbox and you SMS/MMS inbox which is great. At the bottom 'BlackBerry' icon where you can click and pull up your submenu though has a trait you don't need. It lists everything in the main menu and everything in in the sub menu - you all know what I mean. Why do you need to see your main menu items twice??? For example my main menu is Messages, SMS, Address Book, Calendar, Browser, BlackBerry icon:

Yet if I click on my BlackBerry icon I have to scroll through all of the above before I can get anywhere near Options, Bluetooth and so on - pointless!!

Even hiding these options via 'Organise Applications' won't help you as you'd then hide them from the home screen too!!! I remember getting frustrated at this, and then one day I got up and they'd all disappeared from the sub menu, so my first icon in the sub menu was Options - great, apart from the fact I had no idea how it happened. So I forgot about this, and then today I upgraded my firmware to 4.1.0.351 and I'm back to square one....noooooo!!

Oh well, nevermind, but if you're watching RIM, you need to do some work on the 'ones' and 'zeros' to get that code up to scratch!

Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

It is for this very reason that I switched to the Vodafone today theme on my 7130c.

It's not too cluttered like the dimension today theme, and email, sms, calendar, call logs, and voicemail are all on the main screen, AND, when I hide those icons, they don't appear in the submenu view yet remain on the today screen, giving me access to those apps.

The only drawbacks of the theme is that (1) it doesn't allow you to use a custom wallpaper, but I like the "cleaner" look of the theme anyway, and (2) you can't choose the icons on the home screen.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
obijohn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster
The only drawbacks of the (Vodafone) theme is that (1) it doesn't allow you to use a custom wallpaper, but I like the "cleaner" look of the theme anyway, and (2) you can't choose the icons on the home screen.
EDIT: My comment below applies to the main Vodafone theme, not the "Today" theme which I now realize is what you were referring to.

Yes you can use a custom wallpaper with the Vodafone theme. I'm doing it right now. The only thing that bugs me about the theme is not being able to put icons into the "Applications" folder or move them out of it, which I guess is what you meant by (2). But all in all it's my favorite theme right now. The only reason I'm not using Zen is because it's just so painfully slow and buggy on my 7100t.

Last edited by obijohn; 08-25-2006 at 12:56 PM..
Old 08-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
jhayman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
TheIt lists everything in the main menu and everything in in the sub menu - you all know what I mean. Why do you need to see your main menu items twice???
There's a very good reason why you want them twice. I have my middle convenience key set to pick the applications list. That way, no matter where I am, I can switch to another application. e.g. if I'm reading mail, and I want to go to my browser, I just bring up the applications list, and switch to the browser. If not all applications were listed, I'd be ticked off.

This is arguably better than using the task switcher, because it includes non-open apps and I personally find it awkward to hit alt-click and then scroll between the open apps.

Quote:
Oh well, nevermind, but if you're watching RIM, you need to do some work on the 'ones' and 'zeros' to get that code up to scratch!
Au contraire! I think they did a very good job on this. e.g. when I bring up the menu, it remembers the last application I picked from the menu. So I usually don't have to scroll very far to find the next application I want to use. They've clearly thought about this. Or it's a programming error, and I've given them too much credit.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I have a different strategy being a fan of shortcuts. I put at the top 5 the apps I use most often that don't have a shortcut and then others that I use not quite as often. So on my home screen I have messages (so I can see unread), wireless on/off (for ease boarding planes), BT on/off, power on/off, and whatever IM I am using at that moment.

Main apps are accessed with shortcut keys.
Closed Thread