Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default My 8310 - Garmin for Blackberry vs. TeleNav

Please Login to Remove!

So I recently traded my 8320 for a 8310 that I will use on the T-Mobile netowrk and I should be getting it anytime soon. I did a search here on "Best GPS Software" and didnt get exactly what I was looking for.

From reading other forums and articles, I have narrowed my choices to Garmin for Blackberry and TeleNav. I am a fan of the 'one-time' fee and really dont care to add another $10/mo. bill to my resume, however I hear the TeleNav is simply favored amongst the BB world.

That being said, which would you guys recommend for me? If you are using a different software package than the 2 I speak of, feel free to chime in.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

Garmin offers a 30 day trial. I am on day one.

I really liked TomTom on my old Treo, but I will post back any insight regarding Garmin's offering.

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 06-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Very cool, hnsimpson, thanks. Are there any crippled features with the Garmin trial?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

Not that I've run into.

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

I tried MapQuest Navigator and Telenav and both are great. MQ offers a one time yearly charge of 49.95. So it is not a true one time charge like Garmin, but how many years will you have that specific BB device because that is the only device the $99 applies to. Get a new device and pay $99 again or at least that is how I read their licensing. MQ and Telenav are good on any device.

I ended up going with Telenav, but I think I would go with MQ if I were paying for it myself.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
wangta01

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Mapquest Navigator is by FAR the best of the three available. I continue to be surprised by people who prefer Telenav over MQ.

Advantages of Mapquest Navigator over Telenav:
1) Mapquest navigator downloads your route in the beginning, and can access this information regardless of service. So, for example, I was driving from Boston to Vermont a couple months ago - using Mapquest navigator, it downloaded the route, and through the 2.5 hour drive, it works without problems EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE CELL RECEPTION. Hell, you can even turn OFF your cell reception and mapquest navigator will still work (vermont cell receptoin sucks). You should care about this since Tmobile coverage is the worst - I have them too - I know ;)

2) Mapquest navigator downloads not only the optimal route, but also the roads nearby. Thus, if you take a wrong turn, it won't need to recalculate since it has the nearby roads in memory as well. Should you take a wrong turn it will instantaneously reroute you (unless you make 2 or 3 bad turns). With Garmin and Telenav, it will recalculate your route if you make ONE BAD TURN. Recalculating means redownloading over the air, which takes 30 seconds or more. This is a HUGE annoyance for me with both GARMIN and Telenav.

I tested telena vs mapquest navigator months ago, and the choice was easy - Mapquest is simply better than Telenav, for the reasons I mentioned above.

I have been testing Garmin vs Mapquest this week and again, prefer Mapquest navigator. Garmin, like Telenav, totally bugs out if you miss a turn and goes into recalculate mode, which took on avg 25 seconds. Freaking annoooooying.

Needles to say, I love the new Mapquest navigator (and no, I don't work for them). The new version of Mapquest navigator (v5) does street names, has AOL guide, and a ridiculously good "place/business" finding option which works extremely well. I was looking for Bank of America, simply typed it in and it found 5 around me. Off I went. wanted to find a Coffee Bean cofee shop - put it in, bang - found one .2 miles away from me. LAX airport - bang, 6 miles away. Hell, it even found a random Korea restaurant in Ktown LA! Simply put - I love Mapquest navigator. It is freakin awesome. Been using it in Boston, NYC, San Francisco, and now Los Angeles and be very satisfied with the performance. Bought an Arkon vent holder and I couldn't be more pleased (see picture here):

Regarding the price - note that Garmin is a one time payment for the LIFE OF THAT DEVICE, meaning you will have to buy another subscription should you get another phone! Sure, Mapquest costs $49.99 a year, so to be equal to Garmin, you buy subscription to Mapquest for 2 years. Well, I buy new phones ATLEAST every two years (you all know you'll upgrade to the Backberry Bold) - which basically makes mapquest and garmin the same. Plus, as i described above, Mapquest is simply a better product.

Try mapquest - there is a free 7 dial trial. It is freakin awesome - you will love it.

Last edited by wangta01; 06-25-2008 at 03:15 PM..
Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
Soapm

Carrier: TMO

I like the web interface that goes with Telenav. It also has a good interface to use while driving.

Garmin picks better routes in my area. It takes me out the back way which no other map does.

However, I will invest in MQ simply because of the price. I am a casual user so don't see why I should pay a premium price. I could get by with Google Maps but I like the voice telling me when to turn.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
casmer

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
Mapquest Navigator is by FAR the best of the three available. I continue to be surprised by people who prefer Telenav over MQ.

Advantages of Mapquest Navigator over Telenav:
1) Mapquest navigator downloads your route in the beginning, and can access this information regardless of service. So, for example, I was driving from Boston to Vermont a couple months ago - using Mapquest navigator, it downloaded the route, and through the 2.5 hour drive, it works without problems EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE CELL RECEPTION. Hell, you can even turn OFF your cell reception and mapquest navigator will still work (vermont cell receptoin sucks). You should care about this since Tmobile coverage is the worst - I have them too - I know ;)

2) Mapquest navigator downloads not only the optimal route, but also the roads nearby. Thus, if you take a wrong turn, it won't need to recalculate since it has the nearby roads in memory as well. Should you take a wrong turn it will instantaneously reroute you (unless you make 2 or 3 bad turns). With Garmin and Telenav, it will recalculate your route if you make ONE BAD TURN. Recalculating means redownloading over the air, which takes 30 seconds or more. This is a HUGE annoyance for me with both GARMIN and Telenav.

I tested telena vs mapquest navigator months ago, and the choice was easy - Mapquest is simply better than Telenav, for the reasons I mentioned above.

I have been testing Garmin vs Mapquest this week and again, prefer Mapquest navigator. Garmin, like Telenav, totally bugs out if you miss a turn and goes into recalculate mode, which took on avg 25 seconds. Freaking annoooooying.

Needles to say, I love the new Mapquest navigator (and no, I don't work for them). The new version of Mapquest navigator (v5) does street names, has AOL guide, and a ridiculously good "place/business" finding option which works extremely well. I was looking for Bank of America, simply typed it in and it found 5 around me. Off I went. wanted to find a Coffee Bean cofee shop - put it in, bang - found one .2 miles away from me. LAX airport - bang, 6 miles away. Hell, it even found a random Korea restaurant in Ktown LA! Simply put - I love Mapquest navigator. It is freakin awesome. Been using it in Boston, NYC, San Francisco, and now Los Angeles and be very satisfied with the performance. Bought an Arkon vent holder and I couldn't be more pleased (see picture here):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

Regarding the price - note that Garmin is a one time payment for the LIFE OF THAT DEVICE, meaning you will have to buy another subscription should you get another phone! Sure, Mapquest costs $49.99 a year, so to be equal to Garmin, you buy subscription to Mapquest for 2 years. Well, I buy new phones ATLEAST every two years (you all know you'll upgrade to the Backberry Bold) - which basically makes mapquest and garmin the same. Plus, as i described above, Mapquest is simply a better product.

Try mapquest - there is a free 7 dial trial. It is freakin awesome - you will love it.
How is your experience with MapQuest and battery life? One of the features I love with Telenav is the ability to have the screen only turn on around turns. If I am on a long stretch I don't need the screen on. This isn't that big a deal for me I guess since my previous experience with TomTom on a windows mobile device, but I do like that about Telenav. Any way to do this with MQ? I have seen there are 2 options for screen being on, but not sure if it operates like Telenavs. Insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
MBW

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A

MapQuest and Garmin are both working on major releases - I have the betas and both are good.

The new version of Amaze GPS is pretty good and is free.

TeleNav 5.1 is fine - 5.5 (aka AT&T Navigator is better)

Any of these will get you where you want to go.

You may also want to try the spoken turn-by-turn in Live Search (also free).
Old 06-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

So I will try out all the trial demos first before I break down and buy one. Someone pointed me to Nav4All because it is free and so far, I'm not too impressed with it.

Btw, awesome feedback so far here, they are very appreciated. For those that havent chimed in yet, please do so.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
PaCharger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T Cingular

Nav 4 blows....Blackberry Maps and Google Maps are pretty outstanding, free...easy GUI's.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCharger View Post
Nav 4 blows....Blackberry Maps and Google Maps are pretty outstanding, free...easy GUI's.
I am wanting Voice Turn-by-Turn and a good recalculator.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
wangta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmer View Post
How is your experience with MapQuest and battery life? One of the features I love with Telenav is the ability to have the screen only turn on around turns. If I am on a long stretch I don't need the screen on. This isn't that big a deal for me I guess since my previous experience with TomTom on a windows mobile device, but I do like that about Telenav. Any way to do this with MQ? I have seen there are 2 options for screen being on, but not sure if it operates like Telenavs. Insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mapquest has this feature too - so the screen lights up when a turn is coming up, then turns off when you have to drive straight for awhile (think highway when the next exit isn't for 20 miles). I think the setting is "Normal" on MQ v5. The other setting is "On while navigating" which keeps screen lit up the entire time.

With the normal setting, I can go hours (drove from Boston to VT many times with one battery). Just in case I go on longer rides, I bought a $9 blackberry car charger. With the charger handy, I run MQ typically with the screen always on.

I believe MQ also has a night mode, though I have never used it.

Side note but I also use my BB on my motorcycle. Bought a RAM mount, and a set of bluetooth earphones - can hear the turn-by-turn instructions while zipping around town with helmet on - it works great!

Last edited by wangta01; 06-25-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
wangta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBW View Post
MapQuest and Garmin are both working on major releases - I have the betas and both are good.
I don't belive MQ or Garmin are Betas are they? We have to pay for BETAS?? Betas typically imply unfinished, TRIAL versions right?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
Slovak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 319FC717
Carrier: Alltel

Does Garmin's one time fee of $99 include switching BB's if I upgrade to a newer model in the future, or is it just for the life of your current device?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
wangta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovak View Post
Does Garmin's one time fee of $99 include switching BB's if I upgrade to a newer model in the future, or is it just for the life of your current device?
? Read above!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #17
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Hehe, I think I am going to try MQ trial and TeleNav trial. This Nav4All just isnt for me. I'll keep this thread posted once I've made my decision.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #18
Slovak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 319FC717
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
? Read above!!!!!!!!!!!!
My bad, I missed that. Sucks anyway.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
wangta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by avelasqu View Post
Hehe, I think I am going to try MQ trial and TeleNav trial. This Nav4All just isnt for me. I'll keep this thread posted once I've made my decision.
Thats what I did too.

Here are a couple tests you should do:

1. Drive in place where there is no phone coverage.

2. Purposely miss a turn - see which recalculates or corrects your route better.

Obviously you will need to drive the same course with the same distination put in, once using MQ and the next using Telenav.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Yes, that sounds like my protocol for the "try demos"... I know I'm offloading Nav4All ASAP!! = )