Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
1earsarmy

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Exclamation PocketMac Alternatives?

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know any alternatives to pocketmac other than useing a pc because PocketMac does not seem to work

AT ALL!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
ma077146
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: 3019F3E6
Carrier: Sprint

Post a little more info and let's see if some of the Mac users can help you. What type of Mac, what version of PocketMac, and what specific problems are you having.

By the way, PocketMac is all there is for Mac users.

Like Coupons and Free Shipping?
http://thediscountdude.com
Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

*moving to mac users forum*
Old 07-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
Post a little more info and let's see if some of the Mac users can help you. What type of Mac, what version of PocketMac, and what specific problems are you having.

By the way, PocketMac is all there is for Mac users.

What? Seriously, have you used your search button lately? Markspace makes an excellent product called The Missing Sync .. You can find it here, I have found this product to be well worth the cost.

The Missing Sync for BlackBerry - Synchronize Mac OS X and BlackBerry
Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
fufuplatter

If you want to give Pocket Mac another shot, go to the BB website and download their patch. They have one for "high speed" models, whatever that means. But the patch seems to fix a few sync problems for me, as well as issues I kept having while trying to use my BB as a mass storage device.

Truth be told, Pocket Mac isn't going to do more than just the basics for you. If you want to spend some money (around $40 worth), you can get Missing Sync. I haven't tried it out myself, but I've heard it's not too bad (bottom line: waaay better than Pocket Mac).

I've resorted to dual booting with Boot Camp. Sadly that seems to be the best and cheapest way.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
1earsarmy

Carrier: ATT

macbook with lepord

i have a blackberry curve
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
FullFlashGSMPH

Model: 7110g
Carrier: black

thanks usefull post and thread
Old 07-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
jfkeith
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I've been using a macbook with my 8310 for the last year, and I have tried both PocketMac and MissingSync. I personally feel that MissingSync is a far superior app. The first sync may take a little tweaking of the settings to get it just right, but after that it should be smooth sailing. I haven't encountered a problem with it in as long as I can remember.

Of course it would be nice if RIM could come out with something a little more specific to us Mac users, but until then I'd say go for MissingSync.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #9
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

from what I have heard about missing sync, i can recommend it.

i am still using pocketmac and it is really not the app you want to use. anyway, it's free ...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have used both apps Pocket Mac and Missing Sync, I can promise you that the Missing Sync is far superior. It is more than worth the $$$ ... If RIM were to get off their bottoms and give us Mac users a level playing field it would be an application very similar to Missing Sync.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
sabotage79
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: verizon

Too bad a good solution costs more money.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
thecountof
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: O2 Uk

is anyone using missing sync with a macbook pro and Entourage 2004? I'm using pocketmac and its really buggy at times. Even starts to mix up notes into your contact list!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
pkasin

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Missing Sync Vs. PocketMac

Pay the money for Missing Sync. I had MANY problems with PocketMac, and found it would occasionally corrupt my data!

I have actually gotten away from using Entourage since Leopard iCal and Address book have been greatly improved (I don't miss it at all). I can tell you that the problems between PocketMac with Entourage were untenable.

If you're not on 10.5 (OS X), I think you should consider it. However, Missing Sync for me is the ONLY option. I have also heard that they are about to launch a Bluetooth sync solution for Blackberry.

We all hope RIM (can you hear me now, RIM?) decides that there should be a better solution. Until that time (and probably even after), Missing Sync is by far the best solution.

I don't have the time to mess around with scr*wed up data anymore! I only have time enough to waste on BlackBerry forums!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
pnd4pnd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

beware if you have a bold or storm missing sync does not work. even their new beta does not work. their support seems to be non-existent. I spent the money and regret it.

Eric
Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #15
vidmaster99

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

New beta works for me with my Storm, just fine.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
KerriK

Model: 8900
PIN: Ask and you may receive ;)

I recently purchased Missing Sync and I've experienced NO issues at all. I'm so glad I made the switch from PocketMac....it was downright awful.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #17
brightav

Default MissingSync - Yes ... Update Device OS - No?

No contest. MissingSync is the only thing to use. With the free PocketMac, it was a simply a matter of "you get what you pay for". It was brutal. Although I've had my BB for about a year, I just began researching updating the device's OS (from v4.2.2.170) ... very dismayed to find that it apparently cannot be done on a Mac ... thus both PocketMac and MissingSync (as good as it is) are useless in this regard. I'd love to be wrong here.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
manofdestiny

Default MissingSync - PocketMac = Garbage

I have the new Bold and have tried both PocketMac and MissingSync. Neither worked fully or consistently. PocketMac will not sync with the Mac apps but will talk to Entourage 2008 Calendar, but not contacts. MissingSync screwed up data and also wouldn't sync with Mac apps.

I purchased MissingSync and before doing so emailed sales and got in writing that they would refund within 30 days if it didn't work. I have my refund. I also tried their beta but that was too buggy and I didn't have time to mess with it.

I come from the Windows world where I've lived for the last 18 years and are loving the Mac experience except for this issue. It is very frustrating and disappointing to say the least.

My advice if you are going to use MS, don't buy unless you get a guarantee in writing first of a refund. If you use PocketMac and have the new Bold or Storm, be prepared for issues and be sure to upgrade the USB connection driver from RIM right after installing the latest PocketMac. That at least enabled the connection between my Bold and Mac.

From what I've seen, it's only the Bold and Storm owners who are having problems so if you are searching the forums before making up your mind and have either of these, make sure that applies when someone says it works for them.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #19
ramrodjlg

Carrier: T-Mobile

I just recently got the Bold and Missing Sync works well. I dont use Entourage but everything else syncs' right up, including iTunes.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
JiveTurkey

I've tried everything and the only thing that comes close to working reliably is to route stuff through Google and use Google Sync for Blackberry. It was simple to set up: I saved iCal to my desktop, created a Google account, and uploaded my calendar. Then I used the downloadable setup tool from Google and that did the rest (allowed me to access Google through iCal, etc). Now my calendar and contacts stay in sync without having to use another program or USB cable. It does not work for tasks, music, etc.

I had been using Missing Sync, but it has been flaky since the 4.5 upgrade.
Closed Thread