Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell
Default My list of 8100 irritants.

Please Login to Remove!

Disclaimer: I love my 8100, this list is just to point out a few things that, for the most part, seem easily corrected. Maybe some of them already have solutions.

Carrier: Rogers
OS version: 4.2.0.51

In no particular order...

- no hard reboot method without pulling battery.

- around once a week, my phone has a "Sim Card Error". Can't be corrected without hard rebooting, thus, the irritation over the last item.

- lack of, in my opinion, simple yet critical navigation functions in media player, e.g., page up and page down to scroll MP3's, random play, etc.

- slow CPU. This may be a feature (I've read that the reason BB's generally have superior battery life is due to purposefully slow CPU speeds. But this is a media device and I've downloaded a couple of games that are unusable the performance is so bad (e.g.: Devil Hunter, specifically created or at least ported for the Pearl),

- Possible corruption problems with the media card. I've run across a few occasions where I could delete a picture (it says "File System Error"). I leave it alone and later on I can delete the picture. Far worse: I had to re-format my media card a couple of weeks ago after losing a semi-important file I saved in the root directory while using the device in mass storage mode (to transfer a few things). Basically, the Pearl no longer recognised the media card. I was able to get everything off of it using a card reader (except for the file noted above). Then I reformatted using the Pearl, and copied everything back onto it. Hasn't happened since. Maybe I unplugged the 8100 without first disconnecting the drive in Windows, but I swear I didn't do something that dumb. Who knows.

- As many have posted in here, the device seems to have a problem runnig low on memory. I believe it happens when, for instance, I send a bunch of MMS messages (pictures) and the files are saved for 30 days (or whatever your email settings dictate). Then, instead of clearing out these files, it starts automatically clearing the call log, etc. Or maybe it's just a file caching issue, since a hard reboot always clears a bunch of space. Seems like something that could be fine tuned.

- Spinning CPU issue. Nothing like my 7780 (ugh), but I can't say I ever saw the spinner with my 8700.

- Application Switching. This is more of a minor nit, but on my older BB's, simply hitting the ALT-ESC sequence (without scrolling through running apps), always brought me back to the hoime screen automatically. Now I have to scroll to the home icon to get back home. Annoying.

- Too many button presses for phone tasks. Example: If I call up a contact from the phone log or contact list and hit the green Send button, I then have to scroll to the number I want dialed (i.e, Work, Mobile, Home), Then hit the select button. That's three unique keys I have to hit to make a call for a contact with more than one number attached. It's easily solved by allowing the green send key to be used to select the number on the list, instead of the select button. This seems nitpicky, but I would say 70% of the time, the number I want ("Work") is preselected, so all I would have to press is the green key twice (with a brief glance to make sure). I can't remember, but I would swear this was the way my 8700 worked. Then there's the strange "Do you want to end this call and return to the Home screen?" message when I hit the red end key after a call. Why? Just end the damn call and don't ask questions.

- backlight issue. Don't think I have to elaborate.

That's about it. Others have been coevered in here that don't bother me in the least and probably most of the list above doesn't bother others.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

give it another few weeks and you'll have a much nicer mp3 player for your pearl:

meshsystem >> meshMp3 first screenshots

working through some bugs at the moment and still have some features to implement but it's shaping up nicely. it'll (hopefully) have the capability to scan the sd and automatically import all mp3's to a playlist, fully file explorer, random, shuffle, loop etc etc
Old 12-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Wow - I don't have a Pearl, but I must say - the issues you outline would drive me nuts!
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 12-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
Szadzik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn
- slow CPU. This may be a feature (I've read that the reason BB's generally have superior battery life is due to purposefully slow CPU speeds. But this is a media device and I've downloaded a couple of games that are unusable the performance is so bad (e.g.: Devil Hunter, specifically created or at least ported for the Pearl)
I don't know how slow the CPU in the Pearl is, but I have one question:

Have you ever tried a WM or Symbian Smartphone?

Just try any of the Windows Mobile devices or Symbian devices and you will know, that the Pearl is one of the fastest smartphones on the market.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
lovemaster
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik
I don't know how slow the CPU in the Pearl is, but I have one question:

Have you ever tried a WM or Symbian Smartphone?

Just try any of the Windows Mobile devices or Symbian devices and you will know, that the Pearl is one of the fastest smartphones on the market.
i did and i couldnt tell a difference in the processor speed, both symbian and WM5. symbian mostly nokia right? and tried dash no differance in speed.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
geekdaddy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

I've been using windows mobile devices for several years now. They're much improved and better than ever, but the Pearl is more responsive.

I purchased my pearl a little over a week ago and I'm impressed with how fast it responds vs the windows devices I've used. In addition, the windows devices sometimes go "out to lunch" at critical times. 95% of the time they're o.k., but every now and then you need to look up a quick phone number and the phone stalls for 3-5 seconds while you wait and wonder if you have to pull the battery. Typically happens when they get low on mem...

The messenger and phone screens on the pearl are also much more user friendly. Tap the pearl on a missed call. You can call them back, view their address book record, call them back on a different number, send an SMS or email, etc. On WM5 devices, you get a log where you can call back the number -- that's it.

Like I said, the WM5 devices are good and they keep getting better. In fact, they have much more refined/polished multimedia apps vs the Pearl. But I'm impressed with the pearl's performance and how well it functions in the apps (email, calendar, etc.) that matter the most. I use the pearl multimedia functions but not much and they're not real important to me.

As for resets, I haven't had to reset my Pearl very much since I got it. I agree that the battery pull is a pain. The start-up time is also much longer than any WM5 or Palm-based smartphone I've used. My WM5 devices were much easier and faster to reset, however, it's a good thing they were because I typically had to reboot them every 2-3 days.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: t-mobile

the pearl processor speed is fine for the apps running on it, if the speed is throttled to help conserve battery power then that'll only show when running intensive applications like games. more power does not = better phone. you wouldn't want a dualcore pentium running your washing machine. it's the responsiveness of the ui that counts and the overall experience.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
alche

Quote:
- Application Switching. This is more of a minor nit, but on my older BB's, simply hitting the ALT-ESC sequence (without scrolling through running apps), always brought me back to the hoime screen automatically. Now I have to scroll to the home icon to get back home. Annoying.

I just hit the red "end" button and that takes me to the home screen from any app. This does not close the application, just takes you back to home.

I agree with the hard reset, pretty annoying. I do not really mind the media issues as media capabilities on the phone is just a "nice to have" for me. I rarely listen an mp3 or take photos with my pearl.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
Szadzik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaster
i did and i couldnt tell a difference in the processor speed, both symbian and WM5. symbian mostly nokia right? and tried dash no differance in speed.
I'm not talking about the actual processor speed, but about responsiveness. My last phone was S-E M600 and it was a looooot slower than the pearl. Opening the messages folder took him a few seconds. Moving in the menu was veeery slow.
In fact I don't care if it's a 200MHz pCPU or 400MHz CPU if the interface makes them run the same or even allows the slower processor be faster in reality.

P.S. Symbian is NOT only Nokia. It's also S-E and Motorola nad many other manufacturers.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
Lecter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone Germany

My biggest gripe is the almost non functional calendar app. I live with my agenda and it's unacceptable to only have two appointments display on the homepage of the Pearl; add to this that it only displays the time of your appointment an hour before it occurs, can lead to being late!! How hard is it to build an app like 2Day that I had on my Treo? And no, I don't like the 2 pps that are out there for the Pearl, GUI in both are horrible!!
Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
AngelJo008

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I'm surprised no one has sad this yet.....this is the FIRST media phone that RIM has put out. of course there are gloing to be some lags and tweaks. You may have listed all of the cons on this phone, but as for my experience, I have owned a tone of phones, both WM5, Symbian, Palm, and BB; I have to say I will NEVER use a WM5 device again. I Love the BB UI. Give it some time...BB is still tweaking the OS and you will be seeing other features and phones that have refined some of the issues that you stated
Old 12-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

OK throw tomatoes - Suretype
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
BB4Life

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

People will never be satisfied-That's Life!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
rkkeller

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Disclaimer: I love my 8100, this list is just

There is a learning curve with everything new and you just have to get used to how the new device does things. You keep comparing how the Pearl does things to your older phones, its not your other phone its the Pearl. It works much differently than what I was used to also, I just use it how it works.

The speed and memory issues all are dependent on how you use it, what programs you have loaded, etc... Use one of the threads here to delete all the unwanted languages and stuff, set the keep until for txt/mms to 15 days or just "delete prior" manually every now and then. Also I use the on/off timer to soft reset the Pearl everynight. That helps and what I do.

The sim card or media card issue could be anything really. Could be something you did, could be the 3rd party media card, could be the latch for the sim card is not fully hooked (I did this myself), etc.... I dont think its a Pearl itself problem as you dont really know and I dont see others with the same issues.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller
There is a learning curve with everything new and you just have to get used to how the new device does things. You keep comparing how the Pearl does things to your older phones, its not your other phone its the Pearl. It works much differently than what I was used to also, I just use it how it works.
You actually quoted my original disclaimer and yet seem not to have read it. And at least 2 of the issues listed aren't just "how the 8100 works", or at least I hope not. Finally, I posted this in part hoping someone could offer a solution to any of these issues, and alche gave me a solution to the task switching issue. Thanks alche.

Quote:
The speed and memory issues all are dependent on how you use it, what programs you have loaded, etc... Use one of the threads here to delete all the unwanted languages and stuff, set the keep until for txt/mms to 15 days or just "delete prior" manually every now and then. Also I use the on/off timer to soft reset the Pearl everynight. That helps and what I do.
The CPU speed certainly isn't dependent on how I use it. The spinning hourglass: yes. CPU speed: no. Try downloading Devil Hunter for yourself: it looks like a nifty little first person shooter specifically for the Pearl. WM devices have been able to run games like that for literally years now (PalmOS too), but the game comes defaulted to a tiny little window size on the Pearl. It's not hard to see why: if you enlarge the window, the game is unusable.

The CPU issue really isn't a big deal to me, it just made the list, that's all.

Quote:
The sim card or media card issue could be anything really. Could be something you did, could be the 3rd party media card, could be the latch for the sim card is not fully hooked (I did this myself), etc.... I dont think its a Pearl itself problem as you dont really know and I dont see others with the same issues.
I never said it was the Pearl's fault. I personally think it's a Rogers network problem, but you're right though: I should probably just shut up about it and mind my own business. I mean, who would want to compare and discuss issues like that on an online forum anyway?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #16
Longhornfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB4Life
People will never be satisfied-That's Life!
true dat!
Old 12-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
bjanz

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default The Pearl is one heck of a nice device

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelJo008
I'm surprised no one has sad this yet.....this is the FIRST media phone that RIM has put out. of course there are gloing to be some lags and tweaks. You may have listed all of the cons on this phone, but as for my experience, I have owned a tone of phones, both WM5, Symbian, Palm, and BB; I have to say I will NEVER use a WM5 device again. I Love the BB UI. Give it some time...BB is still tweaking the OS and you will be seeing other features and phones that have refined some of the issues that you stated
Absolutely right. I have also owned WM devices before, and I had both a Treo 600 and a 650 on Sprint before I converted to a BB 7130e. And, I recently dumped Sprint for T-Mobile and the Pearl. So far, this looks like the best decision I have made re. cell service providers and smart phones.

For all intents and purposes, this is a "version 1" device for RIM: it has a camera, media player, voice dialing, a rollerball instead of the clickwheel, a media card socket, and a whole raft of other new features that aren't found in *any* other RIM device. The very fact that they have introduced this device means that they're willing to try new ground-breaking technologies -- and their first attempt is pretty damn good, if you ask me.

It's a complex device. If you were lookin' for a simple phone, you'd have bought one. Instead, you bought one of the most complex smartphones on the market: a virtually-complete handheld data management system.

Give 'em time. Software can be fixed with updates that'll be released after RIM has time to test 'em to make sure that the fixes don't break any current features (something Microsoft has never learned to do). Other fixes will come over time, too.

You were willing to give RIM a chance on their first attempt to make a forward-looking device with a mostly brand new design, instead of another Blackberry with minor enhancements over a previous model.

In my case, I *APPLAUD* RIM for the Pearl.

And, I keep one other thing in mind, too: it's just a cell phone, folks.

\burt
(embedded Linux developer: device drivers, new processor ports, etc.)
Old 12-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #18
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjanz
...you bought one of the most complex smartphones on the market: a virtually-complete handheld data management system...
..it's just a cell phone, folks.
Head spinning. Anyway, I'm not criticising, I'm applauding too. Remember me? The guy who "I love my Pearl"? It's worth listing and discussing fixable problems, IMO.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #19
bjanz

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default re. "it's just a cell phone"...

My meaning was unclear - sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to get ya dizzy...

By "it's just a cell phone", I meant that it isn't a home heating system in northern Minnesota, clean water, a cardiac pacemaker, or something that is *vital* to one's life and health.

It's just a cell phone. Essentially, it's "throw-away" technology that we can all live without. Heck, there are times I *turn the damn thing off* so I can enjoy some peace and quiet.

\burt
(who remembers life *before* untethered telephone technology...)
Old 12-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #20
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjanz
My meaning was unclear - sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to get ya dizzy...

By "it's just a cell phone", I meant that it isn't a home heating system in northern Minnesota, clean water, a cardiac pacemaker, or something that is *vital* to one's life and health.

It's just a cell phone. Essentially, it's "throw-away" technology that we can all live without. Heck, there are times I *turn the damn thing off* so I can enjoy some peace and quiet.

\burt
(who remembers life *before* untethered telephone technology...)
Heh, no worries, just being fun. But as far as the throw away part: I've been basically running a business out of my Blackberry for the last 3 years. Yeah, it's not a pacemaker, but I simply could not have accomplished the things I have in recent years without it. Also, I'm finding more and more that in the business world, people now demand instant access to other people be it through a cell phone, email or both. And being the shill that I am, I'm all too willing to fall in line if it means more money. Geez that sounds hollow.
Closed Thread