Old 12-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #81
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRider
Don't see anything for me in the 8800. 3G is next on my wish list.
My interest in the 8800 is beginning to fade. One major reason is lack of 3G. I have a feeling that RIM is bound to offer it in the not too distant future. I would hate to buy an 8800 only to find that less than a few months later a 3G model is announced.

My 7130 is currently filling my needs perfectly. The only improvement I would like is 3G.

At this point I'm taking a wait & see postion.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:49 AM   #82
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS

Well said Gary!!! I had an 8700c. I also tried the Cingular Blackjack and Palm Treos. The keys are too close together and a pain to type with. Gotta love the Pearl's small form factor and everything else you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD
I've used both QWERTY BB's at work and have tested for over a month, the PPC6700. The units are heavy and bulky - the Pearl is sleak and small and plenty of bright screen to read bold emails, web pages, and even movies. It has been awsome so far with no hickups on the system that couldnt be easily resolved and never came back. The latest software out allows you to load up several full length movies if you want. As far as WiFi - I use the Pearl as a modem for my laptop when I need it. I was pleasantly surprise on how fast Suretype learned new words as you type them and makes it easier to use every day. Less keys also makes it easier for me vs. the full QWERTY. The Pearl is here to stay for me unless a more powerful Pearl2 comes out that compels me to upgrade. The 8800 keys will be too close, too small and too confusing. PEARL FOR ME.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #83
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS

I tried the Cingular Blackjack. 3G has noticeably faster web browsing speeds, but EDGE is fast enough for me. I heard that 3G is a total battery burner. I guess that's why you get two batteries with the Blackjack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
My interest in the 8800 is beginning to fade. One major reason is lack of 3G. I have a feeling that RIM is bound to offer it in the not too distant future. I would hate to buy an 8800 only to find that less than a few months later a 3G model is announced.

My 7130 is currently filling my needs perfectly. The only improvement I would like is 3G.

At this point I'm taking a wait & see postion.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:40 PM   #84
Dyffwd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

I might. The integrated GPS functionality is a big plus to me, but I'd miss the camera......
Old 12-26-2006, 05:51 AM   #85
electricbluepeter

Model: 8100

looks sweet.. I'll definitely be considering it!
Old 12-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #86
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11
I tried the Cingular Blackjack. 3G has noticeably faster web browsing speeds, but EDGE is fast enough for me. I heard that 3G is a total battery burner. I guess that's why you get two batteries with the Blackjack.
You bring up an excellent point about power consumption.

I have a few friends with the Blackjack and the Samsung Sync A707, and I have been getting some interesting feedback from them. Also it's important to remember how they are used affects the feedback we hear.

So far the early reports are about how slow the BlackJack is when attempting to multitask and that it tends to switch back to EDGE even when in a strong 3G area. Then there is the issue about cramped keys around the navigation control which causes unintended keystrokes and problems. Regarding battery life it does appear to a weak area, as one of the BlackJack users that uses it as his main phone says that he has to leave home with two fully charged batteries to make it through the day.

3G Performance:
While on paper and in actual usage when connected to the 3G network it's quite fast and stable, there seems to be a lot of variables that prevent a good consistent 3G signal at all times. And this is from someone who is in a 3G enabled area and does not travel outside of it.

So my read on this is that certainly sometime in the future this will all be worked out, however for now I think it's simply too early.

Cheers....
Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #87
darkmark
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: o2

For those of you that care, word is (from a number of different rim sources) that wifi has been dropped from the 8800 spec as it was too problematic (battery, roaming etc) and the big sell will be the GPS.

Came as a bit of a blow to me as i have wifi set across 2000 of my locations and could have used it to drive down the cost of my data plans.

bugger....
Old 12-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #88
DallasAtty

Carrier: Cingular
Default I'll Keep the Pearl

I recently got an 8100 to replace my Treo 680 (that I had recently received . . . wife dropped it and broke it!). The only other BlackBerry I have used is the 8700c, which I thought was the greatest device I'd ever used (had Treo 600, HPsomethingorother, 8700c, Treo 680, Cingular 8525 in the last two years). Blackberry just does things right . . . which is why I recently switched to a Mac for my home computer and will be doing so in 2007 for my work computer. In this day and age, ease of use and small learning curve are very important since everyone I know is always on the go.

I didn't think I would like the 8100 because every device I've had was full QWERTY and I couldn't see how this new-fangled Suretype thing would work nearly as well. What I have found is that, for me, it works even better than full QWERTY, and I have large fingers! One thing that is important to me is one-handed use, which is why I preferred the Treos to the WM devices, and Suretype makes that extremely easy to do. The key to using Suretype, for me, is that you can't look at the screen while you type. For example, when I'm typing "Dallas" it goes through all these iterations of letter combinations until it hit the last "s" . . . and then it's Dallas every time. Add to that the fact that it only took one correction to remember my wife's name (Tristina . . . not what you'd call a popular name) and other proper nouns. I'm extremely impressed with it. Oh, and the BBOS is head and shoulders above the Palm and (especially) WM/WM5 OS's!

I think the 8800 will be a great device, but the form factor and features of the Pearl is right in my sweet spot. I actually thing typing on the 8800 will be more difficult because the keys will necessarily be small, the thinness of the phone will make holding it two-handed awkward and it will be almost impossible to do one-handed. And I'm not really a fan of wide and thin . . . call it a bias for the Golden Ratio, I guess. The Pearl, on the other hand, feels like the perfect balance between small size and substantialness in my hands. I'm not sure the form factor can be improved on much.

I'm sure something "better" and absolutely positive something newer with more features will always be around the corner. Someday, looking back on the Pearl will be as funny as looking back on those bricks with the whip antennae, but, for me anyway, that day seems like a far-off dream. Long story short -- I'll be sticking with the Pearl for the foreseeable future (which, in the world of technology, and mobile devices in particular, seems to be limited to six-to-eight months ).
Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #89
damianp67

Model: 8100c

Pearl is the best phone/blackberry to date for me. I forgot what it was like to have a small phone! I don't think I will switch to a 8800. I will look at a next gen version of a pearl if it has 3G and wifi.

I came from a 8700c.(7290 prior)
Old 12-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #90
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasAtty
I recently got an 8100 to replace my Treo 680 (that I had recently received . . . wife dropped it and broke it!).
One can tell you are an attorney and a competent/professional one at that. Your post is organized, well written, clear and concise. Oh... and not too many grammar errors. Just thought I'd comment to embarrass you.

I agree with EVERYTHING you say. It's almost as if I wrote the post. For me too the Pearl is the best "phone" I have ever owned.

In fact, I consider my Pearl so uber-cool that I can't imagine what RIM can do to improve it. I was thinking about this yesterday while on my road bike. I was listening to MP3's, able to receive phone calls, and after hearing an e-mail notifier through the earphones, able to pull over to read fed court e-mails that I was expecting. I tried to think of what might motivate me to get something different to replace the Pearl and I could not imagine what features would cause me to shelve my Pearl. The 8800 will not be the device to cause me to cheat on my Pearl, so to speak.

Yes, the OS and some other features could be tweaked, but the phone itself, as a hardware device, seems perfect [albeit an all metal phone might be cool, I guess]. I'm not too sure I would even care to have a faster connection since it's impractical to surf the net on a Pearl albeit I like the idea of using the Pearl as a modem. So a T1 Pearl some day. Well, that would make my current Pearl drawer ballast.

Side Note: I am dealing with about 1000 pages of Summary Judgment and Counter Summery Judgment Motions, all papers due January 12. Why don't you write my papers for me instead of wasting your time on BBF. Can't pay you of course.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 12-29-2006 at 12:37 PM..
Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #91
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

IF it ever did come to Verizon I would jump from my 8703e. Otherwise I love the 8703e. Had the 7105t with TMO and SureType. Once you get used to it (SureType) is is fine. Had it for 2 years w/o a problem.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #92
DallasAtty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Side Note: I am dealing with about 1000 pages of Summary Judgment and Counter Summery Judgment Motions, all papers due January 12. Why don't you write my papers for me instead of wasting your time on BBF. Can't pay you of course.
So what you're saying is that you want to be a typical client? Sorry, I'm on vacation!

Good luck with all that. Those big federal cases are why I'm doing less and less business litigation. It's getting ridiculous.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #93
timbit

Lightbulb

ibrg, thanks for posting the details. I had heard about this, but hadn't seen the info yet. (newbie on here and to the pearl)

If this had come out when I was just shopping for a new phone, yes I would have gone with the 8800 as I do like the full keyboard and separate keys. My fingers are not huge, but I find it easy to press the wrong one when typing, and I like not having to look at the keyboard for every word.

Finally I am disappointed that the phone is still 1.3MP. These days they should be able to get to 3 at least without any difficulty.

I do like the looks, but since I just got my pearl 2 weeks ago, I think I will stick with it.

Now if I can just figure out how to access and view MS-Word documents stored on my phone.

timbit
Old 12-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #94
Bennett5000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Pearl = perfection ( finally)
Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #95
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasAtty
I'll be sticking with the Pearl for the foreseeable future (which, in the world of technology, and mobile devices in particular, seems to be limited to six-to-eight months ).
Welcome to 2007, where progress has reduced the average upgrade / obsolescence time from 6 to 8 months (as you suggested) to a very exciting 1 to 3 months. Therefore increasing product sales.

Finally one of the most important goals of the major cell phone manufacturers is to compress than time down to the 10 seconds or so it takes us to remove the new phone from the box!

Yes Fred, the phone was new when I bought it, but obsolete by the time I drove home and took it out of the box..............
Old 01-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #96
rkdvsm

I love my Pearl. But a well-known reviewer of BB devices said that the 8800 will be cool, but the "perfect" BB will be something with a 9XXX model. That will incorporate all power of the typical BB (which the 8800 is expected to have) and the size of the 8100 Pearl.

I trust this reviewer and I'm waiting for that to come out!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #97
septahedra

I just moved to pearl from 7105t, so I'm very familiar (and fond of) suretype. The form factor of the 7105t and 8100 is ideal for me because I need a phone first and a pda/email/browser second. I do need access to email and web browser 24/7 but mostly to monitor stuff and not to compose replies all day long, so I can definitely live without a full qwerty keyboard. As long as I have access to reliable push-email and a halfway decent web browser, I will opt for the smallest BB available, and at this moment it's the pearl.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #98
griffjnr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800f
Carrier: Orange UK

I just upgraded to the pearl 2 weeks ago so I have to wait 9 months before I get a free upgrade. But if it has the capabilities listed in this forum and was sexy looking like the black phots earlier in the thread, then I definately would.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #99
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

like suretype more than qwerty - am i one of the few?
love the trackball.
really love the form factor.
love the pearl.
waited so long for a phone like this. i aint switchin
Old 02-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #100
JN99

I got the Pearl for the small size - not interested in a big ol chunk like the 8800 anymore than I was the 8700. A nice small device that fits easily into a pocket is ewhat I want, and have
Closed Thread