BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
kenau_reveas

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default which plan to select. BIS or BES

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys, i just bought Blackberry pearl from Cingular. Right now i have $39.99 plan. i want to get BIS or BES plan. I am not sure which one to choose? I am a student and i will use this blackberry for emails and GPS and Messaging. can anyone please guide me on this? I really can use some help here.

Thanks,
Old 01-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Unless you will be using this to access corporate work email, the BIS plan sounds like it will be best for you. I would start for with that, and if you see the need to upgrade to a hosted BES later, you can always change it.

Good luck, and welcome!

Please try a Search
Old 01-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
kenau_reveas

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

thanks for a quick response. can you tell me if messaging and browsing will be free in BIS or not?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
rarooney

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Browsing and messaging costs have to do with your cingular plan, not whether or not you are a BIS customer.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Pearl
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100

I would go with bes. I hear it is much better.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

BES is better, however it will cost you another monthly fee from a BES hosting service. You get wireless sync for all your data, i.e. calendar, address book, memo pad, tasks, etc. including data for almost all the BB apps. It's a great service.

BIS will give you data includingemail, pin messaging, internet, and everything else that BES will except for the wireless sync for all your data. You'll need to backup your data regularly in case you ever need to restore it.

Generally the data plans from the carriers are cheaper if you are not going to use BES so you can save money with BIS and just use the Desktop manager program to backup your phone. If you are not using BES then drop down to a data plan that doesn't include BES services. You won't lose anything.

Your data plan many times does NOT include any SMS/MMS text messaging. If you like to text message be sure you get a plan that includes SMS/MMStext messaging.

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by John Clark; 01-02-2007 at 12:27 PM..
Old 01-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Aren't there a few apps that let you IM using data and which would thus be free under the regular BIS plan? (I'm not sure as I don't IM --!!-- but that is the gist I got from skimming some posts. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze
Aren't there a few apps that let you IM using data and which would thus be free under the regular BIS plan? (I'm not sure as I don't IM --!!-- but that is the gist I got from skimming some posts. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes there is lots of available software for that. Check the aftermarket software discussions for Yak on, Ramble, etc.

Last edited by John Clark; 01-02-2007 at 07:30 PM..
Old 01-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
VanillaEps
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I use the BB for the same purposes and use Cingular as my provider. I chose the BIS unlimited plan. That includes unlimited data and 1000 text messages for 39.99.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
rkdvsm

Okay...what does BES and BIS stand for??? Obviously I'm a noob
Old 01-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
VanillaEps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdvsm
Okay...what does BES and BIS stand for??? Obviously I'm a noob
BES = Blackberry Enterprise Server
BIS = Blackberry Internet Service
Old 01-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
rkdvsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps
BES = Blackberry Enterprise Server
BIS = Blackberry Internet Service
Thanks for the quick reply.

If I understand this correctly, BES is for the corporate employees who have companies that support BES while BIS is for the everyday user who wishes to go online and check emails.

BIS is $20/month, yes?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #13
ajp00

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
BES is better, however it will cost you another monthly fee from a BES hosting service. You get wireless sync for all your data, i.e. calendar, address book, memo pad, tasks, etc. including data for almost all the BB apps. It's a great service.

BIS will give you data includingemail, pin messaging, internet, and everything else that BES will except for the wireless sync for all your data. You'll need to backup your data regularly in case you ever need to restore it.

Generally the data plans from the carriers are cheaper if you are not going to use BES so you can save money with BIS and just use the Desktop manager program to backup your phone. If you are not using BES then drop down to a data plan that doesn't include BES services. You won't lose anything.

Your data plan many times does NOT include any SMS/MMS text messaging. If you like to text message be sure you get a plan that includes SMS/MMStext messaging.

I hope this makes sense.
Can you use BES with multiple phones on 2 carriers? For instance if my company has 5 employees with Cingular and 5 with Sprint, will BES with one of the carriers work with other carriers phones? Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp00
Can you use BES with multiple phones on 2 carriers? For instance if my company has 5 employees with Cingular and 5 with Sprint, will BES with one of the carriers work with other carriers phones? Thanks
Yes, once your company has a BES in place you can put any BB from any carrier on it.
Closed Thread