Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
webberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: att
Default Massive Call Logs Delaying Enterprise Activation

Please Login to Remove!

With BES 4.0, is there anyway to trim call logs so all that data does not cause EA take literally hours to complete?
We have many users that have over 10,000 calls logged each and when getting a replacement device, the activation process is unacceptably slow.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I try to remember to delete my call log from my BB when I do an EA. You might tell the users to do the same.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:08 AM   #3
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

I think the op is saying that these call logs are interferring with a NEW blackberry handheld (ie "replacement device") activation.
These new replacement devices, shouldn't have call logs on them.....so.....is he/she saying these are syncing back from the BES server?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #4
Nirshaamah

Model: 8800
Carrier: multiple

Yes they do - the Call Logs are being backed up and also restored upon an Enterprise Activation.
Clearing the Logs on the "old" device works only if its still accessible and not lost or broken.
The only way i know to get rid of them is to Clear the Wireless Backup Data on the Server Console, but this clears all other settings also (Filter, Icon Arrangements, Display settings etc etc9
Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #5
Stern
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone UK

you can clear the call logs database on the device itself using the advanced tool within the backup/restore part of the desktop manager.

Quote:
Temporarily delete the Desktop [SYNC] service book on the device by completing the following steps:

1. Connect the device to the personal computer with a USB cable.
2. On the device Home screen, click Options and select Service Book.
3. Select Desktop [SYNC], click the trackwheel, and select Delete.
4. In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, double-click Backup and Restore and click Advanced.
5. Clear the database (for example, Address Book, MemoPad, Tasks, Calendar) and close the Backup and Restore window.
6. On the device Home screen, click Options and select Service Book.
7. Click the trackwheel and select Undelete.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
mkb

We were having the same problem, and since the manual removal of the call logs is a pain, we just disabled the back-up of the call log through IT policy. We've had the policy in place for a month or two now and haven't received any complaints.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
webberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stern
you can clear the call logs database on the device itself using the advanced tool within the backup/restore part of the desktop manager.
Most of the time the reactivation is due to replacement of a lost or damaged Blackberry, so this is not an option.

So, there is no way to limit the call log backup to only the last X days with BES 4.0?

Last edited by webberry; 09-21-2006 at 09:25 AM..
Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
PhanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkb
We were having the same problem, and since the manual removal of the call logs is a pain, we just disabled the back-up of the call log through IT policy. We've had the policy in place for a month or two now and haven't received any complaints.
Where exactly in the it policy did you do this? I'm running bes 4.1.1 and disabled that feature but it said it would only affect handhelds running os 4.1 or higher. Meaning all 4.0 devices would still replicate back. Anyway to disable for everyone?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Brentws

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cimgular

If you wait until the device actually starts bringing over the call logs and then Clear the Wireless Backup Data on the server, you will retain almost all of the settings. Most of the device settings come over before the call logs, so I always waited for the call logs to start counting and just cleared the Backup data. Worked like a charm. Of course, with 4.1 on the bes it is much easier with the IT Policy option.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
webberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentws
If you wait until the device actually starts bringing over the call logs and then Clear the Wireless Backup Data on the server, you will retain almost all of the settings. Most of the device settings come over before the call logs, so I always waited for the call logs to start counting and just cleared the Backup data. Worked like a charm. Of course, with 4.1 on the bes it is much easier with the IT Policy option.
That would be a neat workaround for those who are both at the server and the device at the same time.
In our case they are different teams of people in different states.
I wonder if messing with stuff like that during an active synchronization could cause the activation to fail anyway?

We will probably just have to just clear all the backup data and they will lose their customizations or the person will just have to wait however many hours it takes to download their old call logs.
Does clearing the wireless backup data also clear their device automatic e-mail signature?

Last edited by webberry; 09-21-2006 at 06:27 PM..
Old 09-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

In theory you could run:

delete * from syncbackuprestore where Databasename='Phone Call Logs'

I don't endorse this and I haven't tested it.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by webberry
So, there is no way to limit the call log backup to only the last X days with BES 4.0?
No! That would be too easy and make too much sense for RIM to implement.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #13
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

I used to wipe people's call logs before swapping devices until I came across someone who used the notes feature of the call logs so they can take notes about a call while in the call and then back track to other calls and re-read notes taken. The notes are tied to the log, so you open a call log entry to read the notes.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
webberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent
I used to wipe people's call logs before swapping devices until I came across someone who used the notes feature of the call logs so they can take notes about a call while in the call and then back track to other calls and re-read notes taken. The notes are tied to the log, so you open a call log entry to read the notes.
Not sure if it's worth saving an entire corporate enterprise's worth of call logs to save notes from a few calls of a handfull of employees.
That's like throwing away your entire company's email retention policy so 10 users can store their e-mail from 2002 on the Exchange servers.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||
In theory you could run:

delete * from syncbackuprestore where Databasename='Phone Call Logs'

I don't endorse this and I haven't tested it.
This is what I did before upgrading to 4.1 as when you upgrade it will EA all 4.1 devices and this will help the overhead tons. Did a select count first and had over 400,000 phone logs on my BES. some may have millions.

This is done usin Query analyzer on the sql database. This removes all call logs for all users.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #16
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
This is what I did before upgrading to 4.1 as when you upgrade it will EA all 4.1 devices and this will help the overhead tons. Did a select count first and had over 400,000 phone logs on my BES. some may have millions.

This is done usin Query analyzer on the sql database. This removes all call logs for all users.
Good to hear that it works.
Closed Thread