Old 05-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Clssc
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Eastlink
Default BB SIM card adapter

Please Login to Remove!

I want to (temporarily) install my micro SIM card from my BB Classic into my BB Torch, which takes the larger SIM card. I got an adapter from Bell, but the only way the micro sim card will fit in the adapter is with the little angle corner on the right, which then puts the contacts on the top of the adapter, which is wrong for the BB connection. In other words, it appears that the adapter has to be put in upside down with the SIM card underneath, which is not easy to do and doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?
Rolyb
Old 05-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: BB SIM card adapter

The adapters all should allow SIM the contacts to face the connection. The cut angle is to insure the contacts are not upside down.
Generally the SIM card is placed "under" the adapter so the contacts fit to make contact to the phones contacts.
The adapter I have allows the card to fit correctly. It does go under the adapter and seems to work ok.
Have you tried to see if it works?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I put the adapter in with the SIM card side down and the angle corner on the right, and without the SIM card in the adapter because I didn't want to damage the SIM card if I got it wrong. The adapter would not go in all the way. So I tried the other side up to see what would happen. It went in all the way but got stuck and needed pliers to get it out. I may have damaged something, because a very small metal thing came out as well.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

That little small metal thing is probably the chip that is used to store your SIM info.
Sound like you now need a new SIM

You might try looking at a few YouTube videos for info.
I searched for SIM card change adapter.

Last edited by tsac; 05-02-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Old 05-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

No. Can't be that. It came out of the slot when I pulled out the empty adapter My SIM card was still in my BB Classic, and working. It was like a very tiny silver hook, slightly bigger than a pin-head. Perhaps something to physically steady the SIM card when in. It definitely was not an electrical contact of any sort.
Also, there is a little engraving beside the SIM card slot in the BB Torch with an arrow. The engraving is of a SIM card with the angle corner on the right forward corner, which flys in the face of our previous discussions of how to put in the SIM card. If it's like the engraving, then there is only one way, and that's with contacts facing up.
Both my backup BB Torches are the same, and both are very difficult to remove the adapter (it clicks when it goes in, so sounds right, but then it won't come out without a lot of effort). I'm hesitant to try it with the SIM card in the adapter for fear of ruining the SIM card, or getting it stuck in.
Rolyb
Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok so the socket has some type of thing to steady or keep the sim card tray in place.
I think if you are very very cautious and not force anything it may be possible to put the sim into the adapter then into the SIM tray and slide it in. the SIM chip based on a video on Bell's site shows the sim placed down on the tray so to me the Sim chip needs to be placed down to make contact.

the site link

https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Sma..._my_blackberry
Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 AM   #7
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you tsac, you're right. And the solution is simple. The adapter should not be inserted without the sim card in it, otherwise the little hook that came out in one of my BB Torches catches it and prevents it from coming out. With the sim card in it, it goes in and out without a problem. Sometimes the solution is too obvious to see.
Rolyb
Old 05-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Glad it worked.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Two other questions. More simple, I hope. The sim card in and out was demonstrated to me at the Bell shop by a technician. I watched as she did it - simple. What I didn't do is see how she put it in (which way up etc) and how she got it out. I assume she put it in contacts down angle corner to the right, so I did that, and sure enough it went in nicely. But then I tried the phone and it told me to put in a sim card. And when I tried to get it out, I was unable to get a grip on anything to pull it out. I finally was able, but after many tries. Here are my questions: 1. Why didn't the sim card work (it works fine in my Classic and the Bell tech said it should work in the Torch); and 2. How am I supposed to get it out?
Old 05-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

It sounds like the pin that came out was a release device and if you broke it then you may have a problem. I would see if the Bell technician has any tools or other method to remove it. Reading various online posts it seems the techs have different tools.
You have nothing to lose by trying at the store.

As for the contacts, All videos show the contacts down and the SIM adapter should fit the SIM tray.
The angle cut should line up with the SIM adapter which lines up with the SIM tray.
The only thing I can think of is the SIM is not on the adapter side correct or the adapter is not for normal SIM's
Real weird.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok so I borrowed a 9810 and the SIM was hard to remove. Putting a bit of pressure on the chip seems to allow it to slide out easier. My suspicion is the adapter may be thicker than the SIM tray ( holder) allows.
Hopefully the bottom of the tray where the contacts are have not been damaged.
Closed Thread