Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
CowboyTech

Model: Z30
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon has me confused

Please Login to Remove!

Verizon blackberry has me confused. I thought I was using BIS for all my internet services, but apparently I'm just using Verizon data network, even thought I selected blackberry data plan through verizon. I went to blackberry site expecting to have a MyBlackberry Account since I attached two email accounts to my blackberry but it said I had no blackberry account.

So my question is for anyone else who uses Verizon, does all data flow through Verizon servers or BIS servers? I'm very confused here and trying to get all my blackberry things setup. I can access app world on my blackberry but I'm not required to login. Also I created a myblackberry account to see if it would tie to my blackberry and it doesn't.. The barcode isn't showing and none of my blackberry information anywhere on blackberry site.

I'd feel more comfortable if I new for sure where my data was going.. ie who's servers do I go through. Heck, it's hard enough trying to get up to speed after never touching or owning a blackberry until now, so why make it so confusing..
Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

What do you mean by "I went to blackberry site expecting to have a MyBlackBerry Account". What site? And what do you mean by "MyBlackBerry Account"?

If you "attached two email accounts to [your] blackberry", that goes through the carrier BIS which is attached to the RIM servers. For Verizon, that site is https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en

The email addresses probably were set up on the device via the Email Settings "thick client" which basically is a mobile version of the carrier BIS.

Setting up email addresses to be pushed to your device has nothing to do with any other site or any other account such as a "MyBlackBerry" account. If you want such an account, you probably just need to set it up separately.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
CowboyTech

By a myblackberry account I was taking about is myBlackBerry: Home and having it tie in to my physical blackberry. ie having the same blackberry bar code as what is currently on my phone and having my pin tie into it as well. I thought a myblackberry account was needed for certain things like app world. Currently it shows the ability to pay for apps via paypal but I thought I read somewhere that you can pay direct through other means but you had to setup blackberry account.

The site you mentioned is the one I did go to setup the two email accounts. Thanks for the small clarification about the Carrier BIS being attached to RIM servers. So I guess all my email that comes through to my blackberry is going through RIM Servers but want about Internet browsing? If you could direct me to a page that gives this information if there is one I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to better understand what goes through RIM Servers and what doesn't with Verizon BIS Service.

So far though I'm loving the blackberry.. Just yesterday I was so happy when I got an email for a package that had been shipped and I wasn't near my computer at the time, so it was nice to know that a package of mine had been shipped without having to check my email at computer.

Not great for primary web browsing anyway but I love messaging on the blackberry and I'm already addicted to Pandora app for blackberry.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Maybe you should start by reading the FAQ section on email and BIS. That should help explain things.

You need a BB data plan for App World, email, BBM, etc. and it appears that you have that already.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

MyBlackberry.com replaced Blackberry Owners Lounge.
Its simply a website, run by RIM about Blackberry things.
It doesn't tie to anything.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
CowboyTech

Thank you. That answers my question(s). Thanks everyone.
Closed Thread