BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
gfhoward
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Default New 8700g Owner. Good Carrying Case? Other Advice?

Please Login to Remove!

Just bought an 8700g. Would like to find a good carrying case for it that will protect it. Not anything too expensive. I don't need a belt clip or anything as I carry it in a bag. Just something to keep it free from scratches, etc, and still allow easy use of the device. Recommendations are appreciated.

Also, should I put a screen film on it for protection, or does it make viewing more difficult. If it's a good idea what's a good brand and where to get it?

Finally, anything else I should know about owning/using an 8700g? I'm a complete NooB to these kinds of devices. Should I update the OS when I get it? Is there a good place to get games like Tetris for it? Any third party apps that are must have? Basically anything you think is worth telling me about this Blackberry thing is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
bucketmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon 5.0.0.xxx

everything you need to know is in the forums.....use the search feature
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
VickyPaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile

Hi, I bought the Napa Leather Case from TMobile. It has a belt clip though but also has the sleeper magnet. I carry it in my bag too and it keeps my bb safe and snug and no scratches. You can see it here:
Blackberry 8700 Vertical Leather T-Mobile Case with Sleeper Function

I bought mine at my local TM store.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
gfhoward

Vicky how much was it? And what's the sleeper function?

bucket I searched through alot of threads and the FAQ, but it's nice to have an actual conversation around specific questions. That's what forums are for!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: NO One

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfhoward
Vicky how much was it? And what's the sleeper function?

bucket I searched through alot of threads and the FAQ, but it's nice to have an actual conversation around specific questions. That's what forums are for!
You can go to bbf review forums. They have few reviews on the carrying case for 8700. I bought a krusell. I don't like it much bc of thick leather and make it hard to use the trackwheel and side bottons. oi use martin field screen protector.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Just bought an 8700g. Would like to find a good carrying case for it that will protect it. Not anything too expensive. I don't need a belt clip or anything as I carry it in a bag. Just something to keep it free from scratches, etc, and still allow easy use of the device. Recommendations are appreciated.

Also, should I put a screen film on it for protection, or does it make viewing more difficult. If it's a good idea what's a good brand and where to get it?

Finally, anything else I should know about owning/using an 8700g? I'm a complete NooB to these kinds of devices. Should I update the OS when I get it? Is there a good place to get games like Tetris for it? Any third party apps that are must have? Basically anything you think is worth telling me about this Blackberry thing is much appreciated. Thanks!
eBay: Blackberry Leather Case Pouch OEM 8700 8700c 8700g (item 330039802889 end time Oct-17-06 08:33:56 PDT)
eBay: OEM BlackBerry 8700c 8700g Pitch Black Leather Holster (item 110042649206 end time Oct-17-06 12:42:01 PDT)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Check out my tips site for these basic questions.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:16 AM   #8
gfhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Check out my tips site for these basic questions.
You say the Screenpatronus comes in clear or anti-glare but I don't see a distinction on their site or in their auctions? Based on your review I want the clear, but they all seem to be clear with anti-glare. Can you explain?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
gfhoward

Well I'm making some headway on learning about my new 8700g. It arrived today. I still don't have a screen protector for it because I haven't been able to figure out how to obtain the "clear" patronus. I have a Sena leather case in the mail, should be here soon. So moving on I'd like to hear some responses to my last few questions, here they are again. Thanks for the info, G

Should I update the OS when I get it? Is the Zen OS a good thing? Is there a good place to get games like Tetris for it? Any third party apps that are must have?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Well I'm making some headway on learning about my new 8700g. It arrived today. I still don't have a screen protector for it because I haven't been able to figure out how to obtain the "clear" patronus. I have a Sena leather case in the mail, should be here soon. So moving on I'd like to hear some responses to my last few questions, here they are again. Thanks for the info, G

Should I update the OS when I get it? Is the Zen OS a good thing? Is there a good place to get games like Tetris for it? Any third party apps that are must have?

Many of these questions are answered at my tips site or blog. Go check it out. Yes update the OS IMHO.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
gfhoward

I've been through your site Stinson and have not found what I'm looking for. I found a link on this site to some games so I've downloaded them and now have the jar files on my desktop. I use a Mac. How do I get them on my Blackberry now?

Please don't refer me to random FAQ or tell me to use the search function, I've been searching threads for days and have read the FAQ's, Tips and Tricks. What I'm looking for is some good advice from experienced users. Sometimes answering a question and having a conversation is the most efficient way to help someone. Thanks, G
Old 10-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I use that one that came with it..and i got one from ebay.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-26-2006, 04:58 AM   #13
JAVOedge
Platinum Sponsor

gfhoward,

May i suggest our JAVOLeather Case and Ultra-Clear Screen Protector for your 8700g.

Thanks,
JAVOedge Customer Service
Old 10-26-2006, 07:46 AM   #14
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

What about the brand new OEM RIM case with a swivel belt clip? Anyone got one yet. I have two on order and was wondering if the strap over the top is held with a magnet or is a snap. I see the RIM has changed the OEM swivel clip in the pictures, it looks different.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
J.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
What about the brand new OEM RIM case with a swivel belt clip? Anyone got one yet. I have two on order and was wondering if the strap over the top is held with a magnet or is a snap. I see the RIM has changed the OEM swivel clip in the pictures, it looks different.
The OEM leather case works very well. Flap/lid is held closed with a magnet. The ratcheting clip swivels a bit too easily, but that also lets me easily swivel and lock it 45 degrees to pull out my 8700g or move to a comfortable positon in the car and move it back when I'm done.

My only quibble is that pulling the BB out immdiately after a message arrives, the lid magnet opens the message. If I don't want to read it yet, I have to flip it back to "unopened." The BB is very secure in the holster and doesn't slide out. The felt lining is kind to the BB's finish. Other than that one quibble, no issues.

For $20, you can't go wrong.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #16
Slapyo

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

I bought the leather pouch, no swivel, from BlackBerry for like $26.99 I think. I like it a lot and the BB seems to be secure in it.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #17
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.
The OEM leather case works very well. Flap/lid is held closed with a magnet. The ratcheting clip swivels a bit too easily, but that also lets me easily swivel and lock it 45 degrees to pull out my 8700g or move to a comfortable positon in the car and move it back when I'm done.

My only quibble is that pulling the BB out immdiately after a message arrives, the lid magnet opens the message. If I don't want to read it yet, I have to flip it back to "unopened." The BB is very secure in the holster and doesn't slide out. The felt lining is kind to the BB's finish. Other than that one quibble, no issues.

For $20, you can't go wrong.
Thnaks for the review. I got two of these comming. I also hope that I can hear my ringer a little better as the OEM case I use now for my 8700C covers the speaker well and sometimes I can not hear it.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #18
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
I have these on eBay, including the 7100 series - Leather Totes and Leather Holsters

8700 Series $21.90 SHIPPED

eBay: OEM Blackberry 8700g 8700c 8703e Leather Holster BLACK (item 160042760120 end time Nov-18-06 22:49:47 PST)

Closed Thread