BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Justa82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default BES 5.0--where do I define Published Public Contact Folders?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm using the BAS; clicked on "Manage Users", then selected "Default Configuration", then selected "Edit User", then clicked the "E-mail" tab.

I see the section that says "Published public contact folders", but it says "None Defined", with no option to define which public contact lists I want to sync with.

Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
glgcag

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T
Default Not possible as of yet . . .

I did the same thing today after upgrading to BES 5.0 and all I get is the "None Configured". Spent over an hour on the phone with BB support and most of it was spent on hold as they tested it to death. What they discovered is that the feature will ONLY work with the new 5.0 upgrade to the BB handhelds. (How is it that they don't know that already? And why isn't it anywhere in all the documentation they keep pointing me to?)

So, once the BES detects that the handheld has 5.0 OS on it, the public folders feature is magically enabled.

Of course, other than beta versions floating around, 5.0 upgrade for BB hasn't been released yet, so you'll have to wait to have this feature enabled. (In fact, the tech support person refused to tell me what device he used to activate to the BES to confirm 5.0 was necessary- hopefully the new device is something nice!)

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad news . . .
Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
racemany2k

Model: Curve
Carrier: Verizon

Do you know if BB/RIM has this anywhere in an official statement?

I read an article that stated that the OS upgrade should follow the BES 5.0 release in 60-90 days, but it is subject to carrier approval so who knows how long it will take.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Justa82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Nothing official, as glgcag mentioned. Beta versions are available for the Bold, but they're definitely not ready for prime time...
Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
nymigny

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Last post on this thread was June. It's November now. Still no progress with device ver 5?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom

As of this writing, the 5.0 OS is out for some devices (e.g. 9700). For others (like 9000), only inofficial beta versions are out. I guess it is a matter of days now until more and more official 5.0 versions come out.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
eMeM

Model: 8700
Carrier: Orange

I have bold 9000 with OS 5.0.0.204 (some beta version) activated on BES 5.0 but there is no change with 'Published public contact folders' setting on BES, it is 'None Defined' :( how to define any public folder? Can anyone tell me, where can I define it?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
cyclmpc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgcag View Post
I did the same thing today after upgrading to BES 5.0 and all I get is the "None Configured". Spent over an hour on the phone with BB support and most of it was spent on hold as they tested it to death. What they discovered is that the feature will ONLY work with the new 5.0 upgrade to the BB handhelds. (How is it that they don't know that already? And why isn't it anywhere in all the documentation they keep pointing me to?)

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad news . . .

That's a shame that RIM was not able to quickly explain that most of the new user features of BES 5.0 are not available until you upgrade the BB OS to 5.0. I'm very surprised that the documentation they pointed you to did not show any of this. Everything that I have done via my own research, or on blackberry.com, or even google, has a note that these features are not available until you go full 5.0 on server and handheld. Here is one example. BlackBerry - Enterprise Server License - BlackBerry Enterprise Server Benefits If you read it, you'll see some benefits and a note at the bottom. Maybe it was something that you just overlooked?

That said, I am on BES 5.0 and right now my carrier (ATT) has not released its own official 5.0 OS, I did try out the latest in the Bold forum Latest OS: 9000 5.0.0.661/5.0.0.411 (English +East Asian). The new features are pretty nice. You can manually upgrade to that or just wait until your carrier does so and to an OTA of your OS. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
cyclmpc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMeM View Post
I have bold 9000 with OS 5.0.0.204 (some beta version) activated on BES 5.0 but there is no change with 'Published public contact folders' setting on BES, it is 'None Defined' :( how to define any public folder? Can anyone tell me, where can I define it?
I think this is what you were looking for?

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/documentLink.do?externalID=KB19111

Once you get that set, you can use this nifty tool.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/docum...rnalID=KB18080

Last edited by cyclmpc; 01-22-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
baltee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: All
PIN: ..
Carrier: Rogers

If you are still not seeing them, it is a permissions issue. The admin account you are using for the bes needs folder ownership of the public folder.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
brenzinger

Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm having the same problem here. Under the Published public contact folders section all the public folders are checked. When I try so assign a public folder to a specific user, I get "none defined" as well.

I've checked the Exchange permissions. The BES account has owner permissions to all the public folder, the specific user has read/view permissions. I also tried owner permissions for the user.

Any ideas on this issue?

Regards,
Simon
Closed Thread