Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Default BES upgrade

Please Login to Remove!

We're using BES 4.0 and Exchange 2003 Server. The BES was an application we've had for several years, starting when only BES existed, so we've upgraded all the way up to 4.0, but now, have some questions and concerns.

1) I think we need to upgrade to the latest version, but am wondering if that would be 5.0, and if we can still operate with Exchange server 2003, or do we have to upgrade that as well?

2) We're only 5-6 users on the BES, so would it make sense to upgrade, or should we be looking at one of the other BES style solutions from RIM?

3) We have one user (me) with a 9630, which keep giving a "some databases failed to synchronize" message upon completion of an enterprise activation, which I assume is because BES 4.0 isn't fully compatible with the 4.7 handheld OS on the 9630. I also have an issue where when I select a group of messages on the message list to delete, the device hangs with the "deleting" message stuck in the window. The device is usable, but not the message list and the only way to fix it - is to reboot the device. This has never happened on the Curve's or the Storm's we have on the BES, but this is the 2nd 9630 that has the same issues.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
nobody7290

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

BES 5.0 works with 2000, 2003 and 2007 SErver
dont know, if you can upgrade to 4.1.x, and, if that would be less expensive then an upgrade to 5.0

But, if you plan to use blackberry for the next years, I think it is safer to upgrade now to 5.0 then now to 4.1 and later to 5.0
BPS would be a step back from full BES, and, is not maintained/actively developed by RIM.

compare 4.1 and 5:
BlackBerry - Enterprise Server Compare - Microsoft Exchange - IBM Lotus Domino

regarding your problem, that looks more like a software problem with the device OS then with the BES - but this is only a guess.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Droid

We are still running Exchange 2003 and did the upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0 a few months ago. We run our BES on a Virtual Machine so we took a snapshot first and then ran the upgrade. It was mostly painless.

What I don't like about 5.0 vs 4.1 is the quick view columns as I call them...my sql dba made a excel sheet for me that just pulls the usage statistics i need to report.

5.0 is nice with everything being web gui, but that means everything gets moved around and takes a bit of getting used to!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
stevew

Thanks for the replies - one more question...is there a utility within 5.0 that now allows an admin to administer certain everyday functions of the BES via a handheld, like adding or changing users, or adding the password for Enterprise activation?

Previously owned:
Old 09-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
nobody7290

From my knowledge, there is no such a thing.
You could use a rdp client to control a remote workstation, but, this is a pain to use.
Strange, the software is even designed in a way, that it only works 100% with explorer 6 on Windows. You cant use a mac or linux workstation for administrative tasks.

But: if you allow it, users are able to activate themselves.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Droid

I'm using Vista with IE 7 and my home PC has Vista with IE8 and I am able to manage the BES server via the web gui. ALL TASKS on BES 5.0 are done via the web gui, which also requires an active x control to be installed.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
nobody7290

It also requires a java version different from what the Blackberry device is able to handle.
If RIM had thought about simple management for basic tasks they had built something without java and activeX.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
stevew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
From my knowledge, there is no such a thing.
You could use a rdp client to control a remote workstation, but, this is a pain to use.
Strange, the software is even designed in a way, that it only works 100% with explorer 6 on Windows. You cant use a mac or linux workstation for administrative tasks.

But: if you allow it, users are able to activate themselves.
Through wireless or from the DM? I'm looking for wireless activation without having to add the user PWD through the BES console.

Previously owned:
Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
nobody7290

The users can use the web-interface of the BES to set the passwort for wireless activation. Still, that must be done using a PC with IE6 or better.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
nobody7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Thanks for the replies - one more question...is there a utility within 5.0 that now allows an admin to administer certain everyday functions of the BES via a handheld, like adding or changing users, or adding the password for Enterprise activation?
Using the BB and a telnet/ssh client you can administer your users have I just learned.

look here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...-handheld.html
Closed Thread