BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #301
nickdoo

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Not sure what I did but now I do see the cell tower heading and distance in that field. when I select to show location on the map i get a java.lang.illegalArgumentException
Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #302
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

The IllegalArgumentException is actually a bug in BlackBerryMaps in a few of the 4.6 OS releases. If you upgrade to the latest OS, the problem will go away. Also you can choose to use GoogleMaps instead by making the change in Options.

Speaking of Options... I tried reproducing the problem on my Bold and in the simulator and couldn't. If it's still a problem, the only thing I can recommend is to completely uninstall the app and re-install it.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #303
smith.eric

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

FYI... as of 9:30pm 4/27/09 the .zip download file on the web site gives a API error on my 8330 Curve but the OTA file works great. I'm a network tech for Alltel and this is a awesome BB tool.
You ROCK RemyJ!! Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #304
johnnyrichter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: <Status<Options
Carrier: Verizon

OTA link isn't working, tried several times within the last hour. Will try again tomorrow.

Here's the error I get...

Code:
HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable

The server is currently unable to handle your request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server.  Please try loading a different page.  Contact your service provider if this problem persists.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #305
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Apparently the download links have moved:

OTA: http://f5bbutils.fairview5.com/signa.../signalloc.jad
Desktop: http://f5bbutils.fairview5.com/signa...c-1.0.1148.zip
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #306
smith.eric

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

The URL posted by fonejunkie worked fine for me last night after I realized I was leaving off the 5 in 'fairview5'
Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #307
johnnyrichter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: <Status<Options

Still can't get it to work, same error. I visited some other links and OTA links just to be sure it wasn't just my phone, and they all worked. I'll try again later I guess?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #308
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrichter View Post
Still can't get it to work, same error. I visited some other links and OTA links just to be sure it wasn't just my phone, and they all worked. I'll try again later I guess?
The new links work fine for me. The 503 isn't coming from my server, it's coming from your service provider. Are you sure you're using the BlackBerry Browser?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #309
morneaultp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm

Hello I am new to both black berrys and this signal location utility. I am trying to use it to export RSSI signal and gps coordinates to a log file, which from reading the utilitys help info it can. But I cannot see where the logfile is being written to, any suggestions? I would like to email the CSV file to myself to get it to my PC.

~ Phil
Old 04-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #310
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morneaultp View Post
Hello I am new to both black berrys and this signal location utility. I am trying to use it to export RSSI signal and gps coordinates to a log file, which from reading the utilitys help info it can. But I cannot see where the logfile is being written to, any suggestions? I would like to email the CSV file to myself to get it to my PC.

~ Phil
In Options, at the bottom under Advanced, you'll see the options to turn logging on and off, and you'll also see a place to enter or select the destination file name. On the other forum, you mentioned using Verizon so I have to warn you...Until recently, Verizon locked the GPS from being used by third-party apps. AFAIK, only the Storm has an unlocked GPS.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #311
morneaultp

Hello RemyJ thanks I found it, I was able to save a CSV file and see GPS coordinates and RSSI values GREAT! YEs we are using the Storm.

I next tried a KML file and I saved it to my PC and attempted to open it in GoogleEarth but it fails, saying there is Parse error on line 22 column 44: Not well formed (invalid token) any thoughts??

Thanks Phil
Old 04-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #312
morneaultp

Default Got data into Google Maps but not all points showing up

Hello, ok with more playing I got the export for google earth to work. Have to clear out the saved sites that it created for the CSV file.

But the kml file I imported into google earth did not show all the saved locations I have in the saved locations list in the Signal Location Utility, some are not plotting. Of a list of 17 saved locations, only 4 plotted. I checked the saved locations in the utility that did not show up in google earth and they have lat/long data so it should get plotted.

This utility is great and will allow us to map out Verizon coverage in our territory. What I now want to do is control when it writes a saved location, IE have it write one every 30 seconds, is that possible??

Also, some of the points it mapped are close to where we really were but not exact. IE it sometimes shows us off the road hundreds/thousands of feet.

~ Phil
Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #313
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

For the locations that didn't show up, can you view them on the map via SignalLoc?

You can automatically save a location using distance rather time. I.E. every kilometer. Does that work for you?

For the sites that don't appear where you expect, I'm going to have to research a little.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #314
morneaultp

Hi Remyj we are new to using the BB Storm as well as your app. Found the option for saving location based on distance thanks great option will try.

As for if they show up on the map within the SignalLoc app, I get an error when I select show on map. From reading this thread it sounds like both BBMaps and Googlemaps are not pre-loaded on a blackberry so we need to install them. If I am having it save as a KML file format do I then need google maps and not BB Maps??

I can send you the KML file if you want so you can see what Im talking about.

Thanks ALot

~ Phil
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #315
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

The file format isn't related to which mapping app you use on the device so can use GoogleMaps or BlackBerry Maps or both.

Sure, send me the kml file and I'll take a look.
Send it to isgtj0 at users.sourceforge.net.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #316
morneaultp

Hello Remyj we are new to BB Storm as well as your app, sorry for being slow with this. I found the option to save based on distance, thank you.

As for viewing the saved location on a map, when I try to do that I get an error, reading through this thread Im assuming its because I do not have either BBMaps or googlemaps installed on the storm, correct I need to install one first? I dont see them as an app on the BB.

I can send you the KML file if you want so you can see whats happening.

Thank you for your paticence.

~ Phil
Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #317
morneaultp

OK I have an update, I installed Google Maps and I CAN see the saved locations on googlemaps when selected the location and choosing view on map. I can click on the options and see all the info on it.

Very cool utility youve done a great job with it!

~ Phil
Old 04-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #318
morneaultp

Hi Remy sorry I forgot to try that. Yes I can view each individual saved location on the google map but when trying to view all saved locations on map I get an error "Exception adding landmark Java.lang.runtimeexcept:could not start internal application"

I also discovered somehting within PC google maps. I imported a new group to the PC ver of google maps after changing to save every 2 kilometers (works good thanks) and nothing showed up on the map BUT they are listed on the lefthand side in the My Places list and if I click on them there it brings up the options window for that saved spot on the map and points to where it is on the map. THere just isnt a icon on the map all the time....

Also I had saved the ones from yesterday, they did not all show up but now that I have closed google maps and reopned it with them saved in My Places. more are shoiwn up with a blue icon, hmmmm.

Here is a link to a pic of the googleearth map with it not showing any icon for the imported saved location.

Darn wont let me post cause Im too much of a newbie. Put h t t p : / / in front of this:

i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/mjenphil/Misc/GoogleEarthscreenshotA.jpg

Thanks, Phil
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #319
Wilfred

Model: 8900
PIN: 20F0E8F9
Carrier: T-Mobile

Nice feautre, but why bother with this when there is Google Latitude? you dont need GPS for that, worked on tower triangulation on one of my BB wthouth GPS.

I might be wrong as usual but just wanted to know.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #320
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default Won't start - error

I Have an AT&T unlocked Bold 9000. When I try and start this app I get this error message:
  • Error starting signalloc:
  • Module 'signalloc' attempts
  • to access a secure API.
I did a battery pull and also made sure all permissions were "allow."

Any suggestions?
Running 4.6.0.266 O/S
Closed Thread