fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ View Post
The file format isn't related to which mapping app you use on the device so can use GoogleMaps or BlackBerry Maps or both.

Sure, send me the kml file and I'll take a look.
Send it to isgtj0 at users.sourceforge.net.
Hi, RemyJ.

I am having similar issues... I have about 10-12 cell tower locations saved in my signalloc.kml file. When I try to VIEW ALL on map, I get an exception error (screenshot attached). If I try to view a single location on a map (Google Maps), it works. I have also saved the file, copied it to my computer and attempted to import it into Google Maps on my computer and it reported a different error, also attached. I took the liberty of sending you my file, as well.

Thanks in advance for looking at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbscreen[167].jpg (54.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg desktoperror.jpg (9.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #322
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
Hi, RemyJ.

I am having similar issues... I have about 10-12 cell tower locations saved in my signalloc.kml file. When I try to VIEW ALL on map, I get an exception error (screenshot attached). If I try to view a single location on a map (Google Maps), it works. I have also saved the file, copied it to my computer and attempted to import it into Google Maps on my computer and it reported a different error, also attached. I took the liberty of sending you my file, as well.

Thanks in advance for looking at it.
Two issues.

Google Maps doesn't support the VIEW ALL feature, only BlackBerry Maps does.

The file you sent me was a CSV file not a KML file even though it was named .kml. In Options, set the export type to KML.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #323
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
I Have an AT&T unlocked Bold 9000. When I try and start this app I get this error message:
  • Error starting signalloc:
  • Module 'signalloc' attempts
  • to access a secure API.
I did a battery pull and also made sure all permissions were "allow."

Any suggestions?
Running 4.6.0.266 O/S
My fault. For some reason the last version I uploaded wasn't signed properly. I just fixed it so clear your cache and download again.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #324
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
Nice feautre, but why bother with this when there is Google Latitude? you dont need GPS for that, worked on tower triangulation on one of my BB wthouth GPS.

I might be wrong as usual but just wanted to know.
The two apps really aren't related. SignalLoc allows you to capture location and signal strength (along with other radio info) for network diagnostic purposes. Latitude is more of a social networking app.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #325
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morneaultp View Post
Hi Remy sorry I forgot to try that. Yes I can view each individual saved location on the google map but when trying to view all saved locations on map I get an error "Exception adding landmark Java.lang.runtimeexcept:could not start internal application"

I also discovered somehting within PC google maps. I imported a new group to the PC ver of google maps after changing to save every 2 kilometers (works good thanks) and nothing showed up on the map BUT they are listed on the lefthand side in the My Places list and if I click on them there it brings up the options window for that saved spot on the map and points to where it is on the map. THere just isnt a icon on the map all the time....

Also I had saved the ones from yesterday, they did not all show up but now that I have closed google maps and reopned it with them saved in My Places. more are shoiwn up with a blue icon, hmmmm.

Here is a link to a pic of the googleearth map with it not showing any icon for the imported saved location.

Darn wont let me post cause Im too much of a newbie. Put h t t p : / / in front of this:

i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/mjenphil/Misc/GoogleEarthscreenshotA.jpg

Thanks, Phil
Google Maps has a problem with View All. It just doesn't support it. Only BlackBerry Maps does.

Send me your KML file so I can take a look.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #326
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Two issues.

Google Maps doesn't support the VIEW ALL feature, only BlackBerry Maps does.

The file you sent me was a CSV file not a KML file even though it was named .kml. In Options, set the export type to KML.
I set the option for KML output, but the file still looks like CSV. I don't know why that is, but it's what happens... I have verified the settings and even changed the file name to 'start clean'.

And rather than allowing the call to VIEW ALL and the program puking up a cryptic exception error, why not intercept the call when the map program is set to Google Maps and display an error message - much more informative and elegant that seeing the app puke on your screen.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #327
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I set the option for KML output, but the file still looks like CSV. I don't know why that is, but it's what happens... I have verified the settings and even changed the file name to 'start clean'.

And rather than allowing the call to VIEW ALL and the program puking up a cryptic exception error, why not intercept the call when the map program is set to Google Maps and display an error message - much more informative and elegant that seeing the app puke on your screen.
The log file is different that the export file. To export in KML format, you have to do an "Export all to File" from the Locations or Cell Sites list. The continuous log is always CSV.

Fixing the error message is on my to-do list.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #328
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
The log file is different that the export file. To export in KML format, you have to do an "Export all to File" from the Locations or Cell Sites list. The continuous log is always CSV.

Fixing the error message is on my to-do list.
Thanks for the information.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #329
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morneaultp View Post
Hi Remy sorry I forgot to try that. Yes I can view each individual saved location on the google map but when trying to view all saved locations on map I get an error "Exception adding landmark Java.lang.runtimeexcept:could not start internal application"

I also discovered somehting within PC google maps. I imported a new group to the PC ver of google maps after changing to save every 2 kilometers (works good thanks) and nothing showed up on the map BUT they are listed on the lefthand side in the My Places list and if I click on them there it brings up the options window for that saved spot on the map and points to where it is on the map. THere just isnt a icon on the map all the time....

Also I had saved the ones from yesterday, they did not all show up but now that I have closed google maps and reopned it with them saved in My Places. more are shoiwn up with a blue icon, hmmmm.

Here is a link to a pic of the googleearth map with it not showing any icon for the imported saved location.

Darn wont let me post cause Im too much of a newbie. Put h t t p : / / in front of this:

i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/mjenphil/Misc/GoogleEarthscreenshotA.jpg

Thanks, Phil
Ok, here's the deal... The KML file has timestamp data in it so Google Earth displays a slider at the top of the map with a time scale. Only those landmarks which fall into the timescale are shown. You have to drag and split the slider to see all of the landmarks at the same time.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #330
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Ok, here's the deal... The KML file has timestamp data in it so Google Earth displays a slider at the top of the map with a time scale. Only those landmarks which fall into the timescale are shown. You have to drag and split the slider to see all of the landmarks at the same time.
And FWIW, Google Maps does not appear to have that same behavior - I imported the KML file into Google Maps and it shows all of the landmarks.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #331
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
And FWIW, Google Maps does not appear to have that same behavior - I imported the KML file into Google Maps and it shows all of the landmarks.
Good to know. I'm adding an option to suppress the timestamps so Google Earth will display all of the locations at the same time by default. The time will still be displayed, there just won't be a separate Timestamp XML tag in the file.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #332
morneaultp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Hello Remy we discovered our GIS group has an app that allows importing location points. So I attempted to make some saved locations with CSV file format and it did make a file with all the fields filled in for when it was set to generate by time but when I changed it to add a location by distance instead it stopped functioning. WHen it was set to do by distance I got the following in the file, heres one line, note also was huge spaces between each line of data

DLat,DLong,Alt,Speed,Course,Name,Satellites,FixQua lity,CellSite,Signal,Service,Comment,UserData,Expo rtDate,DateDiscovered
44.514,-69.57528,-36.0,23.0,130.78125,

A good CSV file as you know looks like this:
DLat,DLong,Alt,Speed,Course,Name,Satellites,FixQua lity,CellSite,Signal,Service,Comment,UserData,Expo rtDate,DateDiscovered
44.31908,-69.80378,-49.0,0.5,13.359370231628418,MyLoc-2009-04-29-14:06:43,11,1,Verizon-28-5-8646,-80, V D MDS WAP DOP,""test data","2009-04-29T20:50:04Z",2009-04-29-14:06:43

The only difference was the change I made to save locations by distance.

Thanks ~ Phil
Old 05-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #333
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

I should have a new release out in a few hours that fixes these issues.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #334
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Default SignalLoc v 1.0 - Build 1.0.1230 - Released May 1 2009

SignalLoc v 1.0 - Build 1.0.1230 - Released May 1 2009
**Fixed**
Made KML Timestamps optional
Fixed formatting issue with Name
Added check for BlackBerry Maps when perfoming a View All

Link: Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry
Old 05-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #335
morneaultp

Quote:
HI Remy thanks for figuring that out, I missed this entry. Ill try it in GoogleEarth again. What we want to be able to do is display the signal strenght right on the map. I can do that with an external map program and the csv file but if there was a way with Google Earth that would be easier.

I see u just posted a new ver, we are at ver 1.0.1223 ill download and test tomorrow thanks alot

Phil

Last edited by morneaultp; 05-01-2009 at 08:36 PM..
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #336
morneaultp

I tried the .1230 ver today. We created both a csv and then the kml type. Created locations in the csv regularly per the distance setting.

Doing to a KML file and it imported into Google Earth fine, could see all of them, I also saw the time slidebar at the top. With GoogleMaps as the map choice in the program if I selected display all I still got an error instead of denying it. I thought your update would check and deny trying to display a vew all in google maps.

In the prefex field, is it possible use an locations detail variable so it dynamically applys one of the Site Location's details as a variable and display that detail field in the name? IE I would like to display the Signal detail in the name on the map. So I can see globally what the signal strengh is while looking at say a town coverage instead of having to click on each location to see what the signal strenght is?? IE so a locations name would be -87 MyLoc-20090502...

A few suggestions/requests

Allow program to run in landscape mode (For storm) Can use the full keyboard and is much easier.

When in Portrait mode, have program follow the preferred keyboard mode instead of always being SureType. (Allow it to do Multitap too) Appears to be doing Sure type even though I have Multitap selected.

Being able to have both csv and KML files would be useful, or is there a way to create a kml from csv?

Last edited by morneaultp; 05-02-2009 at 09:23 PM..
Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #337
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Let me look more at the GoogleMaps vs BlackBerryMaps thing. I tested it but I'm not sure why it's nor working for you. I'll also fix the Storm compatability stuff although I don;t have a Storm to test with. Let me think about CSV/KML for a bit.

Good idea on the substitution variables. I'll work on it but it'll take some time to implement
Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #338
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Let me look more at the GoogleMaps vs BlackBerryMaps thing. I tested it but I'm not sure why it's nor working for you. I'll also fix the Storm compatability stuff although I don;t have a Storm to test with. Let me think about CSV/KML for a bit.

Good idea on the substitution variables. I'll work on it but it'll take some time to implement
FWIW, the error message IS displayed on my Curve when I try to "show all"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbscreen[169].jpg (59.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #339
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I downloaded this to my 8220 a few days ago, and it works like a champ. Thanks for all of your efforts on this, RemyJ!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #340
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Default SignalLoc v 1.0 - Build 1.0.1236 - Released May 3 2009

SignalLoc v 1.0 - Build 1.0.1236 - Released May 3 2009
-----------------------------------------------------
Added ability to use substitution variables in location name (see Options Help)
Removed Storm compatability attributes to allow the user to select.
Fixed issue where the auto add location distance wouldn't accept decimal points.

Link: Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry
Closed Thread