Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
richjb54

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm Issues - Battery

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a Storm 9530 for almost 18 months. Within the past couple weeks, it has become almost useless due to severe, sudden battery drain. This typically occurs during a reboot, onethat I did not schedule nor ask for.

It seems when I text, watch a video of less than 1 minute, make one call, etc the phone reboots it self and the batterry goes from 4 or 5 bars to zero when it comes back on.

I do not have many apps (other than the useless Verizon ones that we cannot get rid of). And actually have deleted some in hopes to resolve this. It is getting progressively worse. Recharge to full takes less than an hour so I am not sure this battery is charging to what it used to, so I have purchased another battery in hopes that this would solve the problem.

Any other advice is appreciated.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
lprmcnit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

I think you are right in checking the battery. The other thing I'd check would be the OS version..I know their are tremendous differences in the way the newest Storm OS performs compared to the original OS. I've been using 5.0.0.328 on mine and it has been great. I think, too, sometimes the radios can "freak out" and try and contact the cellular infrastructure repeatedly; draining the battery. Not much that I know of you can do about that if an OS update doesn't fix it If it isn't a battery issue, and no basic settings have changed such as backlight etc. and an OS update doesn't work, probably all you can do is warranty the phone.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
richjb54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmcnit View Post
I think you are right in checking the battery. The other thing I'd check would be the OS version..I know their are tremendous differences in the way the newest Storm OS performs compared to the original OS. I've been using 5.0.0.328 on mine and it has been great. I think, too, sometimes the radios can "freak out" and try and contact the cellular infrastructure repeatedly; draining the battery. Not much that I know of you can do about that if an OS update doesn't fix it If it isn't a battery issue, and no basic settings have changed such as backlight etc. and an OS update doesn't work, probably all you can do is warranty the phone.
Thanks. I also have OS5.0.0.328 and have since the day it came out. This just started happenning in the past two or three weeks. I deleted some apps I really didn't need and have changed the backlight to be minimal, but still goes from 60 to 0 in a reboot. New battery should be arriving in a couple days and we shall see if that works. If not, off to the Verizon store to convince a techie that the phone is an issue.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjb54 View Post
I have had a Storm 9530 for almost 18 months.
Quote:
If not, off to the Verizon store to convince a techie that the phone is an issue.
Not sure what you think Verizon will do for you (other than sell you a new phone) since warranty is only 1 year.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
lprmcnit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

We have a slightly different deal with VZW where we get it free for 1 year and are charged ( not full retail) from 12-24 months...I guess each agreement can be different...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
richjb54

I do not expect a single problem dealing with Verizon. If it is more than a battery, I know for a fact I will get a new Storm. Happened to my son a month ago and they replaced it with no hassles. However, I am 99% convinced the battery is dying a quick death.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

Quote:
I do not expect a single problem dealing with Verizon. If it is more than a battery, I know for a fact I will get a new Storm. Happened to my son a month ago and they replaced it with no hassles. However, I am 99% convinced the battery is dying a quick death.
I was decided to buy a second battery as replacement and backup... and I found them (DX-1) on Amazon for around $6... plus shipping ended up in $11....

At first I was skeptical, knowing that it could be a water damaged battery, an old one, used one, fake......

But to my surprise it was the real deal... not indication of previous use on the connectors, no marks on the water damage indicator... and it works pretty good... I hope it will last, but if it does not it was only 11 bucks...

Definitely give it a try...
Closed Thread