Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
stev32k

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Wireless configuration settings for UMA

Please Login to Remove!

I've spent several months researching and trying out wireless configuration settings for my linksys routers. I have 1 WRT160N v2, and 1 WRT54g-TM. One of the best sources of information has been the dd-wrt forums. There are a lot of professional networking people on those boards and several develop router operating system software.

I thought I would share some of the settings I've found that work best on my routers. By best I mean most stable, no (or few) disconnections, and no dropped calls. While these settings were developed using Linksys routers they should work on any brand. Keep in mind these settings were developed to work best with UMA. I use them with three laptops and a printer connected and everything works great. They eliminated 99% of dropped calls and the phone's signal is much more stable.

Wireless Basic settings
Wireless configuration – Manual
Mode – Mixed
Network Name – your choice
Radio band – standard 20 MHz
Wide channel – grayed out
Channel – varies try 1, 6, or 11 depends, some channels work better than others so try them out and see where you get the strongest signal.
SSID – enable

Wireless Advanced Settings
AP isolation – disabled
Frame burst – disabled
Authentication type – grayed out
Basic rate – default
Transmission rate – Auto
CTS protection – disabled
Beacon – 50 (important)
DTIM – 3 (important)
Fragmentation threshold – 2304
RTS threshold – 2304

Now here are the settings that will prevent dropped calls if you are using your laptop and cell phone at the same time.

Find the section for QoS (quality of service). It is located in different spots on different routers. It is located in the Applications and Gaming section in the WRT160N. If you have dd-wrt firmware it has its own section.

QoS – enabled
WMM support – enabled
Internet access priority category – enabled (may be called a different name on other routers)
Under applications choose “Voice Device” Give the phone a name (if required) and enter the MAC address. The phone’s MAC address can be found in options -> status. Set the priority for the phone to High, or Premium, or whatever your router calls the highest priority.

Now enter the MAC address for all other wifi devices on your network including printers, laptops, and anything else. Set the priority for all these devices to standard, normal, or whatever the next lower level is compared to the phones.

These QoS settings will prevent your computer or printer from knocking your phone off-line if they are operating while you are talking.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
stev32k

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I would be interested in feedback from anyone that uses these settings. Improvement, no improvement, no change, problems, comments, etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I have neither the inclination nor time to compare, but these notes were written up shortly after the first MA compliant BB came out.

Linksys Router Tips - BlackBerryFAQ
Closed Thread