BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #201
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I believe the price for the 8800 would be a good indicator of the price for the 8320 at launch on the 24th. From the looks of things, AT&T priced the 8300 about $100 lower than the 8800. so expect maybe a $50 to 100 difference as well. this is just speculation on my part since no prices have been announced. However, being that the 8320 has wifi, all bets may be off.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #202
Mark_Venture

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

I have my T-Mobile 8320 in front of me

While its not as "nice looking" as the color used on the AT&T 8300, Its not as ugly as the picture on the box or the pictures I've seen on the net lead me to believe... But yeah, I do think they could have picked a better color..

Since it came with a Demo Term sim card, the box was sealed with T-Mobile label of terms/conditions... so I can't see everything on the back of it :( (like what the ** next to High Speed Internet stands for...)

My T-Mobile service for my 8800 doesn't include H@H, so I can try out Wi-FI without that plan when I get home...

The Demo Term Sim does include H@H so I'll be able to try that too...
Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #203
goatspike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
This is the first time I've seen anybody say this. You will need to have an active data plan, sure. But I've never seen any indication that you need H@H to make any use of WiFi for data transmission. It is my understanding that you should be able to do anything other than make calls over WiFi without H@H.

I tested it with the SIM and the account they had for @home and it worked fine. Then I slipped in my own SIM and was able to use the Wifi while the EDGE was off......a Borat would say "That's niiiiiicccccccccccceeeeeeeeeee."
Old 09-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #204
AlexKidd

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
My T-Mobile service for my 8800 doesn't include H@H, so I can try out Wi-FI without that plan when I get home...

The Demo Term Sim does include H@H so I'll be able to try that too...
I would be very interested to hear your results. Please post as soon as you have them. Thanks!

--Kidd
Old 09-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #205
hotburnttoast
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys

got the @home service so I can use the 8320 at home, how are the results from testing it
Old 09-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #206
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike41615 View Post
You WILL be able to use the wifi for calling and for voip (calling over wifi) without paying for H@H. All you need for the web browsing is a data plan. If you DONT have a H@H plan then the minutes you use while on the phone COME OFF OF YOUR MONTHLY PLAN MINUTES. If you DO have a H@H plan then you have UNLIMITED minutes on ANY wifi network, any time of day. Now granted some places you have to pay to use the wifi, so there you will have to pay too. But if you walk into a building that advertises free wifi, you WILL be able to hop on and call WITH OR WITHOUT H@H and BROWSE the internet.
Best explanation. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #207
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatspike View Post
I tested it with the SIM and the account they had for @home and it worked fine. Then I slipped in my own SIM and was able to use the Wifi while the EDGE was off......a Borat would say "That's niiiiiicccccccccccceeeeeeeeeee."
Me too...

with the Demo SIM in (has H@H), I can associate with my home Linksys WRT54G (running HyperWRT 2.1b1 +tofu13c firmware)... and the Blackberry shows/uses UMA connection (WiFi)... I did NOT try a voice call.

Put my regular sim (used in my normal day to day 8800, so no H@H on account)... can connect to my Linksys... and surf web... connection shows UMA...

In either of those setups... use Manange connections icon to disable Wireless Network... It reports SSID of my router, rather than T-Mobile... I can still use the browser to surf the web.

REMOVE Sim card... get SOS... it still connects to router.. and can SURF. use manage connections to disable Wireless network, and it shows the router's SSID and continues to surf just fine.

With MY SIM in... (no H@H on account), "Mobile Network" disabled, I tried to make a call... Blackberry continued to display UMA and the call went through. Sounded VERY CLEAR!!

To me, that confirms what Spike41615 has posted

EDIT: for those interested... mine has firmware v4.2.2.161 (platform 2.5.0.24)

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 09-13-2007 at 05:57 PM..
Old 09-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #208
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
With MY SIM in... (no H@H on account), "Mobile Network" disabled, I tried to make a call... Blackberry continued to display UMA and the call went through. Sounded VERY CLEAR!!
Totally cool. Can't wait. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #209
AlexKidd

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

I wonder if it's because you have the WiFi service book already downloaded with the demo SIM.

If it works without HS@H service, that's all that much better. Bravo, I will be very happy to be wrong on this - especially since I was only repeating what I heard elsewhere.

--Kidd
Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 AM   #210
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
I wonder if it's because you have the WiFi service book already downloaded with the demo SIM.
Its possible...

btw, With the Demo SIM in, I have the My Favs icon... with my sim in, I get a pop-up saying removing.. then I don't have my Favs.

When I get into the office.. I'm going to backup my 8800, and migrate over to this 8320...(I'll probably do during my 10am conf call).. I'll be sure to disable all connections, remove the demo sim and clear the service books before I put my sim in, and get it up and running.

That should be a relatively good test.. And we'll see what service books come down..
Old 09-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #211
goatspike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Default Hoepfully

I am hoping today to get the 4.3 software link from T-Mobile today. Of course I will let all know when I do and share.....if allowed.

Frankly I am impressed with the current OS.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #212
BB Junkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I am hoping today to get the 4.3 software link from T-Mobile today. Of course I will let all know when I do and share.....if allowed.

Are you able to send and receive the messages via PIN or Email or both when using only WIFI/UMA? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #213
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post

If it works without HS@H service, that's all that much better. Bravo, I will be very happy to be wrong on this - especially since I was only repeating what I heard elsewhere.
--Kidd
SOMEBODY has been eating their Wheaties! Very smart deduction and I'll bet that your right, especially if OS 4.3 ships with the 8320 and this function is slightly amended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Junkie View Post
Are you able to send and receive the messages via PIN or Email or both when using only WIFI/UMA? Thanks!
This is the clincher that seals the deal along with AlexKidd's deduction - which I hope a specific WiFi/UMA service book is NOT needed to surf with a SIM without the data plan.

Wondering if a specific and seperate WLAN service book exists to allow surfing BlackBerry WiFi Browser; another for UMA phone calls & Pop3/IMAP Email (BIS/BES the later having its own specific SB), and finally another for PIN/EMAIL for BIS users (BIS email from provider).

ITs almost that time for ordering ;)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #214
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

Question:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

One of the problems with the current (two) phones that support H@H, is there is no way to accept an acknowledgment page--- as often is displayed at freebie hotel wifi hotspots.

Does the 8320 provide a way to enter that acknowledgment via the browser, or will be be stuck with only accessing H@H blessed public sites (like Starbucks) as well as open wifi not requiring any keypresses to connect.

TX!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #215
Mark_Venture

Sorry, running with users... Wanted to post back... Wf-fi service books did come back for me after I cleared them and put my sim card in...

Icq, yahoo messenger, msn live messenger are preaiinstalled, but icons for them and gtalk (after I installed gtalk) didn't show until I switched to bb dimension icon theme.

Rim rep sending me newer firmware later today.. He didn't say version, just newer than the 4.2.2.161 my device has.

Will post more as soon as I can... Work comes first :(
Old 09-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #216
tdawg00

PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Sorry, running with users... Wanted to post back... Wf-fi service books did come back for me after I cleared them and put my sim card in...

Icq, yahoo messenger, msn live messenger are preaiinstalled, but icons for them and gtalk (after I installed gtalk) didn't show until I switched to bb dimension icon theme.

Rim rep sending me newer firmware later today.. He didn't say version, just newer than the 4.2.2.161 my device has.

Will post more as soon as I can... Work comes first :(
Whoa whoa. Are you saying there is a difference means of instant messenging on the 8320 now? Instead of the crappy IM bundle from Tmo. These apps are like the Yahoo Messenger? Seperate entity programs?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #217
Mr. Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: t Of Guiness
Carrier: ATT - BIS

I don't care if the color of it comes out being pink! The minute I get that thing, the case is being either swapped out or painted!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #218
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg00 View Post
Whoa whoa. Are you saying there is a difference means of instant messenging on the 8320 now? Instead of the crappy IM bundle from Tmo. These apps are like the Yahoo Messenger? Seperate entity programs?
Correct... when I switch to the BB Dimension Icon theme... I see an ICQ icon (a real ICQ icon like the app on my PC), an AOL Instant Messenger icon (yup, the AOL dude), a Yahoo Messenger icon (again, the Yahoo logo), and a Windows Live Messenger icon (again the little MSN thing)...

Blackberry messenger is there too...

BB Messnger shows with T-Mobile Zen theme, the others do not...

I had installed Gtalk (from -> http://www.blackberry.com/GoogleTalk ) and it didn't show icon under T-Mobile Zen theme either...

All show when I switch to BB Dimension icon.

When I first launch Windows Messenger, I get hit with T&C's... Agree, then try to sign in, I'm told that i don't have the right service books... need to visit... http://www.blackberry.com/livemessenger there is a download link there... but I get a message that "your wireless service provider does not allow accesss to Windows Live Messenger for your device"

When I try to sign into the AOL IM app... I get told... "Please visit www.blackberry.com/aim to activate your hand held for AOL instant messenger." Again, visiting, there is a DL link... with a Sorry.... notice...

I didn't try ICQ or Yahoo...

Maybe after release date they'll work...

BTW, this firmware my unit has has a bug... looses RF from time to time.. I have to turn wireless off/on... it also locked up when posted from the web browser before (post #215 of this thread)... I didn't realize it went.. I was using full version of this site.. not wap version...

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 09-14-2007 at 02:22 PM..
Old 09-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #219
tdawg00

PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Correct... when I switch to the BB Dimension Icon theme... I see an ICQ icon (a real ICQ icon like the app on my PC), an AOL Instant Messenger icon (yup, the AOL dude), a Yahoo Messenger icon (again, the Yahoo logo), and a Windows Live Messenger icon (again the little MSN thing)...

Blackberry messenger is there too...

BB Messnger shows with T-Mobile Zen theme, the others do not...

I had installed Gtalk (from -> http://www.blackberry.com/GoogleTalk ) and it didn't show icon under T-Mobile Zen theme either...

All show when I switch to BB Dimension icon.

When I first launch Windows Messenger, I get hit with T&C's... Agree, then try to sign in, I'm told that i don't have the right service books... need to visit... http://www.blackberry.com/livemessenger there is a download link there... but I get a message that "your wireless service provider does not allow accesss to Windows Live Messenger for your device"

When I try to sign into the AOL IM app... I get told... "Please visit www.blackberry.com/aim to activate your hand held for AOL instant messenger." Again, visiting, there is a DL link... with a Sorry.... notice...

I didn't try ICQ or Yahoo...

Maybe after release date they'll work...

BTW, this firmware my unit has has a bug... looses RF from time to time.. I have to turn wireless off/on... it also locked up when posted from the web browser before (post #215 of this thread)... I didn't realize it went.. I was using full version of this site.. not wap version...

I hope these will work on launch day.. And you are post like crazy between here and Hofo
Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #220
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Big question on my mind is about support for T-Mobile service books and browsers for the 8300...:

- Will there be a T-Mobile link for downloading a version of the 8300 OS that works properly with TMo? (plz!)
Closed Thread