BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
rayl

Model: 8100
Default Desktop Manager and Vista

Please Login to Remove!

Just upgraded to Vista..right or wrong I did it.

Now I can't get the desktop manager to work. It installed correctly, but won't start. Any ideas? I have read threads where folks were able to get this working but I'm having no luck.. Probably a case of early upgraditis that has bitten me.

Meant to add that I am trying to use 4.2.14

Last edited by rayl; 01-26-2007 at 11:23 PM..
Old 01-27-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
FarSeide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

can you elaborate ? I have Vista Ultimate on my machine and DM works fine.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayl
Just upgraded to Vista..right or wrong I did it.

Now I can't get the desktop manager to work. It installed correctly, but won't start. Any ideas? I have read threads where folks were able to get this working but I'm having no luck.. Probably a case of early
upgraditis that has bitten me.

Meant to add that I am trying to use 4.2.14
I'm running it without any problems. If I remember correctly, when I ran the install I right clicked it and selected "Run as Administrator". Installations run this way behave more like they do under XP. If you don't do this, you may get unexpected results.

For example, when I installed FileZilla without this option and then ran it, FileZilla.xml (which saves your site information) is kept under your profile's AppData directory, but if you install and run it with Administrator privileges, it's kept under Program Files\FileZilla!

If you didn't install it as Administrator (and you haven't disabled AUC), uninstall it and re-install it as described above.

Incidentally, until I turned off AUC, it still had problems connecting to Outlook (Exchange).

Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
jotwee

Carrier: Vodafone D2

unfortunately there is still no vista x64 driver
Old 01-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
ksellers914
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

There is a Windows Vista Upgrade program that checks your pc for compatibility issues with hardware/software, on the Microsoft site. I ran it and it threw a flag on Blackberry Desktop Manager and stated that I may have minor issues with it after upgrading to Vista.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
GQBalla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Bell

i have vista ultimate and no issues whatso ever when using manager
Old 01-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
rayl

Well, I tried to uninstall and reinstall using the "Run as Administrator" option, but no luck. Desktop Manager just flashes on screen then closes. It never even initializes completely. I can start device manager, but it only shows the icon in system tray and won't even let me open it or show properties. Very odd.

Not sure what else to try. During install did anyone choose the option to install for all users or just the user you were logged in as(there is more than one user on my PC with the wife acct). Not sure how that would matter, but I chose the option to only install for the current user.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayl
Well, I tried to uninstall and reinstall using the "Run as Administrator" option, but no luck. Desktop Manager just flashes on screen then closes. It never even initializes completely. I can start device manager, but it only shows the icon in system tray and won't even let me open it or show properties. Very odd.

Not sure what else to try. During install did anyone choose the option to install for all users or just the user you were logged in as(there is more than one user on my PC with the wife acct). Not sure how that would matter, but I chose the option to only install for the current user.
I've been a Windows Vista bug tester from the beginning and have run into multiple issues with the latest OS. For example I'd recommend a clean install (format the drive then install Windows Vista) instead of upgrading then install Blackberry Desktop. The reason being there is currently a lot of third party applications that either don't work at all with Vista even with a clean install or cause issues after choosing to use the Vista upgrade. Blackberry Desktop works on a clean install of Vista. I do recommend those considering either purchasing Windows Vista to install on a current system or buying a new system with Vista preinstalled do some research on what applications and hardware you want to run. I've found limited support with Logitech devices and even when a driver is available such as for Logitech Orbit it doesn't function properly. If you've got a working system running Windows XP then I'd recommend waiting a few more months till Microsoft works out the rest of the OS bugs and third party software/hardware developers offer better support for Vista. Also it's crazy that after all these years of development Vista is such a memory hog requiring at least 1 GB RAM to function properly. Even though they use a lot of eye candy in this release I haven't experienced as much on similar looking eye candy OS such as PCLinuxOS or even OSX. Some things to consider before upgrading or purchasing Vista.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 01-28-2007 at 02:31 PM..
Old 02-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #9
rizzaj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

hey Rayl I am having the exact same problem but i think the very first time i ran it i think it worked. Ever since when i open it up it just flashes for a second then dissapears. Did you do a format reinstall with Vista or did you install it with data on the drive?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #10
fmotta

Carrier: TIM Italy
Default UAC Enabled

The only way to have desktop manager to work under Vista is having UAC enabled in the user panel and run the program as Administrator.
Ciao.

PS: You also HAVE to install it with UAC and Administrator privileges enabled!
Closed Thread