ernhrts3n8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Memory Leak

Please Login to Remove!

Good morning all,

I upgraded to OS 5 on my Storm 1. It runs great except for the fact that it drains my memory like crazy. I have all the same programs that I had my phone as previously. Nothing has changed. The only apps running in the background are: phone, home screen, browser and messages. That is the same as before. Can anyone give a reason why the memory is draining so quickly. Battery life is ok and I like the new OS very much except for this issue.

thanks in advance, Darlene
Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Why, the same reasons as before on all models since OS 4.2.2 was introduced on the Pearl and the first memory leak was featured, er, I mean noticed.

Honestly, its there. It's really noticeable if you are running BBM v5. Are you?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
ernhrts3n8
Thumbs Must Hurt

What is BBM v5? I don't even know what that is or how to find it. Is this something that can be deleted from my phone?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

BlackBerry Messenger Version 5

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
ernhrts3n8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
BlackBerry Messenger Version 5
How so I get rid of it? I don't use messenger type programs (unless that includes text messages).
Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Prior to OS 5, after boot I had 40-45 MB of free memory. Admittedly, I do not have a ton of apps running on my handheld. Since the upgrade, I experience about 32-33 MB of free memory after a boot but to be quite honest, it holds. Since Tuesday when I upgraded, the lowest I have seen it is 29.7. I left it alone and the next morning it was back over 32. I have performed one hard reset since the upgrade. I think that even though I have less available after a boot, it would appear that this OS manages memory better than any of the 4.7 versions.

And I am running BBM 5

Anyone else??
Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
I think that even though I have less available after a boot, it would appear that this OS manages memory better than any of the 4.7 versions.

And I am running BBM 5
Ditto
Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

That is good hear scassel.

@ ernhrt, look at your device Options > Advanced > Applications.

Scroll to BlackBerry Messenger, and see what version is listed there.

Also, question, do you use the Facebook app on the BlackBerry?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
ernhrts3n8
Thumbs Must Hurt

JBSanders, Actually, I don't even have BBM on my phone. I had deleted it at earlier versions of OS. I do have the facebook application on my phone. But, quite honestly, I usually go to the browser and then go onto facebook. Do I need to upgrade the facebook app or delete if from my phone? I have even purchased the Quick Pull Pro in hopes that the Pro version will work better than the free version. Also, when I do a battery pull, I only have 14 M of memory left...I do have a lot of themes and thrid party games and apps that I use....but nothing has been added to my apps since doing this upgrade and it always ran around 22 M before.

Last edited by ernhrts3n8; 10-30-2009 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: added to my post
Old 10-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

I got suckered into using Facebook, but even so, my mem is fine.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernhrts3n8 View Post
JBSanders, Actually, I don't even have BBM on my phone. I had deleted it at earlier versions of OS. I do have the facebook application on my phone. But, quite honestly, I usually go to the browser and then go onto facebook. Do I need to upgrade the facebook app or delete if from my phone? I have even purchased the Quick Pull Pro in hopes that the Pro version will work better than the free version. Also, when I do a battery pull, I only have 14 M of memory left...I do have a lot of themes and thrid party games and apps that I use....but nothing has been added to my apps since doing this upgrade and it always ran around 22 M before.
If you want to really free up some memory space, you will want to do the OS 5 upgrade in this order:

1. Backup all data on the device using DM.
2. Backup all thirdparty applications on the device
http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...arty-apps.html
3. Wipe the device at Options > Security. For the wipe, leave the third party apps unchecked, and just wipe the device data.
4. Reload the OS.
5. Restore your messages, calendar, contacts, etc. you desire using DM > Backup/Restore > Advanced.

I think you will see a 5-8 MB increase in your base app memory free space.
I did.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
scassel

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

JSanders is on the right track. As I stated, after the upgrade, my memory is now running a full 1/4 less than with the 4.7 build. But it is stable. You could also probably remove some themes as I hear most don't work with the new OS yet.

Good luck ernhrts3n8
Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
primcharly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I too am having similar memory issues. I started by uninstalling WeatherBug but since I am having similar issues it may be related to another app. I was going to try uninstalling UberTwitter next but since many people have mentioned issues with BBM 5, I am going to try this first: Drone Berry » Blog Archive » Memory Leak Fix For BBM 5.0.0.33!

If this and dealing with UberTwitter doesn't work, I may be in the same boat as ernhrts3n8.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
adorkable

PIN: Ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
Prior to OS 5, after boot I had 40-45 MB of free memory. Admittedly, I do not have a ton of apps running on my handheld. Since the upgrade, I experience about 32-33 MB of free memory after a boot but to be quite honest, it holds. Since Tuesday when I upgraded, the lowest I have seen it is 29.7. I left it alone and the next morning it was back over 32. I have performed one hard reset since the upgrade. I think that even though I have less available after a boot, it would appear that this OS manages memory better than any of the 4.7 versions.

And I am running BBM 5

Anyone else??
Ditto, and I am also running Facebook 1.7 on my phone too. I have to agree that it definitely seems like my phone performs better when it's down below 30MB with 5.0 than it did when it was below 30MB with 4.7.

ETA: I'm also running BBM 5.0 and UberTwitter.

Last edited by adorkable; 11-02-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
mmorici

Talking Memory Leak

What I found out is when Verizon touches a piece of software they destroy it. I've had .230, .323 & Official .328 on my Storm. OS.328 is a HUGE memory hog had to do daily reboots(sometimes hourly), slow scrolling, among other issues. OS.230 ran very good and all applied themes worked perfectly, definatly faster than .328, but slower than .323. Two things I've found out that don't seem to work on .323 are the themes when held sideways(white bar on both sides of screen), and on any of the versions is "Quick Pull Pro & Lite", I've tried everything and still getting the errors described in other posts on here.

But my winner would have to be .323, flick scrolling is awesome, no more daily reboots, themes I can live without, startup is lightning fast(under 2 mins), longer battery life, and the internet for some reason is faster as well. BTW going on 3 days without a reboot and memory seems to be holding nicely as well
Closed Thread