BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Lumberman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default IMAP account not working when bridged.

Please Login to Remove!

I have two IMAP accounts and 2 web based (gmail) email accounts in the messages application on my PlayBook. When I am not connected to wifi and only bridged to my 9900 everything works as expected except the IMAP accounts.

Both accounts are on the same mail server so it's possible that may be related.

Any idea?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada
Default Re: IMAP account not working when bridged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberman View Post
I have two IMAP accounts and 2 web based (gmail) email accounts in the messages application on my PlayBook. When I am not connected to wifi and only bridged to my 9900 everything works as expected except the IMAP accounts.

Both accounts are on the same mail server so it's possible that may be related.

Any idea?
You mean when you are tethered to you BB?

I know tethering works for me on my two separate exchange accounts.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Is your 9900 on a BES? If so then it may be that your corporate network is not allowing the connection to the IMAP server. If not, then it may be that the IMAP server is not accepting connectins from RIM.

The other issue may be your carrier. What kind of BlackBerry plan do you have with VMC? Not all of them support that kind of data that would be needed to Bridge or Tether to access IMAP.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Lumberman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
Carrier: Telus

No I do mean bridged. I can surf the web and my webmail works while only being bridged. Tethering is completely separate and I guess I assumed that is only for users of non-BB phones to get internet access. Have I misunderstood the differing concepts?

Also no my BB is not on a BES, just BIS. I am with Telus and have what I would imagine to be the standard BB plan. The IMAP accounts do work on the BB itself if that helps.

Thanks folks.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
hrbuckley

Bridging gives the PlayBook access to the net through the BIS (and for those who have it BES) connection and so goes through RIM servers. Tethering gives access directly to the net from your carrier so doesn't go through RIM servers. Tethering may involve extra data charges depending on your carrier and plan, so consult your carrier before trying it.

Sorry, my eyes slipped down to smoothadmin's post, which is where I say VMC.

I have not tried using the native messaging app via the bridge yet, I'll see if I can try that tonight, but since I'm on BIS/BES and with Rogers my results may not have any bearing on yours.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Bridging gives the PlayBook access to the net through the BIS (and for those who have it BES) connection and so goes through RIM servers. Tethering gives access directly to the net from your carrier so doesn't go through RIM servers. Tethering may involve extra data charges depending on your carrier and plan, so consult your carrier before trying it.

Sorry, my eyes slipped down to smoothadmin's post, which is where I say VMC.

I have not tried using the native messaging app via the bridge yet, I'll see if I can try that tonight, but since I'm on BIS/BES and with Rogers my results may not have any bearing on yours.
VMC gives its customers one plan, one price that is BIS/BES. Unlike Rogers, Bell, and Telus who charge you more for having a BES plan.

VMC also uses the Bell network which is better than Rogers. ;)

A.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothadmin View Post
VMC gives its customers one plan, one price that is BIS/BES. Unlike Rogers, Bell, and Telus who charge you more for having a BES plan.

A.
Indeed, for my personal cell phone needs I've been with VMC prepaid for a number of years. For me it is the best and most flexible plan available. They also have a really good tablet data plan. Now if they would let me combine my current voice plan with the tablet plan on a Samsung Galaxy Note you'd be able to see my grin from space.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothadmin View Post

A.
I though Bell was the worst.

We had tellus and tehy were ok but sucked with swaps. Dang you CDMA!

Rogers has been fine with us.

I guess it come as being what you were last burned by. many say AT&T sucks, but I have had no issue with them where i live.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread