Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Globetrotterdoug
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Cell Triangulation not working

Please Login to Remove!

On my BB 9700, cell triangulation no longer seems to work on my BB 9700. If I can get a GPS fix, it shows my location, if I'm indoors, I get nothing. My iPhone still gives the approximate location so it is not a cell tower issue. I have this issue with Google maps and Berryweather. I'm running OS 5.0.0.545. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Did you try a battery pull yet?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
trax95008
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

make sure the feature is turned on. options - advanced options - GPS - "location aiding" should be enabled
Old 04-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
jimroe
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotterdoug View Post
On my BB 9700, cell triangulation no longer seems to work on my BB 9700. If I can get a GPS fix, it shows my location, if I'm indoors, I get nothing. My iPhone still gives the approximate location so it is not a cell tower issue. I have this issue with Google maps and Berryweather. I'm running OS 5.0.0.545. Any ideas? Thanks.
Though I don't know that there's an issue with this OS version, I have seen a lot of similar posts mentioning similar problems.

As a test you might try forcing the device to 2G and see if tower location works - if it does then this is probably an issue with 3G towers in your area and that's not uncommon - many people have reported location issues with 3G but not with 2G.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

your iphone probably gps off the wifi router, your phone should not get gps indoors.

some do some dont, triangulation will only show the tower the phone is on.

my iphone, 9700, and assorted phones will not gps me indoors, they will show the tower i am on. on a side note try to leave the bb in a window see if it gps you.

in simple english its working as intended.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

GPS DOES work indoor in many scenarios, depending on the building type and surroundings. I have perfect GPS indoors in most places I am in. GPS locations off the WIFI router? Never heard of that before.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
trax95008

i agree that GPS does work indoors a lot of the time. and NO there is no such thing as GPS through wi-fi. they have NOTHING to do with each other. there is a technology that uses the mac address of wi-fi routers to give you a location position. it is called WPS. iphones use this technology but blackberry's DO NOT. this explains why "wabbit" thought you can get GPS from a router.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
i agree that GPS does work indoors a lot of the time. and NO there is no such thing as GPS through wi-fi. they have NOTHING to do with each other. there is a technology that uses the mac address of wi-fi routers to give you a location position. it is called WPS. iphones use this technology but blackberry's DO NOT. this explains why "wabbit" thought you can get GPS from a router.
alot of devices can gps off wifi, ipod touch can, my pc can, even my voip box can.

while it is triangulated position, its still gps.

gps is line of sight so depending on the building and the low / weak signal gps is, most do not work indoors.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
trax95008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
alot of devices can gps off wifi, ipod touch can, my pc can, even my voip box can.

while it is triangulated position, its still gps.

gps is line of sight so depending on the building and the low / weak signal gps is, most do not work indoors.
dude, you clearly dont undestand what GPS is. it does NOT require line of sight. I can get a GPS signal indoors. so there's proof you dont need line of sight.

ipod touch, does NOT have a GPS receiver built in. it uses WPS to locate your position. NOT GPS.

you should know the facts before you speak. look up WPS for yourself.

your PC gives you a position based on your IP address. again NOT GPS

VOIP box, again IP address

i think you should do some research. look up GPS and WPS. then come back and tell me your ipod touch uses GPS
Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
wabbit

Quote:
dude, you clearly dont undestand what GPS is. it does NOT require line of sight. I can get a GPS signal indoors. so there's proof you dont need line of sight.

ipod touch, does NOT have a GPS receiver built in. it uses WPS to locate your position. NOT GPS.

you should know the facts before you speak. look up WPS for yourself.

your PC gives you a position based on your IP address. again NOT GPS

VOIP box, again IP address

i think you should do some research. look up GPS and WPS. then come back and tell me your ipod touch uses GPS

Optimizing Indoor GPS Performance | GPS World

here i'll quote it.

Quote:
GPS was never intended for indoor environments, and indeed, the relatively weak satellite signals do not readily lend themselves to use in such environments. The Federal Communications Commission's E911 mandate has spurred significant effort in the GPS community to apply its combined expertise to solve this dilemma.
want another source?

Rosum TV-GPS - Seamless Indoor/Outdoor Location Technology

Quote:
GPS signals were designed for accurate tracking and location in open outdoor areas; however, indoors and in urban areas, the technology is not reliable. Assisted GPS (A-GPS) helps the GPS receiver by providing an alternate source of the fragile navigation message and helping the receiver average for extended periods of time. However, even A-GPS is unreliable indoors due to the fundamental physics of GPS satellite signals.
do you understand it has a 99% chance to fail working indoors.

it needs line of sight.

i understand that routers/internet etc use a different method behind getting the gps location, in the end its still the same. something still on the node has a gps programed to it or checks it to give out the gps info. same way ever cell tower has a gps receiver to know its global position on earth hence why the network can gps a cell phone and does on 911 calls.

gps will not work indoors, between the atmosphere killing the gps signal to the tiny receiver in the phones good luck thinking you will get gps indoors, heck navigation systems go crazy indoors if the sat poll interval is hit and you were inside long enough.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
trax95008

your starting to change your story. you implied that these devices received a GPS signal. they do not. i know that cell towers have GPS coordinates assigned to them. but when your phone is using cell tower triangulation, its comparing the CELLULAR signal strength to multiple towers to locate your position within those towers. and that is NOT GPS!! its CELL TOWER TRIANGULATION!!

and i understand that GPS was designed to be used outdoors. and outdoors is the "ideal" place to be when using it. however, it also happens to work indoors if given the right circumstance. as i sit at my computer INSIDE my house, my phone is sitting on my desk receiving a GPS signal. that is FACT. and based on that FACT, i can definitively say, that it DOES work indoors, and it does NOT require line of sight. i dont see how you can argue that
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
Rob377
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Whatever you want to call the process, mine isn't workin either. My iphone could give a position indoors and out. My Bold cannot. Very frustrating. Anyone know why?
(yes, GPS and location assist are enabled)
Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
wabbit

Quote:
your starting to change your story. you implied that these devices received a GPS signal. they do not. i know that cell towers have GPS coordinates assigned to them. but when your phone is using cell tower triangulation, its comparing the CELLULAR signal strength to multiple towers to locate your position within those towers. and that is NOT GPS!! its CELL TOWER TRIANGULATION!!

and i understand that GPS was designed to be used outdoors. and outdoors is the "ideal" place to be when using it. however, it also happens to work indoors if given the right circumstance. as i sit at my computer INSIDE my house, my phone is sitting on my desk receiving a GPS signal. that is FACT. and based on that FACT, i can definitively say, that it DOES work indoors, and it does NOT require line of sight. i dont see how you can argue that
i am not saying they get a gps signal, i said they can gps off my wifi, router, internet, you ASSUMED i said gps signal.

now stop steering people or misinforming. GPS 99% does not work indoors, the antenna's are miniature, and the gps signal is a very weak signal, where anything in the atmosphere can break it up.

the fact in some rural area in some barn you can pick up a signal indoors does not mean gps works indoors.

rain storms, lightning everything affects gps and even sat tv.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
trax95008

in order to misinform someone, you have to give them wrong information. what information did I give that was wrong?? according to your statement, GPS will only work indoors 1% of the time. i have found it to work a HELL of a lot more than that. in fact, its working indoors for me RIGHT NOW! and no i dont live in a barn. proof that it DOES work indoors. but of course, outdoors is ideal and prefered. and again, getting a location from your wi-fi is NOT GPS!! it is WPS!! there is a difference
Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
wabbit

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008
in order to misinform someone, you have to give them wrong information. what information did I give that was wrong?? according to your statement, GPS will only work indoors 1% of the time. i have found it to work a HELL of a lot more than that. in fact, its working indoors for me RIGHT NOW! and no i dont live in a barn. proof that it DOES work indoors. but of course, outdoors is ideal and prefered. and again, getting a location from your wi-fi is NOT GPS!! it is WPS!! there is a difference
The misinformation that it works indoors. It don't period. Some people some places are lucky and get it does not mean it works indoors. The fact that while you might get gps data. Just means you are lucky.

I have yet in ny seen gps work or lock on to a sat indoors for gps. Be it a vehicle. A cell phone. etc.

Gps sat lock should not be expected indoors
Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I do rarely get a GPS lock indoors.

So it does happen. Rarely, and according to the type of building.

Anyway, this thread has pretty much covered all the scenarios on the issue.
Closed Thread