BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
andrewilley

Model: 9360
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK
Default SD Card errors - OK to wipe all content and reformat?

Please Login to Remove!

Just quick noob question... my daughter has a 9360 on VirginMedia UK (7.0 OS) and she sometimes gets pop up messages about corruption on the SD Card saying "A media card has been inserted that contains errors. Do you wish to repair the media card now?" (if you do, it says successful but the error message comes back fairly soon).

I've tried backing the card up on my PC and run chkdsk to clean it up properly several times, but the errors come back within a month or so. I'm thinking of formatting the card to try to fix permanently, but want to know if there's anything that the OS stores on there by default that I need to copy off (user content such as music and photos I can deal with myself). Folders like system, BlackBerry, databases and files sound kinda important to me...

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-06-2012 at 12:09 PM..
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: SD Card errors - OK to wipe all content and reformat?

In my experience you should be ok. All the system and app information should be recreated. There might be some personalizations that will be lost, but that is probably not a big deal.

The only potential problem that would not be fixable would be if encryption is enabled for the media card and the mode is set to device password. The file that stores the encryption info is stored on the card and can't be recreated. You will need to copy that file as well if there are any encrypted files that you are keeping, then put that file back on the media card with the other files.

Also, as far as the card, if your daughter isn't doing something to cause the problem, you may want to get another card.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 10-07-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
andrewilley

Model: 9360
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK
Default Re: SD Card errors - OK to wipe all content and reformat?

Agreed. I've got a spare 8GB card around here somewhere, so I think I'll put that in and reformat it in the phone. No encryption on the card, so all's fine there. I'll backup the contents before doing anything anyway. (I did notice a What's App database folder on the card, so I might see if that needs dealing with first)

Andre
Closed Thread