Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Nocturne_sa
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Storm battery life

Please Login to Remove!

No sure if this has been discussed already but according to GSM Arena the Storm will have a 1400mAh battery... now this potentially poses battery life issues for a couple of reasons;

1) The bold suffers from poor battery life even with a 1500mAh battery
2) The storm will have a bigger screen in comparison to the bold and thus will require more 'juice' so to speak..

Any comments/observations?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

The reason for the "poor" battery life on the Bold is the 3G - not the Battery or the rest of the device.

For whatever reason, 3G appears to be a real battery sucker. I work in a mixed environment - mostly Windows Mobile devices (34,000) and BlackBerries (4,500) - and all the Windows Mobile 3G devices have terrible battery life. This is especially true of the Treo 750 and the iPod (which we've tested, but hasn't been approved yet for security - then legal - then security reasons).

As for the screen, the resolution is what determines how much juice it takes. The Storm's screen is just over 10% higher than the Bold's, but over twice that of the Curve/8800 series. While it will obviously draw more power, with a bit of care it probably won't be significant.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Well... As we add more third party apps, are we going to have to carry an extra battery around with us?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
benjamin7062

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

While it is true the phone isn't out for general release there are several folks on this forum who already have one. I'd like to hear from folks on both Verizon and AT&T in regards to their experience with battery life. The best reviews usually come from folks who have had the phone for a month or two and the *new* has worn off. Personally, I'd rather hear all the down sides to the phone so when I purchase one I'm not caught off guard or disappointed. Battery life will probably not be as good as the curve; processor speed, screen contrast, network protocols, software, etc.. all play a factor in battery life. Most blackberry phones are slow compromising speed for battery life. Personally, I'm very thankful they consider this in their design. I own an iphone and want to LOVE the phone. It has a great user experience in a lot of ways but it's also lacking in a lot of ways. The battery is a significant pitfall on the iPhone. For me, I want the phone to do two things well... be a phone and keep me in sync with email. This requires juice. Everything else is second priority. Thus, I've always been happy to wait a little longer for things to happen on the phone knowing my battery lasts forEVER without a charge.

So,... how does the Storm measure up?

And, not to hijack the thread or anything but anyone want to give a detailed opinion about the keyboard. Every blackberry takes some getting used to. Some number of weeks. Any of you early storm folks taken the time to settle in to the phone? What would you say your speed is like compared to your other phones? (after weeks of typing on it and getting used to it?)
Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
CarterTan

Model: 9000
PIN: 20959bbb
Carrier: M1

A 2.5G base station can cover up to 35km as compared to a 3G base station, which can only cover up to 5km. More base stations are required to be implemented as the further the coverage a 3G device requires to get its signal from, the more battery power it will consume. This explains why 3G devices are a big battery drainer.

MCSE, MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator, MCITP Enterprise Administrator
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
papasmurf3

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 9530 Battery Issues

I've had the 9530 since Friday afternoon and so far I've seen terrible battery life. I've gone from 100% to 15% in 14 hours without using the phone at all.
I've turned off everything I don't "need" yet still see the battery draining considerably.
I've read that the battery needs several full/long charges before it starts getting longer life but I've never had that with a BB Battery before.
Anyone else seeing this issue?

Also, as far as the OS is concerned, i've been careful because i don't want it to tun out of juice but I had to pull the battery when the inbox wouldn't let me go to the most recent messages, it just kept bouncing back to a day before. Sometimes the screen gets stuck in landscape and I have to pull the batter but generally it's been ok.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
blackberryfreeware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-mobile

Can someone compare the battery life with the first edition Iphone and the Storm. I just got so tired with charging my old Iphone.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:31 AM   #8
Swissberry

Model: 9500
Carrier: Swisscom

I've gone from 100% to 10% in 12 hours without using the phone at all.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
Nevadadrifter

Model: Bold

I feel the need to chime in here about my experiences with the battery so far.

The first day, I took it out of the box (showing a full charge), and let it charge for an additional 4 hours before going to work with it. After moderate usage, including calls, browsing, exploring misc apps and text/email usage, I was down to 20% after only 8 hours.

I decided right there that I was going to return it first thing Monday morning. Then I took it home, and let it charge for somewhere between 12-14 hours with no usage during that time.

Tonight, I have used it just a heavily, if not more so, than the first night. I have only dropped by 1/2 of a bar! So I believe that giving it a good long charge to begin with will result in a significant change in battery life.

I also made 2 other changes.

1. I deleted VZW navigator. This was after reading that some users were finding their phones operating faster after getting rid of navigator. The transition from portrait to landscape mode became much faster. I am wondering if somehow the navigator program was bogging down the processor a little bit and possibly reducing battery life?

2. I made sure the GPS setting was left at "911 only" If you're going to be using BB maps or google maps (for those of you who somehow got google maps to work with GPS and not just triangulation), it only takes a few clicks to go through and turn the GPS back on. Leaving GPS on will only make the battery drain faster.

These 2 changes have seemingly made a drastic difference in battery life. I know that the default setting for the GPS is 911 only, but it's often easy to forget we left it on after using a mapping app.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
geachy

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vodafone

I'm having the same problem.

I've had to charge it twice yesterday and all I did was make a 10 minute call. I've tried a couple of things (reduced the backlight brightness, kept in the holster when not using it etc.) but it still drains the battery like a blood sucking vampire.

Is this a OEM fault or is this as good as it gets?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
tpr261

Model: 9550
PIN: 312AD0AD

Along this same line, sorta, will batteries from any other BB model fit the Storm? I have an extended life battery for my Pearl and would love to use it as a spare. Any insight? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
Donbp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Well, I started another thread on this so I guess I should post an update now. The first day I went from 100 to 20 % in less that 15 hours. The second day (yesterday) I went from 100 to 55 % in 24 hours. I'll see what happens today but the rumor that these batteries may need several long term chargings before they are fully conditioned may be true.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
stormson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

I am having same problems with my battery. it wont even stay on for a full 24 hours under minimal use. If i have half a battery, go to bed with the fone in the holster, by the time I wake up its dead to the point where it wont even turn on.

Is this a battery conditioning issue, or does this thing need to be returned, because this is rediculous...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Same issue with my Bold, batteries are just not what they once were! Lots of juice needed to power these monsters through out a day.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
webmstrk9
Thumbs Must Hurt

try lowering your brightness, i have set mine to 40% and do not notice the diff. Also, if you have started a GPS dependent app, I'd recommend EXITING it not just closing it as it will chew up your battery life. Also, turn off auto dim, this helps from the phone determining the brightness to use.

Yesterday I had 3-4hrs worth of calls on a BT headset, browsed the web, emailed and sms'd with 65% capacity still remaining after 12hrs.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
stormson
Thumbs Must Hurt

What about removing unused apps like Flikr and yahoo/ google messengers... is there a way to do this?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormson View Post
I am having same problems with my battery. it wont even stay on for a full 24 hours under minimal use. If i have half a battery, go to bed with the fone in the holster, by the time I wake up its dead to the point where it wont even turn on.

If it's discharging in the holster while you sleep then something has to be running/searching during that time. Look into that before you return it. If you don't beleive me then shut it off before you go to bed and see if the battery runs down.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #18
webmstrk9
Thumbs Must Hurt

you can remove them at your own discretion by going into options | advance options | applications | highlighting the app you want to remove, menu, delete.

again, do this at your own discretion.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
on1sony
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

I thin k running the instant messengers full time all day drain the batteries even more... especially if you have a big buddy list on yahoo!

Saving 600 dollars a year by switching from verizon to tmobile!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
papageno19

I think the battery conditioning is the key here. I've heard the battery with the Storm is not pre-conditioned like those with older models of blackberry. For me though, it's not a deal breaker. I plan on using every last feature this phone has to offer from listening to music to watching movies, email, navigation, web, and of course talking on it haha so I dont expect the battery to last a week like my ancient RAZR.

Remember Verizon lets you return it within 30 days so don't make any rash decisions after a couple of days or even a week of use. Remember also that its a new product and update when necessary.
Closed Thread