Old 08-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Does RIM read the forums?

Please Login to Remove!

I know that Palm reads various treo forums I wanted to know if RIM does also or if people who work for RIM post here.

The reason I am asking this is I along with a few others have 1 suggestion to make our device better and it should be a simple to program and add to a phone update..

A lot of us are former Treo users and greatly miss the threaded text messaging that the treo has, I know the treo threading app was transfered to windows mobil and can be installed on any WM or Palm OS device.. RIM would only need to do a few simple program changes and they could easily imitate the treo treading.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

what does it do? Ive never heard of it.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

[email address] is your best bet.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
I know that Palm reads various treo forums I wanted to know if RIM does also or if people who work for RIM post here.

The reason I am asking this is I along with a few others have 1 suggestion to make our device better and it should be a simple to program and add to a phone update..

A lot of us are former Treo users and greatly miss the threaded text messaging that the treo has, I know the treo threading app was transfered to windows mobil and can be installed on any WM or Palm OS device.. RIM would only need to do a few simple program changes and they could easily imitate the treo treading.
umm...it's not always so "simple." there could be patents to get around and copyright issues to settle...
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
what does it do? Ive never heard of it.
Basically makes it like an AIM conversation like the BB but, here ill do a diagram thing.

SMS inbox

Mark
Ed
Mark
Mark
Ed
Ed
Eric

Thats how the BB currently looks^^^ and when you click on a message it will bring up the last few texts with that person

On a treo it would look like this

Mark
Ed
Eric

Just the 3 names with the most recent text the persons name goes to the top of the list. When you click the name you get all the texts you have had with that person. Its just a more convent way to handle things

All RIM would need to do is change the SMS inbox to combine all the texts from that person into 1 long conversation. I know it doesnt sound like a big deal but it makes it easy and less cluttered to text someone.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
bricenojr

Model: 8120
Smile

Yeah that makes sense... I would love that. That is the ONLY way I read my mail in Outlook, by sender.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I would like this too. I think it is similar to what they do with the BB Messenger. But of course that only works with PIN numbers, and other people with BlackBerries with the BlackBerry Messenger app installed.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
international

Default Improved SMS Thread for BB

I believe where there is a will there is a way. If enough BB users desire the Treo-like sms version, perhaps BB will issue an update that would improve how all of us communicate via sms. The first question for is is there ANYBODY who has a highlevel contact with RIM who could raise this issue? I would be willing to lend my serves in this effort.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by international View Post
I believe where there is a will there is a way. If enough BB users desire the Treo-like sms version, perhaps BB will issue an update that would improve how all of us communicate via sms. The first question for is is there ANYBODY who has a highlevel contact with RIM who could raise this issue? I would be willing to lend my serves in this effort.
dont hold your breath
Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #11
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
dont hold your breath
Come on have a little hope.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

dude I have been around BBs for a while and these forums for more than two years and I can tell you your out of luck
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #13
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Lol I swear no matter what forum I'm on, no matter what os being discussed, every former treo owner is a threaded sms evangelist! On the HoFo s60 forums this was almost a daily request!

-olly
YIM: seattleolly
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #14
arazu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Are they reading the forums:Yes

Will they alter software discussed here; No

Just a quick and dirty reply to your OP.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #15
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollywompus View Post
Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Lol I swear no matter what forum I'm on, no matter what os being discussed, every former treo owner is a threaded sms evangelist! On the HoFo s60 forums this was almost a daily request!

-olly
Its just that good... Once you have it you never forget it lol.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #16
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Quote:
Its just that good... Once you have it you never forget it lol.
Good concept might be worth having the option...
Personally I prefer to have it running in time/date order address things when they come in not by whom they come from..
Old 08-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #17
international

Default Text/SMS Preferences for BB

How about RIM answering the following question raised below and all of us commenting on specific likes/dislikes for sms/texting:

How can BB improve the sms/ organization?

I like the one sms thread for each person listing statements and storing them until you decide to delete a specific text or entire thread. I like when I can easily view, by color, my comments versus the sender.

If the sms function can be developed better than what the Treo currently offers that could be a factor that induces a signifcant percentage of Treo users to cross over (assuming the data plan doesn't present a deal breaker). Simply, improve the visual aesthetics by introducing a single thread per person and a different color for the sender/reader! MARKET THIS NEW FUNCTION.

At the end of the day, a car is a car. However, luxury cars have included a quasi sports-look to gain market share for the common man/woman and for the wealthy. Similarly, BB can do more with its software and gain more marketshare in the short & long term. People NEED to think out of the box and be creative to address "needs/desires". In this context, the iphone is instructive.

Just my thoughts and I am interested in your point of view. We can agree to disagree but if we all concede this is an SMS improvement worth having, an active plan for action will bring about a direct answer from RIM versus nonaction leaving us all wondering about that "brighter work/college day tomorrow".

Work hard & Party right!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #18
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Threaded messages is NOT always a good thing.

With multiple messages (SMS is something the Pearl does, btw) its hard to decipher the timeline of each occured. BTW, there is a reason why PALM is in financial trouble with lackluster sales. It isn't a company revered the way Apple was when it had dire financial troubles back in 91 - so if Palm "reads" their threads but doesn't listen or innovate beyond making a smaller laptop and going back & forth with the OS they'll go out of business soon enough.

If you're refering to threaded messages that the PocketPC - 750v has then I see your point. However, in that implementation it takes up unnecessary screen real-estate just to display the threads.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

I used a Treo 600 way back when, and while I liked the threaded SMS once I moved to a BlackBerry (when the 7100t first came about) I never missed the threaded SMS. It honestly wasn't that big of a deal to me and I Have never quite understood the fascination with threaded SMS.

And yes, I send lots of SMS each month.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #20
jonabyte
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
I wanted to know if RIM does also or if people who work for RIM post here.
Read: yes

Post: maybe, the job may be on the line depending on whats posted
Closed Thread