Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority
Default Food for thought

Please Login to Remove!

So my 9900 has been getting good battery life all thing considered...

I use it mainly for web, text, and email... I have been getting a full day out of a charge which is pretty darn good in my opinion...

I hardly ever use BBM and in the 7 or so years of using Blackberry, I have maybe used it a total of 30-40 times...

So I decided to remove it from the device as a test on battery life since it is always running in the background...

Yesterday was my 1st full day with it removed and I used the device as normal.. By the end of the day (nite nite time) my battery was previously needing some juice but yesterday I still had 40% left..

Is BBM that much of a power hog? Does BBM have a bug causing it to drain the battery more than it should?

I am going to keep it deleted for a week then re add it for a week and see if it really is BBM taking a chunk out of battery life...

That is all....
Old 09-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Food for thought

I wouldn't think it would be that much of a drain, but then, strange things happen when electronics are a factor. If it constanly checks for a connection or a message, then maybe ....

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I would not think its that much of a battery hog either but since I deleted it my battery life has greatly improved.. We shall see..

I am going to keep it deleted for a week then add it back for a week...
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Besides BBM I have Office Communicator, both of which are always on. Battery life stinks. It may be that BBM is a hog. 4 hours of average use - two phone calls, a few texts and BBM and OCS and at 50%. Temporary solution - a spare battery - will be here next week. But it is bad!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
4 hours of average use - two phone calls, a few texts and BBM and OCS and at 50%. Temporary solution - a spare battery - will be here next week. But it is bad!
If you just got it keep it mind it improves a bit over the first charge cycles. At least it has for every handset in the office. And there are quite a few of them in operation here. Had more than 120 minutes of calls and group BBM, video playback of a Pushcast feed i subscribe through BES, pushed news feeds, some browsing, someone on facebook getting overly excited and bombarding me with messages and Repligo that i forgot running in the background displaying a pdf. Didn't hit 50%.

It is bad, no question about it, but maybe not as bad as you may think. Try keeping it on the charger for extended periods during your first few charging cycles.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

To update my BBM'less battery test:

How I have used it.. I hardly ever use phone! I use the browser quite a bit, SMS, email, and always have Pocketday Sports running in the background..

I wake up about 7am and remove it from the charger. Its gets plugged back in at about 10pm.. Figure about 15 hours a day off the charger.

Without BBM installed I am easily getting through the day. When I plug it back in I have anywhere between 35% to 45% of battery life left..

I will add BBM back tomorrow am and see what effect that has on the battery..

Oh, I am running the stock T-Mobile .250 OS
Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
loaffish

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange

How did it go ?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

He never posted back after over a month - LOL

I can however see BBM chewing through battery; no different than social feeds IMO.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Sorry I forgot about this thread.... Yes BBM was seriously eating battery and I noticed a HUGE difference when it was removed from the BB....
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wish I could delete it from my phone, this OS what even let you take it off from DM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydman View Post
Wish I could delete it from my phone, this OS what even let you take it off from DM.
Update it via app store then it can be deleted from within the device.... That is what I had to do...
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Won't work for me, when I go to Appstore online with it hooked into computer Messenger isn't even listed. When I go to Appstore on my phone it is listed but no option to delete. Can't upgrade because it has the newest version on there already, in DM it is completely grayed out no options says "Required" on it.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Join BlackBerry Beta, download the beta version, then delete...

Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Well played sir we played, took awhile to get through all the new user agreements but it worked. BBM gone!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #15
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Not disagreeing with Lunks observation of removing bbm to save battery, but it would be good to see if Sydman gets the same results.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

I will see if I get an improvment from taking it off, but I can make it two days easy on one charge as it is. So wanting more than that might be geting gready, will report back with what I find.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydman View Post
Well played sir we played, took awhile to get through all the new user agreements but it worked. BBM gone!
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Not disagreeing with Lunks observation of removing bbm to save battery, but it would be good to see if Sydman gets the same results.
I'd guesstimate removing BBM decreased battery usage by maybe 15-20%
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Unplugged yesterday at 3pm and did a Alt-Shift-Del to reset the phone, so 24 hours now. Battery level is at 75%, that is three emails, 36 text message, two phone calls totaling 12 minutes. My WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth was off the whole time, B Weather updating every 30 minutes for temp and 6 hours for advisories. Logged no internet time on the phone this go around so the rest was all standby.

Will see how the next 24 hours goes I will not charge it tonight and see where I am at tomorrow at 3pm.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Going on 48 hours now, on top of usage yesterday I had 5 more emails, 53 more text message, 2 phone calls that were maybe 12 minutes, WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth remained off the whole time. B weather still updating every 30 minutes for temp and 6 hours for advisories, got onto FB a couple of times so total maybe 5 minutes of internet.

My battery level is at 50% so looks like I am using 25% a day, I will see if I can push it to three days and see where I am at at 3pm tomorrow. After this test is done I am going to turn WIFI back on because I normally have that on all the time, since I have it here at home and at school. I usually forget to turn it off in between so it is searching for a signal the whole time. Will see what kind of effect WIFI has on the battery.

As far as having BB messenger taken off improving battery life, I guess I won't know until next time with WIFI on. But this is an improvement from normal but not a vast one, as stated before I could make it two days no problem I would just have been at about 35-40% on battery.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #20
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Ok I am going to have to cave in and plug my phone in now before bed, I have school tomorrow and don't want to risk it getting to low while I am there and harm the battery. I had another 33 texts message, 3 emails, and a quick 2 minute phone call. Also had quite a bit of internet usage here at the end, (was trying to find a music video for Foreigner "I want to know what love is" that isn't live.

Anyway, I had about 15 minutes of straight internet usage on WIFI and some videos playing, also took about 15 photos with the phones camera and went through my photo album a little bit.

My battery is at 25% and is being plugged in right now so that is 59 hours total on one battery charge. To me that is fantastic but as you can see I am not exactly on the phone all the time, and I am on the very low end probably of what others might do as far as usage. Still that being said I think there is a slight increase from having taken off the messenger but nothing so dramatic I would tell people to be without it if it is something they actually use.