Old 02-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
ckershner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Cool Firmware update via bes 4.1.6

Please Login to Remove!

I have been digging around trying to find how to get new firmware updates loaded into my BES server but so far I have not found it. I know I did it once before at another location but I'll be darned if I can remember how now. I want to be able to update my devices to the newest firmware remotely all of them are running higher than version 4.5. I went into my policy and set "Allow Non Enterprise Update" to true but when I do a View/Upgrade software on a test user it says there "An upgrade softwar request failed to be queued for 0 user(s) and no upgrades were available for 1 user(s).

This leads me to the thought I need to import newer firmware into the server to deploy. That it will not just go out and check the carrier for the new software. Is this the case? I know I am missing something but I just cant not think of it to save me.

Thank you
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Re: Firmware update via bes 4.1.6

That only works if the home carrier of your devices supports wireless device OS upgrades. For example, we have T-Mobile branded and CSL branded devices. We can only upgrade the CSL devices wirelessly as T-Mobile does not support this (yet).

You don't have to load the device software onto BES, the carrier will push it directly. But you can decide on the BES which device will get which version and when.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I have seen the process take over 4 hours to upgrade a device.
So choose the time to update carefully
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
ckershner

Ok well is there something I have to turn on in the server to tell it which devices to allow updates for? I see some updates are loaded there but it is for older handhelds and I cant remember to save my life how to get it enabled for new handhelds.

I do know it can take a long time but there are some devices that are so remotely deployed that doing this type of upgrade is much better than having the device shipped in for upgrades.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
cyclmpc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckershner View Post
Ok well is there something I have to turn on in the server to tell it which devices to allow updates for? I see some updates are loaded there but it is for older handhelds and I cant remember to save my life how to get it enabled for new handhelds.

I do know it can take a long time but there are some devices that are so remotely deployed that doing this type of upgrade is much better than having the device shipped in for upgrades.
You need to download this document, BES Administration Guide - Wireless Software Upgrades http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...tion_Guide.pdf
Old 02-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
ckershner

Thanks that is a very helpful document for the process that is used for the upgrade. But I didnt see anything in there that would tell me I needed to enable anything on my BES server to allow me to push updates out. Well unless its just been one of those days and I am missing it.

But it seems like I should need to tell the BES somewhere what models it is allowed to perform updates on.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
cyclmpc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

You may have already done this, but have you confirmed that the devices you want to update have an available OS that your carrier has approved for OTA? Just because you have seen your device have a new OS, doesn't mean your carrier has approved it. Then even if your carrier has released it, that does not mean your carrier has approved it for OTA. This is all before you do the setup on the Administration service.