Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Playbook vs 'The New' iPad

Please Login to Remove!

I own 2 apple devices, iPhone 4GS and iPad 2. This last weekend I was out all weekend at the Sportsmans club shooting and had my iPad with me the entire time, Many of the guys there that had their playbooks with them were impressed with it. And yes if I need to install another server just for BES then I consider that a 3rd party server, just like I would an Exchange server, Proxy server or anything along those lines. Migrating over to the iPad's and iPhones allowed me to eliminate a lot of servers that I don't need to manage anymore since those devices hook to the Exchange server.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

What's a Playbook? Is this the one that recently went on clearance sale @ $199 for a 64GB model and they still could not sell em?

If this is the EPIC tablet that the OP speaks of then all I have to say is:

Chicken salad sammich!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #23
foobbar

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
And yes if I need to install another server just for BES...
And again - you don't need BES. What BES does for BlackBerries is way beyond what you get without some MDM software, so don't compare what cannot be compared.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #24
foobbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
What's a Playbook? Is this the one that recently went on clearance sale @ $199 for a 64GB model and they still could not sell em?
Maybe that's because most people find it easier to be copycats rather than actually getting the good thing. And it was $199 for a 16GB model... and where I was there were limits to one per customer because they were selling faster than vendors were getting them. Right, still not blind-sighted Apple fan teritorry, but...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobbar View Post
Maybe that's because most people find it easier to be copycats rather than actually getting the good thing. And it was $199 for a 16GB model... and where I was there were limits to one per customer because they were selling faster than vendors were getting them. Right, still not blind-sighted Apple fan teritorry, but...
My Best Buy had all 3 versions priced at $199 and when I asked if they had any left he said "oh ya, plenty"
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
foobbar

Well, you must live in a very special place. I hope you bought a number of them and just can't admit it due to Apple fan peer pressure.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #27
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Well, you must live in a very special place. I hope you bought a number of them and just can't admit it due to Apple fan peer pressure.
I think you may be the one living in a special place. Take a look at the numbers:

VatorNews - Apple hits all-time high in tablet market-share demand

This is for corporations, RIM's bread and butter. The iPad is the only tablet with an increase in demand, the Playbook dropped 2% from November 2011 to Feb 2012.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #28
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Because I have an iPad I bowed to Apple peer pressure? You are making yourself look dumb with statements like that...

And no I didn't buy and playbooks.. Why would anyone?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
foobbar

Well, about dumbness and peer pressure - I didn't see you making a single factual comment about device abilities and have only pointed out the incidental, surrounding effects. That says you are mostly affected by that kind of information.

Why would anyone buy PlayBooks? Because they have to offer stuff competing products do not, for example. I should not list those, there's enough of it everywhere, one just has to be willing to read.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #30
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

It's funny when people have to defend and / or justify their purchase to themselves..

If you are happy with it (you'd be one of the few) then enjoy it.. As for me? Love the new iPad and the wicked 4G speeds..

Enjoy the Playbook dude.. LOL
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #31
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Because they have to offer stuff competing products do not, for example.
I know one thing that the PlayBook has which the iPad doesn't... Failure.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
johnherdman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9360
PIN: 28D9B16C
Carrier: O2 UK

Well, as we don't even have BES in our company (Which is an IT Support company) but I can still use the playbook on the network, easy access the shared drives on the server and edit them with DocsToGo Premium (Which is included as standard), bridge my Curve 9360 with it so I can get all my emails (through Bridge) and use active sync for contacts/calendars (Through the data connection on the Curve) whats not to like.

Also the 7" format is an idea compromise to carry around with you. I also have a Motorola Xoom which never leaves the house because its simpley to big.

For Business, The Playbook is the ultimate tablet, there are short comings on the thing, just like there is on the iPad and Android, but the security is better (Blackberry is more secure than both, plus the fact that there isn't a lot of them around helps matters) and does exactly what business people want.

Want an entertainment device, get an Android Tablet, the Xoom excels in Games etc, but is absolutely crap at business stuff and I've already had a virus on it from Google Play. Luckily I have Dr.Web installed on it. iOS is not better, just visit MobileSafari iOS 5.1 - Adress bar spoofing Demo for a demo of just how good iOS security is.

oohh and before you think I hate Apple Product's, I am an Apple Tech and love Mac's.

Last edited by johnherdman; 03-23-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Old 03-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherdman View Post
Well, as we don't even have BES in our company (Which is an IT Support company) but I can still use the playbook on the network, easy access the shared drives on the server and edit them with DocsToGo Premium (Which is included as standard), bridge my Curve 9360 with it so I can get all my emails (through Bridge) and use active sync for contacts/calendars (Through the data connection on the Curve) whats not to like.
Odd how you need to bridge your playbook to your blackberry to sync your emails while I have my emails coming to both my iPad and iPhone at the same time and I don't need to "bridge" them together to do it. I paid for 1 app total for business use and that's it. I use my iPad to browse the network shares, admin the routers, switches, ssl/vpn, RDP into all the servers, print off reports, etc. Basically the same work that I do on my work laptop. All without ever connecting my iPhone to my ipad to get emails. Everything on both devices are through Exchange.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #34
johnherdman

Model: 9360
PIN: 28D9B16C
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
Odd how you need to bridge your playbook to your blackberry to sync your emails while I have my emails coming to both my iPad and iPhone at the same time and I don't need to "bridge" them together to do it. I paid for 1 app total for business use and that's it. I use my iPad to browse the network shares, admin the routers, switches, ssl/vpn, RDP into all the servers, print off reports, etc. Basically the same work that I do on my work laptop. All without ever connecting my iPhone to my ipad to get emails. Everything on both devices are through Exchange.
Bridge is a free app, i didn't have to pay for it. DocsToGo Premium is also free on BB OS7 and Playbook OS2.

Yes you might use the iPad and iPhone to get emails, but thats 2 data sets you are using, not one. 2 devices that require 2 data connections, Active Sync is also not that Data Efficient compared to BIS/BES either is it? (Every time it checks for emails it uses 100+k, BIS/BES uses 10k.)

Also like i said, iOS is a consumer device, yes it can do everything you need apart from true multi tasking. I would prefare security over anything since i deal with customers data all the time.

Last edited by johnherdman; 03-24-2012 at 04:29 AM..
Old 03-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #35
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

So iOS is for consumers.
PlayBook is for a very small niche. And it is killing RIM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #36
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherdman View Post
iOS is a consumer device
Famous last words by RIM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #37
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Which is why more than 40% of our corporate users have switched from BlackBerrys to iOS device. Consumers. Right. The PlayBook is taking RIM down quickly, and the company is doing NOTHING to stem the tide. BB 10? Requires new BES? Forget about it.

RIM has to do something dramatic. And NOW.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #38
federgejzla

Model: 9860
Carrier: Rogers

I didn't want to come back to this thread, but it is ridicilous what kinds of statements are made. "Requires new BES? RIM has to do something dramatic. And NOW."? Seems to me that you are angry at the company without a single clue as to what is going on.

Enhancements in RIM devices are leaps and bounds more "dramatic" than anything Apple has *ever* done since they came into existence decades ago. You wouldn't want a new BES? Well, wake up! If you want to actually manage new devices (including your beloved iOS), you'll need new software. Can't keep the old and want the new. That does not work that way.

PlayBook is an amazing product whichever way one cuts it, if you are willing to have a look. What RIM has failed (so far) is something they never did (I guess because they didn't have to) - marketing. Apple's marketing is powerful enough to sell whatever crap they want. RIM's products are better in almost every respect of any importance, if you compare what needs to be compared.

So NJBlackBerry, penguin3107, audit, stop your posts. You talk too much, yet manage to say nothing about what is at hand. You keep hating RIM and its products but have not provided a single actual reason as to why is PlayBook or iPad better than the other. Apple fanboys (girls?) on blackberryforums.com ... It is interesting that you hang out here and not somewhere else.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #39
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

You have no idea who you're talking to. Those guys were using Blackberry devices when you were in diapers. They have forgotten far more about Blackberry products than you will ever know.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #40
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I'll be more succinct - stop shilling for RIM. You sound like an idiot. I've had a BlackBerry since RIM gave me a 950. Google it. It was unbelievable for the time.

I have a PlayBook. I bought a 64GB one the day it came out. Couldn't wait for it. The shortcomings appeared immediately. It had "potential" but wasn't useful. No apps. No native e-mail (bridging is innovative?). It was a desperate attempt to get to the tablet market which the iPad owned then and owns now.

I also have a new iPad (replacing an original iPad), a Motorola XOOM, a Kindle Fire and some sort of Samsung Android device somewhere. I think I can compare the usefulness of each. I am a customer who works for a company with revenues of over $40bn. I know what works for me and what doesn't. I don't need to be lectured by someone who showed up 30 seconds ago to promote a product that the market has rejected. I also know that our internal customers are sprinting away from RIM. I, however, won't be giving up my BlackBerry any time soon.

With respect to a new BES, we have 30 BES globally. All in redundant clusters. No one in my company will pay for a new BES because of BB 10. I know. I own the budget. Perhaps you have one BES and it is achievable, but that's just more bad marketing.

I am NOT an Apple Fanboy. I just know a useless device (the PlayBook) when I use it.

Just wondering - do you work for RIM or their PR company? Because you certainly sound like a shill.
Closed Thread