Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default Verizon Disables 8830 GPS - NO Enablement planned See page 4

Please Login to Remove!

I spoke to Verizon today to discuss returning my 8830 because of the crippled GPS.

The billing person said that it should be included with my plan so she had a tech talk to me. The tech started by showing me how to get directions in the MAPS application. I said that wasn't what I was talking about. Then the tech had me go into Advanced Options and was going to have me set the "GPS Services" to "Location On" (which I already had set). I informed the tech that it was still not functioning. Then the tech said she would transfer me to RIM. I advised her of the discussions that have been happening on the internet about this and that the other carriers have the GPS enabled. The tech asked if there was anything else and I said now and ended the call.

10 minutes later, I received a callback from the billing person. She said that they had spoken to RIM and there is a patch that is coming out for all 8830 devices in the next two weeks which will enable the GPS capability (without additional charges!)

I am skeptical since the Sprint 8830 is already able to use the GPS.
What is the device software version on the Sprint 8830? Is it available for download?

Now, I am less than two weeks away from the end of my first 30 days in which I can; return the device, get a refund, and not receive the "Early Termination Penalty". I told the billing person that I did not want to risk that the GPS enablement information was wrong and be stuck with the device. She offered to extend me an additional 30 days so that I can see if the GPS gets enabled. I've now got to the middle of August.

So, I will wait to see if their information is accurate. If not, I will be switching over to Sprint's 8830.

I don't know if I should trust Verizon.

Last edited by brittonx; 07-24-2007 at 02:58 PM..
Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
I spoke to Verizon today to discuss returning my 8830 because of the crippled GPS.

The billing person said that it should be included with my plan so she had a tech talk to me. The tech started by showing me how to get directions in the MAPS application. I said that wasn't what I was talking about. Then the tech had me go into Advanced Options and was going to have me set the "GPS Services" to "Location On" (which I already had set). I informed the tech that it was still not functioning. Then the tech said she would transfer me to RIM. I advised her of the discussions that have been happening on the internet about this and that the other carriers have the GPS enabled. The tech asked if there was anything else and I said now and ended the call.

10 minutes later, I received a callback from the billing person. She said that they had spoken to RIM and there is a patch that is coming out for all 8830 devices in the next two weeks which will enable the GPS capability (without additional charges!)

What is the device software version on the Sprint 8830? Is it available for download?

Now, I am less than two weeks away from the end of my first 30 days in which I can; return the device, get a refund, and not receive the "Early Termination Penalty". I told the billing person that I did not want to risk that the GPS enablement information was wrong and be stuck with the device. She offered to extend me an additional 30 days so that I can see if the GPS gets enabled. I've now got to the middle of August.

So, I will wait to see if their information is accurate. If not, I will be switching over to Sprint's 8830.

Having been with Sprint for some time on an 8703e, I can tell you the GPS works perfectly. I should be getting my 8830 anytime (or maybe tomorrow- who knows), and I will test out the GPS and let you know.

As for trusting Verizon, I can't speak much to that, other than the fact that I've had a few bad incidents with our Business Rep. Telling us one price and charging another.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T

I will take this information with a grain of salt...

however, thank you for providing it. It would be nice if it were true. It will be very interesting to see what happens in 2 weeks.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

There's no way there won't be additional charges to use GPS. No way.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
FroogleThis

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Yea, I agree with blackberryer. Sprint told me they didnt charge for it, but that TeleNav did charge a fee.thats the hook. Verizon won't personally charge you. But TeleNav will pop you witha $10.00 a month charge.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW
Smile

Question: Didnt VZW disable this when they got the phone from RIM? THat is my impression so how can RIM push a update how to enable it...WOuldnt VZW give them that right. That is one reason why VZW didnt get the iPhone as they didnt want to give all rights to Apple, they wanted the control.

C

Quote:

Old 07-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
mikejaret

Carrier: verizon

youre wrong, they had no problem letting apple sell the phone, they had a problem with APPLE not letting them have their 3rd party resellers sell the phone.

Apple told VZW that the only places they could sell the iphone were at official VZW store and Apple stores, but VZW has a lot of 3rd party agents and indirect reps and they didnt want to screw them!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Steve-hose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Get that extension in writing!! Why not return it anyway and get one with everything ready to go if/when Vz comes out with it? My Sprint 8830 gps works great, telenav isn't supported yet but is forthcoming soon, it was worth the $10 per month on my 8703e, google maps also has gps now but no talking directions like telenav.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw5510 View Post
Question: Didnt VZW disable this when they got the phone from RIM? THat is my impression so how can RIM push a update how to enable it...WOuldnt VZW give them that right. That is one reason why VZW didnt get the iPhone as they didnt want to give all rights to Apple, they wanted the control.

C
The person on the phone said that Verizon would put out the RIM patch.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
FroogleThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-hose View Post
Get that extension in writing!! Why not return it anyway and get one with everything ready to go if/when Vz comes out with it? My Sprint 8830 gps works great, telenav isn't supported yet but is forthcoming soon, it was worth the $10 per month on my 8703e, google maps also has gps now but no talking directions like telenav.
I hate to push my carrier opinions on another, but I have to agree with Steve-hose. And definitely get the extension offer in writing.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

I dont get it. What is going on here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-hose View Post
Old 07-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I dont get it. What is going on here...
Here is the simplified version:

Verizon told me today that there will be an update for the 8830 in the next couple of weeks that will enable the GPS capability without adding additional costs (based on my current plan).

Because of this they extended my 30 day trial period to allow me to see if the GPS gets enabled.

There are some good suggestions that I get the extension in writing do I don't get burned if the GPS doesn't get enabled.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

My bad. I missed that. Sorry to make you waste some of your time. Good luck with that and do get it in writing.

C

Quote:

Verizon told me today that there will be an update for the 8830 in the next couple of weeks that will enable the GPS capability without adding additional costs (based on my current plan).

Because of this they extended my 30 day trial period to allow me to see if the GPS gets enabled.

There are some good suggestions that I get the extension in writing do I don't get burned if the GPS doesn't get enabled.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
My bad. I missed that. Sorry to make you waste some of your time. Good luck with that and do get it in writing.

C
No Problemo
Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
cwosigns

Model: 9300

Quote:

If this is true, that would be some great news. I have a TomTom in my car, and I love it and would never use my 8830 as a stand-alone GPS device. But it would be nice to have it available as a back-up or while in someone else's car. Handy, too, if I were to be kidnapped and thrown in the trunk of a car.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #16
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Default Brittonx, What is your Current Data Plan?

BrittonX, curious if you have unlimited US or international data plan. I had discussion with Verizon after the email survey about the GPS being crippled on a "World Edition" phone where VZ Navigator would be useless outside of the US.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #17
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
If this is true, that would be some great news. I have a TomTom in my car, and I love it and would never use my 8830 as a stand-alone GPS device. But it would be nice to have it available as a back-up or while in someone else's car. Handy, too, if I were to be kidnapped and thrown in the trunk of a car.
Well if you get kidnapped, the GPS may be the least of your problems. It was my understanding that there is a transmitter function to help locate you anyway.

I look forward to the patch if it is really coming.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #18
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
BrittonX, curious if you have unlimited US or international data plan. I had discussion with Verizon after the email survey about the GPS being crippled on a "World Edition" phone where VZ Navigator would be useless outside of the US.
I have the Unlimited US data plan, not international.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #19
jefftse

Quote:
I have the Unlimited US data plan, not international.
Well, All i can say, Lucky you because I told them the same thing and I wanted them to extend my 30 day trail. They wouldn't give me a second thought. So i returned the phone and i have my old i730 and the iphone!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #20
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftse View Post
Well, All i can say, Lucky you because I told them the same thing and I wanted them to extend my 30 day trail. They wouldn't give me a second thought. So i returned the phone and i have my old i730 and the iphone!
I still need to validate that the 30 day extension is real. I figured I would give them a day then I'll contact them to "verify my trial end date".
Closed Thread