BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Telstra
Default 8800 not looking so bad now huh, Curve owners?

Please Login to Remove!

.......like the title, suggests, my first impressions I wrote about last week are coming true to many.

I believe the 8800 criticisms were too harsh, the fact is that there is nothing wrong with the 8800, except for the squeeky sides, and the keyboard is no worse than the Curve.

So who's switching back?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I have not purchased the 8300, however was thinking that the 8800 really isn't that bad. If they could just permanently fix those damn side rails. The whole squeaking issue really ruins the perception of the 8800 being a high end business device.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

If I did switch back it would be to the 8700 not the 8800. I think that most the people who will switch back are T-Mo users!

The 8300 is a good device and will make many very happy.

The 8800 is OK too
Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

8800 still feels like a brick to me, and the curve is just fine. like greg says, if i had to go back it'd be to the 8700 over the 8800 or 8100.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Personally I could never go back to a trackwheel device. I dislike the 8800 keyboard, but did not drink the 8300 Kool-Aid either.

Maybe when T-Mobile comes out with the 9320 with 5.1mp camera, WiFi, HSDPA, IR and a microwave oven.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
8800 still feels like a brick to me, and the curve is just fine. like greg says, if i had to go back it'd be to the 8700 over the 8800 or 8100.
I hope thats a joke. The 8800 is a brick but the 8700 is not?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
IanHummel

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I hope thats a joke. The 8800 is a brick but the 8700 is not?
I too was confused about that statement.....
Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
stac

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t

Where does this venom come from? I'm very pleased with the move from an 8800 to an 8300, myself. The difference in size is just enough to make it perfectly comfortable in my hand, the build quality seems better to me... I don't understand why anyone with an 8800 and a chip on his shoulder would begrudge a new 8300 owner for any reason.

IMHO.

Stac.

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
9thtee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stac View Post
Where does this venom come from? I'm very pleased with the move from an 8800 to an 8300, myself. The difference in size is just enough to make it perfectly comfortable in my hand, the build quality seems better to me... I don't understand why anyone with an 8800 and a chip on his shoulder would begrudge a new 8300 owner for any reason.

IMHO.

Stac.
I agree. I can't imagine where this is coming from... So far my 8300 has proved to be the nicest Blackberry produced to date. It just works as it should, which is what I want from a phone/email device.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Telstra

The 8700 is nice, and with the new software, great, but it is kinda fat and doesn't look as nice as the 8800, which I have recieved many complimentary comments about.

Also, the trackwheel is a thing of the past, so I don't want to remain attached to something I won't be able to use in future Berrys.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfocus View Post
.......like the title, suggests, my first impressions I wrote about last week are coming true to many.

I believe the 8800 criticisms were too harsh, the fact is that there is nothing wrong with the 8800, except for the squeeky sides, and the keyboard is no worse than the Curve.

So who's switching back?
I say I made the biggest leap on this one of anyone. I switched from T-Mobile (5 year customer) to AT&T finally. I just got sick and tired of T-Mobile's "new direction" they're going.. everything good is gone... they're no longer a relevant player in the US Market (and internally they all know it - notice less ads, less new devices, less competitive rate plane... let's face it, they're coming to reality that they can't compete with the big boys)... don't get me wrong, I'm a former EMPLOYEE of TMO, so I even hung on longer than I should, but hey, gotta do what's best for me.

I went out and snatched up a couple 8300's... and love them, even though I could type fast on the 8100 I would get so pissed when i tried to type words it didn't know (one thing I noticed was when I'd drink I'd try to type and I'd mess up and it made me wanna throw the thing)... the new 8300 is a lush's best friend...not only can you type easier when intoxicated, but you can spell check it when done!

But in all seriousness, from an unbiased source, the reception I have experienced on AT&T thus far is superior to T-Mobile. I live in a downtown high-rise and I couldn't use my t-mobile phone in the elevators (yeah shoulda been a deal killer) whereas the new AT&T phone has full bars!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

What is nice is that there are so many choices now. If you are a Cing/AT&T customer, you have several BB devices to choose from, not including devices like the 8700 which is still a great device.

They are ALL good to the users who prefer them!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #13
trevolly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2

People really do make me laugh.

I think that the original poster is reffering to posts that highlight problems people have had with the 8300. (personally I have had none, thats why I came to Blackberry - v reliable!)

When will people understand that when a product is selling on such a large scale and volume that unfortunalty there will be some faulty items!!

Working in a mobile phone retailer I can honestly say hand on my heart that not one manafacturer is any better than the other! (besides Blackberry, for 5 blackberries to be returned in the 4 years I've worked there isnt bad at all, two of them with a cracked screen!, which btw Blackberry just replaced)

Electrical items do go wrong!! I bought a £2000 samsung lcd tv for it to go wrong in the 1st 4 hours. Unfortunatly its the world of mass production!!

Enjoy your 8300's - I am!!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

I like the Curve, will wait til the 30 days are up and go trade in for a newer one

Calendar issue is bugging me though.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
Outrigger

Model: 8820

I myself am currently using the Tmo's 8800 and find it great. Gone is the squeeky side rails from AT&T's 8800 although they are identical. There have been a lot of threads popping up on the quality issues of the 8300 as well as crashes and what nots. But you all have to keep in mind that people generally post when they have problems and issues. Especially when a brand new products just launched there will be issues. But if you consider how many 8300s have already been sold compared to the numbers of issues that people on this board have brought up, we're talking about a very tiny percentage.

I learned that no matter what device and what bleeding edge technology it has, there will always and I can say that with 100% certainty, that there will be issues and some will complain.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #16
spbryant

Model: 8310

I just received my Curve late Friday, and using it over the weekend I must say I love it, no real problems. I switched from a Pearl which I also really liked, but I never felt comfortable with the sure type.

Like others have said, now there is a BB for just about every taste.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #17
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I really like my Curve...and pretty much everything about it. It's my first BBerry and I'm glad I jumped ship from Palm. But...from day one, the lightness of the device has kind of bothered me, since I come from a history of much heavier phones. I guess I kind of like a "brick".

I got a chance to very briefly mess with the 8800 that belonged to an AT&T sales rep yesterday...and although I didn't squeeze it to check the siderail squeak issue...I have to admit I liked the feel of it a little better than my Curve. It fits my hand well (as does the Curve), I like the weight, and the look is very attractive...but the Curve is a good looking device too, although more subtle.

I don't know...I have another 11-days to figure out what I really want. But...I will probably stay with the Curve.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #18
robnick2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I switched from the 8800 to the Curve and I don't have any problems.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #19
stac

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t
Wink

I understand the basic human need to rationalize one's decisions and look to others for approval - but, honestly, to actively denounce one device over the other seems counterproductive.

I'm one of those guys that is a phone whore - and I've had an 8700, 7130, Pearl, 8800 and now a Curve (8300) and despite the lack of a GPS in the Curve, I'm really quite happy with what RIM has done with it. The 8700 was something of a learning platform for me... the 7130 disappointing... the Pearl was a breath of fresh air but flawed to me because it lacked a QWERTY and 320x240 screen and some processing horsepower... the 8800 was a solid, fast performer but I had a problem with the weight and size not being optimal (no camera either)... and the Curve provided me with the perfect fit to my hand that I have been craving along with the QWERTY and screen I wanted.

My next Blackberry will be a Curve sized device with Camera, GPS and 3G... whenever that model shows up, I can update my device list.

I had been waiting for an iPhone, but I've really soured on it because Apple is already engineering v2.0 to correct the flaws in the device they haven't even put on the street yet. To me, spending $700 beans on a 1.0 device that has issues (no user replaceable battery is a real oversight) isn't in the cards, especially given that the Curve is such a do-it-all device in it's own right.

So, I guess we all now have a blackberry for every taste, and for right now, the Curve sates my desires... to each his own berry I say!

Cheers!
Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #20
jgoldenb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfocus View Post

So who's switching back?
i would probably said the same thing if I was unfortunate enough to buy an 8800 and then have the 8300 released a few short weeks later. just sour grapes.
Closed Thread