Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Default 5 Days, 3 Curves!

Please Login to Remove!

Yup it's been 5 days and I've. gone through 3 Curves! Why you ask? Ok so Friday I receive Curve #1 from at&t, first impression is that I absolutely luv the size and the way it fits in my hand! After charging her up, I get to work on gettin all my stuff in order, email, contacts, browser bookmarks,calendar, etc! That's when I noticed the lag, and the slow trackball that was basically not even working. A little battery pull and a deletion of some languages and we're good, no more lag and the trackball was fine! However, there we're some issues! The speaker phone was just terrible, camera was terrible as well, and the thing felt real loose on the bottom of the unit. Brought that unit back Sunday and moved onto Curve# 2. While this one was rock solid all around and had no lag ,speaker phone, or camera issues, it had other issues! Most importantly the phone part of it, the static was terrible, worst I've ever heard on a Blackberry. I compared it with my 8800, and heard no static at all. No brainier to bring it back, plus the screen was really washed out and looked almost like a light yellow. Ok, moving onto Curve #3. Got it this morning and so far there seems to be no issues with any lag, speaker phone is great, Camera's pics are real crisp and clear, reception is loud and clear with no static, and the screen is bright white! However there is some play at the bottom of the unit, left corner, and that little piece where the at&t logo is. A little annoying, but not enough to go back for round 4 (Not yet anyway). So my point is that it really is a crap shoot with these units at this point. But I think RIM will fix any flaws that the phone has in the coming months. It's easy to say that it could be better (everything can). But I'd say they really did a great job on the design and the Form Factor is just amazing. Should be a sign of good things to come form RIM!

Last edited by sean76; 06-06-2007 at 12:38 AM..
Old 06-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

What can I say, when it rains, it pours.

Some people have all the luck, some people don't. Funny how that works.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
trevolly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2

Count your blessings mate!!.......

You could have a Nokia N95! Officially dubbed "The Bomerang Phone" by our regional area of stores!!

I hate selling them with a passion because I know I'll be seeing them again....

On a serious note I hope you have a bit more luck with your latest Curve
Old 06-06-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I do think there are a lot of differences in quality from one unit to another.

My 8300 had volume buttons on the right side that are difficult to get any feedback on whether they've been pushed or not. The plastic rail between the right volume and camera buttons is also loose.

Until the stores get more (working) display units it will be tough to compare.

My 8800 had slightly washed out screen too. It was not enough for me to determine positively that it was a unit defect so I kept it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevolly View Post
Count your blessings mate!!.......

You could have a Nokia N95! Officially dubbed "The Bomerang Phone" by our regional area of stores!!

I hate selling them with a passion because I know I'll be seeing them again....

On a serious note I hope you have a bit more luck with your latest Curve

LOL, Funny you mention the Nokia N95, I own that phone! Bought the silver and plum unit when it dropped in NYC. Tight as a drum, no real issues! Guess it varies like the rest of these devices, including the Berries!
Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Yup it's been 5 days and I've. gone through 3 Curves! Why you ask? Ok so Friday I receive Curve #1 from at&t, first impression is that I absolutely luv the size and the way it fits in my hand! After charging her up, I get to work on gettin all my stuff in order, email, contacts, browser bookmarks,calendar, etc! That's when I noticed the lag, and the slow trackball that was basically not even working. A little battery pull and a deletion of some languages and we're good, no more lag and the trackball was fine! However, there we're some issues! The speaker phone was just terrible, camera was terrible as well, and the thing felt real loose on the bottom of the unit. Brought that unit back Sunday and moved onto Curve# 2. While this one was rock solid all around and had no lag ,speaker phone, or camera issues, it had other issues! Most importantly the phone part of it, the static was terrible, worst I've ever heard on a Blackberry. I compared it with my 8800, and heard no static at all. No brainier to bring it back, plus the screen was really washed out and looked almost like a light yellow. Ok, moving onto Curve #3. Got it this morning and so far there seems to be no issues with any lag, speaker phone is great, Camera's pics are real crisp and clear, reception is loud and clear with no static, and the screen is bright white! However there is some play at the bottom of the unit, left corner, and that little piece where the at&t logo is. A little annoying, but not enough to go back for round 4 (Not yet anyway). So my point is that it really is a crap shoot with these units at this point. But I think RIM will fix any flaws that the phone has in the coming months. It's easy to say that it could be better (everything can). But I'd say they really did a great job on the design and the Form Factor is just amazing. Should be a sign of good things to come form RIM!
That there is a lot of time on your hands to be able to go into the store three times in a 3 day period for exchange. I say if you got that much time do you really need a BB to keep track of your life...

I always say those people who get in car accidents 3 times a year... maybe they just weren't meant to drive?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell View Post
I always say those people who get in car accidents 3 times a year... maybe they just weren't meant to drive?
Yea, that and a slight OCD can cause havoc in a life...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

Quote:
That there is a lot of time on your hands to be able to go into the store three times in a 3 day period for exchange. I say if you got that much time do you really need a BB to keep track of your life...

Did you ever think that they might be on the road all the time? Not everyone has a 9-5 desk job. Taking that into account they might need the BB more than other people.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBuckeye View Post
Did you ever think that they might be on the road all the time? Not everyone has a 9-5 desk job. Taking that into account they might need the BB more than other people.
Or they just are addicted to AOL Instant Messenger.

Ever notice how in the airport, stores, restaurants you see people wearing bluetooth headsets? I'll bet that less than 1 percent of many (not all) of their day is actually spent on the phone... and it's just odd to me... I spend a lot of time on the phone, but can't fathom leaving a bluetooth earpiece on all day and walking up to someone with it on. To me it's rude... like having headphones on, and if someone walks up to me with a bluetooth headset I assume they're on the phone and will address them when they remove it from their ear.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Auctualy my friend I have all the time in the world! The fruits of owning my own business, and developing it to have plenty of time to do Whatever I please! And my BlackBerry is my tool to stay in touch with all my workers via email and what not! And I like my device to be 100%! Cops carry guns, carpenters carry tape measures, I have a BlackBerry Curve, any questions?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Actually my friend I have all the time in the world! The fruits of owning my own business, and developing it to have plenty of time to do Whatever I please! And my BlackBerry is my tool to stay in touch with all my workers via email and what not! And I like my device to be 100%! Cops carry guns, carpenters carry tape measures, I have a BlackBerry Curve, any questions?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
Tim Horton
No longer Registered.

Model: iPhon
Carrier: aircraft

Quote:
Actually my friend I have all the time in the world! The fruits of owning my own business, and developing it to have plenty of time to do Whatever I please! And my BlackBerry is my tool to stay in touch with all my workers via email and what not! And I like my device to be 100%! Cops carry guns, carpenters carry tape measures, I have a BlackBerry Curve, any questions?
Odd. I have my own business too and often don't have time for lunch let alone running around hyper-obsessing over expensive trinkets. In the 10 hours you've undoubtedly spent returning + inspecting your cell phone I would have given up $10000s in potential sales! Surely if your 'business' is so successful you'd have an assistant to take care of these minor tasks for you. If you really treated your blackberry as a tool you wouldn't give a s**t about the minor flaws and probably wouldn't have bothered to upgrade from the 8700 as there are no tangible benefits over that model.

Sounds more like a trust fund baby to me guys!

Last edited by Tim Horton; 06-06-2007 at 10:37 AM..
Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Odd. I have my own business too and often don't have time for lunch let alone running around hyper-obsessing over expensive trinkets. In the 10 hours you've undoubtedly spent returning + inspecting your cell phone I would have given up $10000s in potential sales! Surely if your 'business' is so successful you'd have an assistant to take care of these minor tasks for you. If you really treated your blackberry as a tool you wouldn't give a s**t about the minor flaws and probably wouldn't have bothered to upgrade from the 8700 as there are no tangible benefits over that model.

Sounds more like a trust fund baby to me guys!

You too huh, listen this Thread was put up just to show that every unit varies with certain things, not the time it took for me to exchange! Which for you information and the other big mouth before, it only took about a total of a half hour over the course of the 5 days to exchange the devices. First one was delivered on Friday, so no time there, second I returned on Sun Morning and it took about 15 min , and the Third I exchanged yesterday morning and it also took about 10-15 min. So to go off and talk about me staying with an 8700 and all that, is totally uncalled for my friend. And as for your thousands that you would loose for taking some time to do whatever, my condolences! I'm in the Health Club business and fortunately I don't have to be there every min of every day, did that for 15 years building them up! Sorry pal, no trust fund baby here! Now go back to work, your loosing money by reading this!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
Tim Horton
No longer Registered.

Model: iPhon
Carrier: aircraft
Smile

Quote:
You too huh, listen this Thread was put up just to show that every unit varies with certain things, not the time it took for me to exchange! Which for you information and the other big mouth before, it only took about a total of a half hour over the course of the 5 days to exchange the devices. First one was delivered on Friday, so no time there, second I returned on Sun Morning and it took about 15 min , and the Third I exchanged yesterday morning and it also took about 10-15 min. So to go off and talk about me staying with an 8700 and all that, is totally uncalled for my friend. And as for your thousands that you would loose for taking some time to do whatever, my condolences! I'm in the Health Club business and fortunately I don't have to be there every min of every day, did that for 15 years building them up! Sorry pal, no trust fund baby here! Now go back to work, your loosing money by reading this!
Actually I'm on the phone and multi-tasking. I sent my assistant to go get my a new Curve- hope I don't have your problems!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Actually I'm on the phone and multi-tasking. I sent my assistant to go get my a new Curve- hope I don't have your problems!

Enjoy the day Timmy, hope all works out with your new Curve!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

I'm in agreement with whoever said there is little to no feed back from the volume keys and I also have some battery door play. I had them bring me out another unit that had the same problem so I'm accepting it as normal...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #17
MiaImolaZHP

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You all need to get over yourselves. If Sean76 has the time to chase the perfect 8300, so be it. Don't go around belittling his experience.

I'm sorry but that assistant crap is just that - crap.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:53 PM   #18
sslbun

Model: 8800

I agree - TimHorton seems like a pretty insecure person. Sean76 is giving others a useful account of what his 8300 experience was. For me it's helpful in knowing that i'm not the only one who has issues with the curve. in addition, I know now how randomly the device is working or not working.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #19
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76
Kudos to you for your patience & perserverance. You are a fine example to those that would be trashing RIM at this point. As an owner of a manufacturing company I understand how this could happen, although I'm not suggesting that it's OK.

It's customers like you that demonstrate your high level of common sense, dignity & intellect in how you handled this situation. A great example for everyone else.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:21 AM   #20
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well Said !