BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
beiks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post BEIKS updates its dictionary line for BlackBerry phones, adds media card support

Please Login to Remove!

DALLAS (June 03, 2008) - - BEIKS LLC announces new version of the BEIKS Dictionary Reader for BlackBerry® smart phones with support for media cards and no cost to upgrade.

The application is the core engine behind the BEIKS mobile references series best known for the language dictionaries, talking travel phrasebooks and spelling checkers.

In contrast to most BlackBerry specific applications that rely on the platform's famous always-on connectivity to supply the information needed by the user, the BEIKS reference series store data locally.

"There clearly are pros and cons to both approaches and for the purpose of supplying less dynamic content like a language reference we have found that the local database presence works better" said Bobby Kolev, president of BEIKS.

The biggest problem to this approach has been the available device memory. Important data such as email history, contacts and media files tend to eat up resources quickly and that does not work well with the already large reference data needed by BEIKS' solutions.

RIM has recognized and addressed the problem by supplying the devices with the ability to utilize an external media card with significant storage capacity.

With the new dictionary release BEIKS introduces full support for media cards in the BlackBerry devices. All large dictionary data can now be stored on the external card , thus leaving more room for applications and other critical files that can not be stored on a card.

The new media-card friendly applications can be installed through a desktop or wirelessly, with the help of BEIKS' BeFTP file transfer application or any other application providing transfer between a file server and the device's media card.

The new release also adds some interface and usability improvements.

Registered users can get the updated applications at http://blackberry.beiks.com or directly from their handhelds at http://mobile.beiks.com .

There is no cost to upgrade to the latest version and all BEIKS users are invited to so do.

For volume licenses and other sales inquiries please contact [email address] .

About BEIKS LLC

BEIKS LLC (http://www.beiks.com) is a privately-held company with headquarters in Dallas, TX. The company specializes in developing and distributing essential applications for mobile platforms such as Palm OS®, Windows Mobile® and BlackBerry®. Founded in 1997, the company is best known for its BEIKS Dictionary Reader (BDicty), one of the most popular dictionary series for handheld devices on the market. BEIKS' product list now includes a growing catalog of over 250 titles across all major mobile platforms.

RIM and BlackBerry are registered trademarks of Research In Motion, Inc. Other used brands are trademarks of their respective owners.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Nice to hear about this - I just sent off an editorial review request - congratulations.

Let me know if you come up with a translation dictionary for English to teen.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
dmacd

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

I must be missing something. I have installed Bieks 5.0 but don't see any options to use the media card. Any idea how to set it up?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
kwhitney

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I had the same problem, and Beiks support helped me out. You need to download the .zip file onto your computer for whatever dictionary you own from the Beiks website, then unzip and locate the SDCard folder in the zip archive. The files in there all have a .bbd extension, these are the only files their dictionary reader can see on the memory card. Put these in:

<Memory Card>/BlackBerry/BEIKS/Dictionaries/filename.bbd
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
MBW

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I ended up not loving it. The dictionary in the bundle has 34,000 words - I expected the full 77,000 word dictionary - and some advanced vocabulary terms like "peloria" (the abnormal occurrence of a regularity in something that is normally irregular) are absent - and the best the thesaurus could do with "oxymoron" was "figure of speech". It's not well-integrated (count the steps to look up an unfamiliar term in an incoming message or on a Web site) & getting to a word has its interface & the BlackBerry entry interface tripping over each other. I don't hate it, but I can't strongly recommend it - that aside, I do applaud their effort to move the lexicons to the SD card.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
kwhitney

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I like having a dictionary handy, but there are definite content limitations. The translation dictionaries are similar... great to have with you but they don't have everything.

peloria = great word!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
wawasteele

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile US

I have had it for a while now, as I was a beta tester for them. All I can say, is that I love it! I never had room to keep any dictionary in my BB main memory, so to have them now available on the media card is awesome.

Wanda
Closed Thread