Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
dkoh

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Users unable to reply to emails autoforwarded to BES account

Please Login to Remove!

We have recently moved to running exchange on Microsoft SBS for email, and are using BES to connect our company’s Blackberries to exchange. Although most of the features are working correctly, we do have a problem when replying to or forwarding emails received through forwarding from other emails.

One case is this:

One user runs an SBS server at home where he receives emails on his exchange account. This account is not linked to the Blackberry directly, but is forwarded to our SBS server here at office, which then pushes the email out to his Blackberry through BES. Emails received in this fashion cannot be forwarded or replied to via the device. When he to forward or reply to these emails because, after crafting his reply, bringing up the menu does not give a send option (only save to drafts). These forwarded emails appear on the Blackberry BUT NOT ON HIS EXCHANGE-LINKED OUTLOOK which is weird as hell...

Another user has a similar situation using an ISP provided email account to forward to our exchange server.

We have tried reloading the service books on the device, but this has not yielded any results.

Are there any solutions regarding this?

Thanks,

Darryl
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Does the user have a Desktop[CMIME] service book?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
dkoh

Yup
Old 08-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

have the user delete the desktop cmime service book and then resend.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
dkoh

Tried that already. Didn't work.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoh
...These forwarded emails appear on the Blackberry BUT NOT ON HIS EXCHANGE-LINKED OUTLOOK which is weird as hell...
If the message isn't in Outlook / Exchange on the server connected to BES then the user won't be able to do anything with the message.

Something is afoot with your configuration.

Explain your mail configuration in further detail ... give sample domain names indicating what email addresses should be where.

I suspect BES and Exchange are working exactly as they should and you simply don't understand the configuration completely.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

The may be the way he is "Forwarding" his messages from Exchange at his home... He likely isn't actually forwarding them in the traditional sense... via a client, rather he is going something special in exchange to deflect a copy to his account at work as you can't autoforward or redirect emails externally via a rule in exchange very easily. Really bad description and I could be all the way wrong but check how he is delivering his home mail to work...
Old 08-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

it could be anything ... speculating will only waste all of our time. I find more often then not the scenario is not the first or second thing I've thought of when its something awkward like this.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #9
dkoh

Sorry for the poor description... this if the first time I'm dealing with exchange/BES as this kind of work is well outside my normal job function. I was just asked to coordinate this project since I'm the only one at the office that knows anything about computers hahaha...

Not sure about how the home exchange server is forwarding, but keep in mind that this is happening to other users as well who are simply forwarding emails using their ISP email accounts (example, @shaw.ca email accounts, we're in Vancouver, BC).

Ok here's a little more info about the user I mentioned.

His home SBS/Exchange email is jmclean(at)mcleancourtenay.com. That forwards to his work email which is jdm(at)britishproperties.com. jdm(at)britishproperties.com is hosted on our SBS/Exchange server and is delivered to his Blackberry using BES.

Not quite sure what information I should be providing. Sorry, I'm learning as I go.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

How can the message not appear in Outlook? I mean, it sounds as if he's tried to use BIS at some point to pull messages from home (something I do actually). I would first do some message tracking on these messages on your own exchange box - I don't think you'll find them. If that's true, then what's happening is that the messages cannot be forwarded or replied to because BB's actually just point to the original message, they don't actually send a copy of the original message. I'm also betting that if you scroll up and see Received by: it will say unknown - which is why it can't send on behalf of that email address.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
dkoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIT View Post
How can the message not appear in Outlook? I mean, it sounds as if he's tried to use BIS at some point to pull messages from home (something I do actually). I would first do some message tracking on these messages on your own exchange box - I don't think you'll find them. If that's true, then what's happening is that the messages cannot be forwarded or replied to because BB's actually just point to the original message, they don't actually send a copy of the original message. I'm also betting that if you scroll up and see Received by: it will say unknown - which is why it can't send on behalf of that email address.
you are exactly right... how do i fix it?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

How's about you answer the question I asked on mail flow.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
dkoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoh View Post
Ok here's a little more info about the user I mentioned.

His home SBS/Exchange email is jmclean(at)mcleancourtenay.com. That forwards to his work email which is jdm(at)britishproperties.com. jdm(at)britishproperties.com is hosted on our SBS/Exchange server and is delivered to his Blackberry using BES.

Not quite sure what information I should be providing. Sorry, I'm learning as I go.
The other thing i forgot to mention is that our mail is filtered by a third party called Securance, so our mail goes to them before it comes into our exchange server.

His home SBS is just doing a regular auto-forward to jdm(at)britishproperties.com.

I honestly don't know how to answer your question. Can you be a bit more specific?

Last edited by dkoh; 08-26-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
dkoh

We've solved the problem. As predicted, the problem was with the way his home SBS server was forwarding email. Thanks to all who posted helpful tips.
Closed Thread