Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
mbana
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default media card encryption

Please Login to Remove!

Is there any way to fully encrypt the media card inserted into a bb?

even though we've turned encryption on, when people connect their bb to a pc (using mass storage mode) they can copy files to the media card which won't get encrypted. anyone can take out the media card and insert it into a another pc and read the files..

only files saved by the blackberry itself seem to get encrypted.. kind of dumb. i'm hoping to have some method instead of completely restricting the use of media cards..
Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
lprmcnit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

We looked at this a year or so ago when reviewing our security policies. At the time, we found that all media card encryption was file or folder based ( on the card)..so the whole card wasn't ecnrypted, just the contents of specific folders. The problem with this of course is that if the user puts confidential files in a folder that doesn't support encryption, you are SOL....:(
Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
mbana
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmcnit View Post
We looked at this a year or so ago when reviewing our security policies. At the time, we found that all media card encryption was file or folder based ( on the card)..so the whole card wasn't ecnrypted, just the contents of specific folders. The problem with this of course is that if the user puts confidential files in a folder that doesn't support encryption, you are SOL....:(
yeah, its kind of dumb..
Old 09-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The observation that encryption is folder-based may be the result of the encryption settings being configured to not encrypt media files.

My understanding from observation is that files are encrypted when written (and modified, I assume). If encryption is turned off and then later turned on again, files written while encryption is off will not be encrypted.

And if encryption of media files is disabled, on my 9700 at least, only media files in music, pictures, and video will be left unencrypted. Media files downloaded into the podcasts folder by the blackberry podcast app are encrypted. Perhaps this will be changed in future OS versions.

I had not thought about files that are copied or moved to the micro SD card in mass storage mode.