Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
brandon.aragon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 302aa774
Carrier: verizon
Default No wifi!!!????

Please Login to Remove!

Verizon wireless needs to stop dicking around and get a blackberry that has wifi and gps unlocked. it's ridiculous that they dont already have one. i've made peace with having to pay 29.99 a month for my internet email just give a little and let me get a blackberry that has wifi on it, thats not too much to ask is it?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Keep your eye out for the Storm 2 aka the 9520...
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

You dont have to stay with Verizon.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon.aragon View Post
Verizon wireless needs to stop dicking around and get a blackberry that has wifi and gps unlocked. it's ridiculous that they dont already have one. i've made peace with having to pay 29.99 a month for my internet email just give a little and let me get a blackberry that has wifi on it, thats not too much to ask is it?

Tell me why a wireless carrier who offers broadband access on their phones needs to offer wifi?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRPriester View Post
Tell me why a wireless carrier who offers broadband access on their phones needs to offer wifi?
so sad. one easy answer is international travel....
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Not sad, just uninformed. Coverage in places where their broadband access doesn't work.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

And, UMA for those carriers that offer it!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Not sad, just uninformed. Coverage in places where their broadband access doesn't work.
your right it is uninformed. I said sad because I think / thought that he works for a Verizon store.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
I said sad because I think / thought that he works for a Verizon store.
Now that would be sad!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
your right it is uninformed. I said sad because I think / thought that he works for a Verizon store.
That's right I do, and I get sick of people complaining about what boils down to nothing more than a company charging for a product it offers, nothing more than that.

What's sad is that's pretty commonplace in the business world. And what's more sad is people thinking they deserve everything for free.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

What's common place? People not understanding how WiFi can be used?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
That's right I do, and I get sick of people complaining about what boils down to nothing more than a company charging for a product it offers, nothing more than that.

What's sad is that's pretty commonplace in the business world. And what's more sad is people thinking they deserve everything for free.
What do you mean by deserving everything for free? Make a BB with wifi for vzw and charge another $50 for the device. How would wifi not be a good thing for vzw? It would no doubt draw a few new subscribers, free up network congestion, improve user experience. Not like vzw wouldn't still charge the same for mandatory data plans for a bb. They wouldn't lose any money. How is it a bad thing to expect what other networks offer in abundance? Also, remember that there are plenty of non-bb devices on vzw with wifi.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
What do you mean by deserving everything for free? Make a BB with wifi for vzw and charge another $50 for the device. How would wifi not be a good thing for vzw? It would no doubt draw a few new subscribers, free up network congestion, improve user experience. Not like vzw wouldn't still charge the same for mandatory data plans for a bb. They wouldn't lose any money. How is it a bad thing to expect what other networks offer in abundance? Also, remember that there are plenty of non-bb devices on vzw with wifi.
It is rumored (through Crackberry) that there may be a new version of the Storm coming in the fall, with WiFi capability.

Quote:
How would wifi not be a good thing for vzw?
That depends. As long as they continue to make it mandatory for a data package to be put on all pda's, then nothing is lost, but I guess I don't understand why some people are so demanding of having WiFi when you have service to your phone to begin with.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
I guess I don't understand why some people are so demanding of having WiFi when you have service to your phone to begin with.
That's obvious.

Here's a scenario for you. I travel to London. OK, so Verizon is still figuring out what outside of North America is, but you get the picture.

I have WiFi and I am using a carrier that supports UMA. My calls back to the US, given the data plan that I am on, are FREE. When we travel overseas - which is fequent - roaming charges can be huge. So UMA, which requires WiFi, is a godsend. As companies look to cut costs, you may be able to see why this is wonderful.

I have seen all of the commercials, but there are still places without cell phone coverage. Even for Verizon. With WiFi, I have both data, for e-mail, and UMA for voice. What a great combination.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
That's obvious.

Here's a scenario for you. I travel to London. OK, so Verizon is still figuring out what outside of North America is, but you get the picture.

I have WiFi and I am using a carrier that supports UMA. My calls back to the US, given the data plan that I am on, are FREE. When we travel overseas - which is fequent - roaming charges can be huge. So UMA, which requires WiFi, is a godsend. As companies look to cut costs, you may be able to see why this is wonderful.

I have seen all of the commercials, but there are still places without cell phone coverage. Even for Verizon. With WiFi, I have both data, for e-mail, and UMA for voice. What a great combination.
Another good example is countries with no data roaming agreements with US carriers. This was the case for me in Guam last spring, and the only time I could get e-mail on my BlackBerry was in the Executive Lounge at the Hilton where I was staying. I didn't really need to use UMA due to the 14-hour time difference with EST, but I could have. Thankfully T-Mobile had set up agreements with docomo Pacific and MPulse when I went back in the fall, but I still took advantage of the WiFi when in the hotel.

Also, in countries like Japan and South Korea that don't have GSM at all, having WiFi can allow users with WiFi to still make calls and send messages in those countries without purchasing a UMTS device like the 8707, Bold or Storm. Personally, I prefer to have the UMTS device, but that may not be feasible for some people.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
brandon.aragon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 302aa774
Carrier: verizon

Quote:

I work for a company that sells verizon as well, im not complaining about paying for internet and emails, im simply stating that they should not hinder the true capability of a device and follow some other carriers examples and put out wifi capable blackberrys

Last edited by brandon.aragon; 05-05-2009 at 12:42 PM..
Old 05-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
That's obvious.

Maybe you don't then.......the Storm, 8830, Saga, etc are all Globally capable.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #18
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

The point is that I don't feel like I'm entitled to a device with free services. I'm entitled to buy whichever device I like the most and works best for me. I feel Verizon needs to get in the game with wifi bb's soon or they will lose customers because of this omission. If my home didn't have such great network coverage, I would most definitely move to AT&T and get a wifi bb, as I must have a working bb in my home office.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Yes, and then I pay full roaming charges. You just don't get it. VERIZON, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? I guess not. WiFi/UMA is a convenience to your customers. But you don't see it that way.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #20
Backnblack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: Ask

Quote:
What's common place? People not understanding how WiFi can be used?
Not that we don't understand how it can be used, Just some can't see the need.