Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
diarmuidg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Flight safe mode?

Please Login to Remove!

Is it possible/allowed to use a Blackberry on a flight if you disable the Mobile Network connection?

Last edited by diarmuidg; 01-12-2009 at 04:48 AM..
Old 01-12-2009, 05:08 AM   #2
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Wirelessly posted

Yes, this is allowed although some crew members seem a bit ignorant of technology. Check the back of the in-flight magazine for allowed electronic devices and it should say something about airplane mode or something similar.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Backnblack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmuidg View Post
Is it possible/allowed to use a Blackberry on a flight if you disable the Mobile Network connection?
yes, but the deice still needs to be powered off after the cabin door has been shut til 10,000ft. And then again upon decent.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
PaulMdx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
yes, but the deice still needs to be powered off after the cabin door has been shut til 10,000ft. And then again upon decent.
I would like to have "needs to be" striken from the records. Most experts will tell you it's safe to have your phone on.

Some airlines don't allow BBs on at all during flights, which is laughable.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
diarmuidg

Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMdx View Post
I would like to have "needs to be" striken from the records. Most experts will tell you it's safe to have your phone on.

Some airlines don't allow BBs on at all during flights, which is laughable.
Ryanair are going to allow mobile phone usage on their flights from sometime this year so I guess they think its safe enough.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Doesn't really matter what the experts say. Argue with the flight crew and you'll find yourself finding alternate transportation.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Doesn't really matter what the experts say. Argue with the flight crew and you'll find yourself finding alternate transportation.
Yep, totally agree! As a frequent flier, I just LOVE the arrogant passengers who decide THEY are the experts and try to argue with the flight crew about something like that. As long as you're on that aircraft, the flight crew ARE the experts, period amen!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Most experts will tell you it's safe to have your phone on.
And most of those "experts" have never even set foot in an airline ****pit. As a member of the aviation community who has the privelege of knowing a number of airline pilots, I've actually seen it demonstrated where a cellphone causes interference and false readings on a ****pit instrument. Does it happen all the time, no. Does it even happen a majority of the time, no. But I'm sorry, when you're talking about life and death consequences for hundreds of passengers and crew, even if it happens on rare occasion, that's enough to make the ban reasonable to me. Just listen to and obey the flight crew when you're on the airplane.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Pinky2252s

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
And most of those "experts" have never even set foot in an airline ****pit. As a member of the aviation community who has the privelege of knowing a number of airline pilots, I've actually seen it demonstrated where a cellphone causes interference and false readings on a ****pit instrument. Does it happen all the time, no. Does it even happen a majority of the time, no. But I'm sorry, when you're talking about life and death consequences for hundreds of passengers and crew, even if it happens on rare occasion, that's enough to make the ban reasonable to me. Just listen to and obey the flight crew when you're on the airplane.
Sorry to fight but mythbusters did every device they could think of that emits a signal even a gameboy, and it didnt affect anything with any of the controls.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
C17Driver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky2252s View Post
Sorry to fight but mythbusters did every device they could think of that emits a signal even a gameboy, and it didnt affect anything with any of the controls.

I saw that episode, but I still disagree. I can tell when a GSM phone is on while on the flight deck when I have my headset on. It causes interference with the communications system. While I have never seen it affect any of my flight instruments, the sound it makes in my headset it quite annoying. It can actually be replicated on the ground...put your GSM phone next to most radio based alarm clocks. You will probably hear an annoying feedback sound. That is the exact sound I hear when a phone is brought to the flight deck. As you might imagine, this can be a big barrier to communication if it distracts the crew from performing their duties.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
asd6845

Model: 9630
PIN: occhio
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17Driver View Post
I saw that episode, but I still disagree. I can tell when a GSM phone is on while on the flight deck when I have my headset on. It causes interference with the communications system. While I have never seen it affect any of my flight instruments, the sound it makes in my headset it quite annoying. It can actually be replicated on the ground...put your GSM phone next to most radio based alarm clocks. You will probably hear an annoying feedback sound. That is the exact sound I hear when a phone is brought to the flight deck. As you might imagine, this can be a big barrier to communication if it distracts the crew from performing their duties.
GSM phones will also interfere with speaker systems, wireless Personal PA systems and monitors when they receive or make calls SMS and MMS. Personal experience when I worked at RadioShack.

It was a great way to freak out customers when you see the monitor's screen start to "wobble" and you tell them that they are about to receive a call/message and then the phone rings.
Closed Thread