Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
nickwsu

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t mobile
Default Wi-Fi connection issue

Please Login to Remove!

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on why this isn't working for me. I had a 8320 Curve that recently went dead, and an acquaintance at T-Mobile has sent me their old 8820 to hold me over until I'm eligible to upgrade.

The transition hasn't been very seamless, as I cannot seam to connect to my Wi-Fi network at home to make calls. Now, I've never had a data plan, but had no issues with the curve using my wifi network at home (no carriers have signals where I live).

I tried the setup with this 8820, and am not able to complete the connection.
Basically my problem is (I think) the DHCP server is unreachable message. In diagnostics, it will attempt to connect and it recognizes my network just fine, but in the end I will either get the message 'DHCP server is unreachable' or 'unknown network failure' after multiple attempts at 'associating with network'.

I have reset my router, phone, pulled the battery, set my routers DHCP setting to 'on'. I have used the correct WEP key and I just don't understand why this phone is having issues with it when the 8320 did so well (well, relatively well).

The bubbles in the diagnostic screen start to show green ticks, but then turn blank after it fails to connect. the one bubble that does not turn blank is VPN authorization, which shows a red x in the bubble. (Error: link down).

It is just an endless cycle of 'associating with network' and 'DHCP server is unreachable'.

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Try updating your router firmware. Then drop the internet to open auth. If your can connect then, then jump it back to WEP or WPA
Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Neubie2

Model: Z10
Carrier: Rogers, Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwsu View Post
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on why this isn't working for me. I had a 8320 Curve that recently went dead, and an acquaintance at T-Mobile has sent me their old 8820 to hold me over until I'm eligible to upgrade.

The transition hasn't been very seamless, as I cannot seam to connect to my Wi-Fi network at home to make calls. Now, I've never had a data plan, but had no issues with the curve using my wifi network at home (no carriers have signals where I live).

I tried the setup with this 8820, and am not able to complete the connection.
Basically my problem is (I think) the DHCP server is unreachable message. In diagnostics, it will attempt to connect and it recognizes my network just fine, but in the end I will either get the message 'DHCP server is unreachable' or 'unknown network failure' after multiple attempts at 'associating with network'.

I have reset my router, phone, pulled the battery, set my routers DHCP setting to 'on'. I have used the correct WEP key and I just don't understand why this phone is having issues with it when the 8320 did so well (well, relatively well).

The bubbles in the diagnostic screen start to show green ticks, but then turn blank after it fails to connect. the one bubble that does not turn blank is VPN authorization, which shows a red x in the bubble. (Error: link down).

It is just an endless cycle of 'associating with network' and 'DHCP server is unreachable'.

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help...
Had similar issue with my 8820 when trying to set up UMA. Came across a thread suggesting to enable the "VPN passthru" as well as "IPSec" in my router settings. Did that, and connected just fine. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
nickwsu

well the open auth did not do it, and my router dosn't have any vpn settings, but I did open up a static route in the router settings and the phone seems to work fine now. unfortunately my wifes bb pearl and my laptop don't connect anymore...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
nickwsu

I cant find the settings I had that allowed our laptop to connect, this is seriously messed up
Closed Thread