Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon
Default Airport Scanners and Whole Body Imaging

Please Login to Remove!

I went through one of these for the first time last week. Do you think they go to far? Do you agree that it's a 'virtual strip search'?

Airport security bares all, or does it? - CNN.com
Old 05-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

just wait you go through one of these when you board mass transit.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

They're a great help to passengers and to screeners. IMO the security measures being taken are adequate to compensate for the privacy concerns.

Separately, given the fact that each of us is in possession of a human body, and that the features of all human bodies fall within a fairly narrow spectrum, one would think we'd all be a little less uptight about our "specifics." Does anyone really think that these guards, who will scan thousands upon thousands of images daily, will be pausing to overtly examine and obsess over them specifically? I mean, there is modesty, and then there is full-blown paranoia.

If this is the best way to discern whether or not someone is carrying a concealed weapon, let's do it. I'm not fussed. Far better this, than being groped (or blown up).
Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I see no problem with it as a normal person. I could however see how some would find it too invasive. I know that some $9 / TSA worker had (Famous Person X) go through and had the option to get the image and sell it to TMZ for lets say $50k then there could be problems.

to me though no issue.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Backnblack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

No big deal. No detail, The viewer has no idea who is on the screen anyway...
Old 05-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

On the one hand I don't think it is any big deal. What does, at least to some degree, give me pause is the continued erosion of privacy rights. It reminds me of the story of the camel with his nose in the tent. Finding some mechanism to keep that stinking camel from taking over the tent is what I think is important.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
wabbit

so where do people draw the line at privacy?

whats next?

giving up privacy for false security is a joke.

last i checked this is the land of the free. and to give up privacy to some dude that get paid minimum wage at an airport just leaves me speechless.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I tend to agree with wabbit here. There are some interesting points in the article...

Quote:
"People need to know what's happening, with no sugar-coating and no spinning," said Coney, who is also coordinator of the Privacy Coalition, a conglomerate of 42 member organizations. She expects other groups to sign on in the push for the technology's suspension until privacy safeguards are in place.

Right now, without regulations on what the Transportation Security Administration does with this technology, she said, "We don't have the policy to hold them to what they say. They're writing their own rule book at this point."
Maybe one image one time doesn't seem like much of a privacy issue, but what happens when the government decides to keep them in storage and has tens of millions of these images, with some people having been scanned dozens or hundreds of times if they are frequent flyers? The potential for misuse/abuse is huge.

The other question that begs an answer is how effective is this really going to be in stopping terrorists? I think what Bruce Schneier says near the end is right on.

Quote:
[...]he said, he knows his position isn't "politically tenable," but he believes money would be better spent on intelligence-gathering and investigations.

"It's stupid to spend money so terrorists can change plans," he said by phone from Poland, where he was speaking at a conference. If terrorists are swayed from going through airports, they'll just target other locations, such as a hotel in Mumbai, India, he said.

"We'd be much better off going after bad guys ... and back to pre-9/11 levels of airport security," he said. "There's a huge 'cover your ass' factor in politics, but unfortunately, it doesn't make us safer."
We are becoming so desensitized to the erosion of our privacy and freedoms it frightens me. Not recalling the story of the camel with his nose in the tent, I looked it up. Is worthy of reading.
Camel's nose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
No big deal. No detail, The viewer has no idea who is on the screen anyway...
Your right. This is just fine by me, no problems.

Airport security bares all, or does it? - CNN.com
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Oh I love the ones who preach privacy rights in here, yet in another thread you want a mother arrested because she wants her rights protected.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Oh I love the ones who preach privacy rights in here, yet in another thread you want a mother arrested because she wants her rights protected.

dawg nothing personal but, if it is as they say, and curable or gives the kid another 10-20 years of living a normal life, then yes the parents are unfit to be parents. the child we can mostly all agree on don't know better, id it for us to say we do, no is it right to let him just die to something we can treat?

where does it stop? common colds, flu, chicken pox? where someone feels that taking a pill is wrong? or what happens if a child breaks an arm playing around, should we treat it? i mean a body will heal naturally right? who cares if it bond backwards.

but wait dont we also offer protection for those that cant defend them self?
from unfit parents?

my problem with the screening has more then privacy, which is one major problem behind it, the other factor is its a bullshit investment considering we take international flights from countries with sub par security, which means what prevents someone from flying in from a poor security country and taking a connecting flight and hijacking it then. they already been "screened" all this is some epic failed false sense of fixing something, all this is an invasion of privacy.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:51 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Your wrong there is no guarantee that the treatment will work. There is no normal life under chemo I have seen it first hand and what it does to people. I do not know one single person whos taken chemo and lived. My father said it was the worst mistake he ever made. My aunt whos under going it now says she wishes she would have never stopped.

It wasnt until the chemo started that my Father styarted deteriorating. Its still a rights issue. Maybe she wants her child to truely live for the remainder of his life. Not just exist.

But I have no issue with the topic at hand. I want to know when I get on a plane I am safe. I also believe in profiling. Hell look at every plane hijacking in the past 30 years who have been responsible its not the average joe. Its been dark skinned foriegners mostly middle eastern.

Last edited by Dawg; 05-22-2009 at 04:54 AM..
Closed Thread