Old 04-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #21
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
In Asia, I see the same culture. Except that everyone seems to be doing this on Nokias, Samsungs and Sony Ericssons. Lately the iPhone too. And maybe a few Motorolas here and there. Its amazing to see how people can type so fast just using a tiny T9 keyboard.

When I eat in a restaurant or in public, without looking at the phone but simply from the hand gestures or movement, I can tell if the person is holding a Blackberry or a Nokia. More on the thumb, if the person is scrolling a trackball or pressing a joystick. Most of the time, the Blackberry users are expatriates, traveling businessmen from the US or Canada, or Asians that work, live or naturalized in NA and is visiting their relatives.

There is still so much of the world RIM has to conquer.
This is because Asia is more focused mobile entertainment (TV, Music, etc.) than mobile e-mail. They are also focused on having slim phones that fit well in the pocket. Very rarely will you see an Asian with a pouch or holster on their waist.

When I was in Korea last summer, I was the only person I saw with a BlackBerry (an 8707g that I had picked up in Guam a few months earlier), and I got a lot of funny looks on the subway. I got even more funny looks with my Samsung F700V. I had people staring over my shoulder all the time to see what I was using.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #22
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E

That's good. At least you get noticed. Most phones---Nokia, Samsung, SE, LG, Moto---all look alike from afar. I want to be noticed like that.

In Asia, for instance, in the Philippines, the people who appear to be scrolling a trackball---an indication of BB---tend to be Americans, Canadians, or overseas Filipinos who came from these areas. Lets not forget, Guamanians.

Docomo Pacific, now wholly owned by NTT Docomo of Japan, is an oddball for its selection of BB phones. It currently got under one roof and literally under the same glass shelf, for a price:

BB Storm from Verizon (they got it working on CDMA from the legacy Guamcell network)
BB Bold from AT&T (using 3.5G HDSPA)
BB Pearl Flip from T-Mobile (GSM)
BB Curve 8900 from T-Mobile (GSM)

Plus the older 8707s, Pearls and Curves like the 8320s.

For a change, they're also selling the Nokia E71, but not the AT&T branded one.

Since the first Curve hit the island, it had literally swept away what used to be a Nokia-Samsung-Motorola dominated market place. Professionals---like in lawyers, government people, real estate agents, bankers, financial consultants, managers, etc,.---have gone from carrying Palms and Motorola Q9s to all sorts of Blackberries. The BB craze has swept downward to consumers, housewives, and even teenagers. I find teeners and women most particularly heavy messaging, chatting and texting users.

GTA also carries the same assortment of Blackberries save for the Storm. The hold out carrier, IT&E, is feeling the heat and appears set to release their own BBs soon, but because they have a CDMA and EV-DO network, they will have to use BBs that run on that.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-06-2009 at 12:58 AM..
Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #23
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
That's good. At least you get noticed. Most phones---Nokia, Samsung, SE, LG, Moto---all look alike from afar. I want to be noticed like that.

In Asia, for instance, in the Philippines, the people who appear to be scrolling a trackball---an indication of BB---tend to be Americans, Canadians, or overseas Filipinos who came from these areas. Lets not forget, Guamanians.

Docomo Pacific, now wholly owned by NTT Docomo of Japan, is an oddball for its selection of BB phones. It currently got under one roof and literally under the same glass shelf, for a price:

BB Storm from Verizon (they got it working on CDMA from the legacy Guamcell network)
BB Bold from AT&T (using 3.5G HDSPA)
BB Pearl Flip from T-Mobile (GSM)
BB Curve 8900 from T-Mobile (GSM)

Plus the older 8707s, Pearls and Curves like the 8320s.

For a change, they're also selling the Nokia E71, but not the AT&T branded one.

Since the first Curve hit the island, it had literally swept away what used to be a Nokia-Samsung-Motorola dominated market place. Professionals---like in lawyers, government people, real estate agents, bankers, financial consultants, managers, etc,.---have gone from carrying Palms and Motorola Q9s to all sorts of Blackberries. The BB craze has swept downward to consumers, housewives, and even teenagers. I find teeners and women most particularly heavy messaging, chatting and texting users.

GTA also carries the same assortment of Blackberries save for the Storm. The hold out carrier, IT&E, is feeling the heat and appears set to release their own BBs soon, but because they have a CDMA and EV-DO network, they will have to use BBs that run on that.
Trust me, I know how to get noticed with my phones. My Middle East market phones get the most attention (when I'm not in the Middle East).

I noticed that shift last time I was in Guam. I saw a ton more BlackBerry when I was there in September from when I was there in June. I've also noticed a lot of people getting off of the old CDMA networks and getting onto GSM.

That said, buying any phone in Guam is stupid expensive when you're not buying on contract. My 8707g cost me close to $500 after taxes last June. It's honestly cheaper to fly to Manila and buy a phone there than it is to buy it in Guam.

Last edited by dc/dc; 04-06-2009 at 07:00 AM..
Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #24
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

In my office, am the lone Blackberry in a sea of Treos.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #25
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I noticed that shift last time I was in Guam. I saw a ton more BlackBerry when I was there in September from when I was there in June. I've also noticed a lot of people getting off of the old CDMA networks and getting onto GSM.

That said, buying any phone in Guam is stupid expensive when you're not buying on contract. My 8707g cost me close to $500 after taxes last June. It's honestly cheaper to fly to Manila and buy a phone there than it is to buy it in Guam.
A lot of the migration has to to do with Blackberry, and with two carriers, Docomo and GTA, pushing both GSM and Blackbery, though Docomo is also selling Verizon's 9530 Storm and had to use it on the legacy CDMA network. But its now the only CDMA phone they're selling and just about everything is either HSDPA or GSM. GTA is still GSM/EDGE.

ITE experiment with GSM but is pushing EV-DO now. I heard they're planning to bring in Sprint's lineup of BB phones, which is not really exciting because that sounds like Curves on EV-DO.

Yes, phones are very expensive, especially for Docomo. Although the prices are not out of line if compared to unlocked phones, which they are, though they still sell them with a contract. But there are independent vendors who bring in phones from the US and the Philippines, but these phones tend to be GSM and HSPA. You need to be certain if the 3G frequencies are US, like 850, not Asian or European 2100. If you want US prices, you can always order from eBay or any mail order that will deliver to Guam, but you're still going to pay unlocked, no contract prices anyway.

The carriers in Guam have to buy their phones from the US carriers, then somehow unlock them to work on their equipment. You can see for example, ITE's lineup, where you have Verizon's LG Dare sitting next to Sprint's Samsung Instinct next to Alltel's HTC Touch. That's also how Docomo can operate Storm, Bold, and Curve 8900 in the same network.

I think you may find many phones cheaper in the Philippines or in Asia. But HTC always comes at a high price, much higher than in the US because few carriers are willing to subsidize them. I'm talking like 700 to 900 US dollars here after conversion. Also if they're 3G, the 3G won't work on the US frequency for 3G. That's why you should not buy a phone in Asia or Europe other than a generic and cheaper GSM one.

And its not easy to find Blackberry in the Philippines either. Or in Asia. Part of that resistance has to do with Blackberry's special data rates.

As far as Nokia prices go, they're regulated by Nokia and its constant worldwide. After conversion, the price for the 5800 at Nokia's stores in Manila still amounts to $400 dollars, the same in the US. But as always, beware of the actual 3G frequencies, and take account of sub variations within the model, such as the E71, which has the E71-1, E71-2, E71-3, the latter two has the 850 frequency, but only the last has both the 850 and the 2100 frequency so you can do both Asian and USA roaming.

Because there is a large Filipino population in Guam, the preferred choice is GSM so they can bring their phones back to the Philippines and work there. Or they buy their phones there and bring them to Guam. Once again, Quad Band is preferred.

If you want to roam in Japan though, better get one of those W-CDMA phones with the 2100 frequency.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
A lot of the migration has to to do with Blackberry, and with two carriers, Docomo and GTA, pushing both GSM and Blackbery, though Docomo is also selling Verizon's 9530 Storm and had to use it on the legacy CDMA network. But its now the only CDMA phone they're selling and just about everything is either HSDPA or GSM. GTA is still GSM/EDGE.

ITE experiment with GSM but is pushing EV-DO now. I heard they're planning to bring in Sprint's lineup of BB phones, which is not really exciting because that sounds like Curves on EV-DO.

Yes, phones are very expensive, especially for Docomo. Although the prices are not out of line if compared to unlocked phones, which they are, though they still sell them with a contract. But there are independent vendors who bring in phones from the US and the Philippines, but these phones tend to be GSM and HSPA. You need to be certain if the 3G frequencies are US, like 850, not Asian or European 2100. If you want US prices, you can always order from eBay or any mail order that will deliver to Guam, but you're still going to pay unlocked, no contract prices anyway.

The carriers in Guam have to buy their phones from the US carriers, then somehow unlock them to work on their equipment. You can see for example, ITE's lineup, where you have Verizon's LG Dare sitting next to Sprint's Samsung Instinct next to Alltel's HTC Touch. That's also how Docomo can operate Storm, Bold, and Curve 8900 in the same network.

I think you may find many phones cheaper in the Philippines or in Asia. But HTC always comes at a high price, much higher than in the US because few carriers are willing to subsidize them. I'm talking like 700 to 900 US dollars here after conversion. Also if they're 3G, the 3G won't work on the US frequency for 3G. That's why you should not buy a phone in Asia or Europe other than a generic and cheaper GSM one.

And its not easy to find Blackberry in the Philippines either. Or in Asia. Part of that resistance has to do with Blackberry's special data rates.

As far as Nokia prices go, they're regulated by Nokia and its constant worldwide. After conversion, the price for the 5800 at Nokia's stores in Manila still amounts to $400 dollars, the same in the US. But as always, beware of the actual 3G frequencies, and take account of sub variations within the model, such as the E71, which has the E71-1, E71-2, E71-3, the latter two has the 850 frequency, but only the last has both the 850 and the 2100 frequency so you can do both Asian and USA roaming.

Because there is a large Filipino population in Guam, the preferred choice is GSM so they can bring their phones back to the Philippines and work there. Or they buy their phones there and bring them to Guam. Once again, Quad Band is preferred.

If you want to roam in Japan though, better get one of those W-CDMA phones with the 2100 frequency.
Yeah, I know all about the band differences. I have phones for everywhere. LOL

I bought my 8707g specifically for use in Japan and SK (although it has now been supplanted by my Bold). My Nokia 7900 Prism has UMTS 850/2100 and works on Guam and some places in the US on 3G, and works perfectly in Japan and SK. My iPhone works on all UMTS networks except for T-Mobile USA.

I never could find a really good retailer there. Jade Cell had super high prices on Nokia, and kept nothing in stock.

(I'm a phone whore. )
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #27
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

I haven't seen Jade Cell for a while. They may not be in business. There is a phone retailer in Cost U Less but the phones seems a bit dated. There is another new place that seems bringing in Asian phones but its expensive. I've seen Sony Xperia X1, Samsung Omnia (GSM/HSPA), Nokia 5800, LG KP500 Cookie, LG KS20 (a Win Mo kind of thing with a fashionable look), and the LG KC910 Renoir. Many other LG unmentionables because I never saw them advertised in the US except for the popular LG Shine. All the phones are carrier unlocked though but may not work on the local HSPA band.

The better time to buy from Docomo, GTA and IT&E is when phones go on sale, usually on holidays. They push down the prices of Curves and Pearls low enough so that it enters into low and mid end Nokia and LG territory. Sort of like $199 for the Pearl and $299 for the Curve. But you're never going to find $100 dollar Storms here, no sirree.

Among the three carriers, I would say IT&E has the better prices but still quite expensive compared to the US. I managed to get an HTC Touch Diamond Sprint version from them for $299 on contract. The data rate plan isn't bad at all, $20 dollars a month unlimited on EV-DO Rev. A.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #28
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
I haven't seen Jade Cell for a while. They may not be in business. There is a phone retailer in Cost U Less but the phones seems a bit dated. There is another new place that seems bringing in Asian phones but its expensive. I've seen Sony Xperia X1, Samsung Omnia (GSM/HSPA), Nokia 5800, LG KP500 Cookie, LG KS20 (a Win Mo kind of thing with a fashionable look), and the LG KC910 Renoir. Many other LG unmentionables because I never saw them advertised in the US except for the popular LG Shine. All the phones are carrier unlocked though but may not work on the local HSPA band.

The better time to buy from Docomo, GTA and IT&E is when phones go on sale, usually on holidays. They push down the prices of Curves and Pearls low enough so that it enters into low and mid end Nokia and LG territory. Sort of like $199 for the Pearl and $299 for the Curve. But you're never going to find $100 dollar Storms here, no sirree.

Among the three carriers, I would say IT&E has the better prices but still quite expensive compared to the US. I managed to get an HTC Touch Diamond Sprint version from them for $299 on contract. The data rate plan isn't bad at all, $20 dollars a month unlimited on EV-DO Rev. A.
Yeah, the place in Cost-U-Less gets crap phones. Where's the new place? I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #29
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Its Le's Market near the Inglesias ni Kristo church. But note these are unlocked phones, so they may cost a bit. The imports are not likely to work with US 3G frequency but will work with international HSPA bands, US and global GSM.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-07-2009 at 07:17 AM..
Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #30
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Its Le's Market near the Inglesias ni Kristo church. But note these are unlocked phones, so they may cost a bit. The imports are not likely to work with US 3G frequency but will work with international HSPA bands, US and global GSM.
Cool. I'll make sure to check it out.

I only want unlocked phones, but hopefully their prices are competitive to the Internet. I just prefer to play with a phone before I buy it.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #31
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

tl;dr he needs his blackberry all the time...
Old 04-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #32
steveoevets
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Telus

I think it's all pretty sad. As soon as my day is over, the work BB goes into my bag and doesn't come out the next day. I do have an iPhone for personal use and do use that all the time for personal stuff.

People work too hard these days. I would rather play with my kid (if I had kids) or ride my mountain bike (which I do all the time) then work. Time to check in on the work life balance guys....

Let the flaming begin.... sigh...
Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #33
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

I found out that kids don't really use their phones to play games, as much as to hear music and to text like crazy. Giving them a Blackberry is like giving a zealot an AK-47 instead of a revolver. Soon they will be texting machines in two legs. As far as keyboarding output goes, a kid heavy in text will put most business professionals to shame.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-21-2009 at 02:43 AM..
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #34
Backnblack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

My BB is just another phone to me....
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #35
nobla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Lots and lots of Blackberries in London too, im also seeing more people with personal ones too. I was at London City airport the other day and nearly every other person had a BB in their hands
Old 04-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #36
Ritsuke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: BEL Proximus

This is my first Blackberry and I'm the only Blackberry owner in my family and company. The culture is only in me and this is where it stays. I try not to get addicted to a phone as it's purely a working device which helps me coming through the day and gives me relaxation (sudoku, ...) when I need it. I won't be playing with it in the evening when sitting in the couch or something alike. I do, however, want it to run perfect and that takes time the first few weeks.

As for other people with Blackberry's, I won't go looking which model they use, what applications they advice, ... unless I see I can use it for my day to day business use.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #37
madmonke
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

They switched everyone over at our work to Blackberries to to get emails to dispatch us to repair calls. They gave us all refurbed 8700g's. I would say a good 5% failed with in the first day. Then over time we have had people drop them causing them to white screen or break. Most everyone hates them. I wasn't too fond of mine but never really had a problem with it. I went and got a 8310 and had it unlocked to use on Cincinnati Bell. I love the phone and have been messing with it for a week straight. Even got into making themes this weekend.
Closed Thread