Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
jfonseca

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default WI fi help asap please.

Please Login to Remove!

erm, Hello world!

Well just got the bold 9000 today, first blackberry, first decent phone. I am in love with it, it looks great and works better except for one thing: the wi fi connection.

Aparantely lots of people have been having trouble with the wi fi. I search for networks, I choose mine but I can t access the internet with my browser '' Unable to conmect to the internet please try again later'' , no email and no BBM. The wi fi symbol appears grey and i have a greyish dash instead of the lucky green tick in the connections page.

What should I do. I really need to get this fixed asap. Please bear in mind a couple of considerations:

- I have no BB service ( theres this myth that without it theres no wi fi)
- I have a linksys router WRT54GS and i checked its setings thousants of times i dont have any security block to the BB.
- I havent done any upgrades whatsoever to the BB. It is as it came out of the box this morning.

Any advice?
thanks in advance
JF
Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

You can get WiFi access without a Blackberry Data plan, but it takes some work. There are more threads about this here, and on the Wi-Fi forum than you can shake a Blackberry at. Do some searching and reading.

Start with the FAQs http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...2F_UMA_FAQ.27s

Last edited by hrbuckley; 05-21-2009 at 08:13 PM..
Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You will never get a white blackberry icon. as white means connected to the BIS and without a data plan, you dont have BIS to connect to.

I believe once the message appears "unable to conenct etc" it sohuld be a matter of clikcing menu in the browser-go to-type address and your there.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
jfonseca

Default well.

thanks, but you see, ive done everything the FAQ says. I am able to select my network, to put my password, but the browser doesnt work, and so doesnt the BBM.

any further ideas?
thanks
Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

BBM wont work without a data plan.

As previously said, when opening the browser, you receive a message about not being able to connect. once clicked ok (or whatever it says) does it close the browser automatically? or show a blank page?
if it shows a blank page. click menu-go to. type in an address and click enter. it should go to the website.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You must have a BB data plan for the BB Browser and BBM to work.
Try Opera Mini. That should work with WiFi.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 05-22-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
jfonseca

Midnightdraven Ive tried that, I put the website, the 'requesting' bar loads but nothing happens. Ill try to use opera mini. What about email can I use it without a data plan? and blackberry messenger?

I still suspect though that the problem is with the wi fi connection. Why would a white dash appear on the 'manage connections' menu on the wi fi segment? very stange.

thanks for everything
Old 05-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

as stated before, you will get a white dash, as a green check mark indicates FULL wi-fi connection to BIS.
Without a data plan, there is no BIS for you to connect to and so wi-fi will not show a green check, but a white dash.

No, you cannot use bb messenger without a data plan, and unlikely email, as email gets pushed through BIS which you don't have as you dont have a BB data plan.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
giorgosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: WIND (Greece)

Is there a way to connect to WiFi and browse or DL emails without being charged over BIS?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
jfonseca

giorgosh, I think it is impossible to use the BB browser with Wi fi without a data plan, but as someone suggested earlier you might get away by using another browser like the Opera Mini.

The thing is that Ive been trying to download the version for the 8830 (which apparantely is the one that works for the bold as well) from opera's website and it keeps giving me a non existent page. Something's wrong with their website: you give it try
Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
George1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Optus

jfonseca, I am not using a BB plan either and have no problems using the built in browser. II have two, never know which one is which, but they both work over Wifi.

Try Options - Advanced Options - Browser - Set the Default Browser to "Hotspot Browser". That did the trick for me.

And I also use Opera Mini. Like that much better. Hope it helps
Old 05-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
jfonseca

Thank you so much, I was just just going out to vodafone to get a plan.
I am trying to install Opera mini with no success. First I cant download the version for the 8830 from their website, second, because i dont have internet on my BB i have to do it by the computer and then pass it to the BB, and I simply dont know how to do that.

Your not able to access BB messenger without the plan are you ?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
jfonseca

Oh Crap George 1 It Worked!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #14
George1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfonseca View Post
Thank you so much, I was just just going out to vodafone to get a plan. [...]
You are not able to access BB messenger without the plan are you ?
I am so glad I could help. And no, BB Messenger is one of those apps that work with a BB plan only. I installed Beejive and that works like a charm. Sure, both Opera Mini and Beejive cost a few bucks, but they together cost me less than one monthly access to a BB plan here in Australia.

Oh, I assume that you got your Opera working. If not, I installed it by going to mini.opera.com and just installing it from there. Easy once you have your browser accepting the WiFi connection, not that easy without it

By the way, one thing that I have not figured out yet is to make the browsers (built in or Opera) detect whether they are on WiFi (and then use it) or whether they need to use the 3G connection. I still have to set them manually. Opera has a little WiFi tick in its settings and the built in browser I have to take off Hotspot browser for it to work over 3G. That is not supposed to be that way, but I have a feeling its the price for not having a BB plan.

Anyway, enjoy your Bold, I am loving mine.
Closed Thread