BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
alefiya

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: airtel
Default should i repent buying a blackberry?

Please Login to Remove!

In the month of september i was convinced that blackberry was indeed a very handy device and it would make my work easier. So i spent a chunk of my hard earned money savings and went and finally bought one blackberry curve 8520.
And was i in for a surprise?Yes i was because just within a month and a half of using my phone ,trusting it with all my data and relying on it ,it stopped working. I was devastated because no phone i have purchased till now has crashed so soon! And not only that ,i was informed by the service center that i would not get my phone back before 10 days and no stand by would be given.
My business has suffered and i feel the amount i invested in a blackberry has been a waste!
Maybe my decision to buy one was wrong and i feel it to be my duty to make my acquaintances and friends aware of the problem i faced and what they could be subjected too if they bought one.
Now i have no choice but to wait at the mercy of the service center as to when they shall return my device and when i can start going about my professional duties normally again.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Re: should i repent buying a blackberry?

What happened to the BB? Was it dropped/moisture?
BB's are pretty sturdy devices 8520 was never a favorite of mine

Please describe what happened to it running up to when it just stopped working. And error codes!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
brissettld

Carrier: vodacom

I really feel the same. My bbm does notwork, my emails do not come through, i cant access internet or appworld and its not my service provider because my network is fine. Is there a thread or something where someone can explain what is going on????????
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissettld View Post
I really feel the same. My bbm does notwork, my emails do not come through, i cant access internet or appworld and its not my service provider because my network is fine. Is there a thread or something where someone can explain what is going on????????
Is there a thread or something? Have you searched?

Do you have the BlackBerry data service on your account? Not regular mobile data service, but the service specifically for BlackBerrys?

If you do, the next question is, Have you tried a battery pull, with the power on, for at least 30 seconds?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Kirkx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

There are millions of happy BB users all over the world and your case sounds quite unusual.

BlackBerries are among the most sturdy mobile devices out there. They have excellent keyboard that works for years w/o any problems. Even if you drop a BB on the floor, usually nothing happens. However, it's always a good idea to carry your BB in a protective case. The one provided at the time of purchase will usually be sufficient. For construction or outdoor activities OtterBox offers the best protection.

BBs are designed around the idea that users will be swapping/upgrading devices. Everything, from your address book to settings and third party apps can be backed up on the PC and quickly restored on another device. You should find and study the sticky threads on BB Forums explaining how to do the backup with Desktop Manager and how to backup third party apps. Then, under a worst case scenario, if you happen to purchase a defective device, drop your BB in a soup, have it swallowed by a shark, etc, once you get a replacement you can restore everything on a new BB from your PC in a matter of minutes.

Last edited by Kirkx; 11-03-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefiya View Post
In the month of september i was convinced that blackberry was indeed a very handy device and it would make my work easier. So i spent a chunk of my hard earned money savings and went and finally bought one blackberry curve 8520.
And was i in for a surprise?Yes i was because just within a month and a half of using my phone ,trusting it with all my data and relying on it ,it stopped working. I was devastated because no phone i have purchased till now has crashed so soon! And not only that ,i was informed by the service center that i would not get my phone back before 10 days and no stand by would be given.
My business has suffered and i feel the amount i invested in a blackberry has been a waste!
Maybe my decision to buy one was wrong and i feel it to be my duty to make my acquaintances and friends aware of the problem i faced and what they could be subjected too if they bought one.
Now i have no choice but to wait at the mercy of the service center as to when they shall return my device and when i can start going about my professional duties normally again.

Sorry to hear your having problems but as with any electronic device there are a few important things that must be done to insure you don't have problems. Did you read the manual? Did you download the desktop manager and make a backup of your data? Was the BB dropped? Did you get it wet or damp from being in the bathroom while the shower was running? Hopefully you do have a backup and if the device is replaced you can reload your data. In general blackberries are extremely reliable devices but again, like any electronic device can be damaged. As for use in business, the reason companys use blackberrys is because your information cannot be stolen nor can the blackberry get a virus. In my humble opinion I would keep the BB over any other business phone.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
alefiya

nothing at all happened. i would not have posted this if my blackberry would have been dropped or damaged. What im angry about is that without any rhyme or reason it just stopped ringing and its only two months old. is this the quality blackberry has ??
Old 11-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
alefiya

Unfortunately i already know of at least 9 people within 24 hours who have faced problems with their blackberrys within months of purchase so i think its a common occurence.
And look at the quality of service here in bangalore india."call after 10 to 15 days!" " sorry we dont give a stand by phone!" as if we are some refugees standing in line begging for food instead of what we truely are entitled to.This is the way customers are dealt with??
Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Right. Do you need help or are you just trying to stir the pot?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
alefiya

i want this issue to be addressed correctly and not just ignored because it hasnt happened to the whole world! tomorrow it could happen to you so are you waiting for that? i need my phone back and i refuse to accept a defective piece which conked off in 2 months.!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
alefiya

how can u help me?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You do know that this is a privately owned forum, staffed with volunteers and not associated with Research In Motion.
Not sure where the problem is - with the BlackBerry or the owner.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Not sure where the problem is - with the BlackBerry or the owner.
I have a gut feeling about this.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 11-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
how can u help me?
First, calm down. This site is run by volunteers, not RIM. We don't get paid to help, and only do so because we want to. We have no problem helping, but we won't bother dealing with people that would rather spout off nonsense then actually ask for help.

Second, let us know what happened. Specifically. Phrases such as "it stopped working" and "conked off in 2 months" do nothing to actually explain what happened. What were you doing before your phone quit working? How did your phone quit working? What did you see on the screen? Any error messages? Do you have a BlackBerry data plan (not a generic data plan)? Details are important.

Third, 9 people you know having issues does not make the situation common when considering the total population of BlackBerry users. While you may be frustrated because your phone isn't working as expected, taking the stance that the sky is falling isn't going to help.

So... care to try again?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 11-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
alefiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
First, calm down. This site is run by volunteers, not RIM. We don't get paid to help, and only do so because we want to. We have no problem helping, but we won't bother dealing with people that would rather spout off nonsense then actually ask for help.

Second, let us know what happened. Specifically. Phrases such as "it stopped working" and "conked off in 2 months" do nothing to actually explain what happened. What were you doing before your phone quit working? How did your phone quit working? What did you see on the screen? Any error messages? Do you have a BlackBerry data plan (not a generic data plan)? Details are important.

Third, 9 people you know having issues does not make the situation common when considering the total population of BlackBerry users. While you may be frustrated because your phone isn't working as expected, taking the stance that the sky is falling isn't going to help.

So... care to try again?
Firstly,to express what one feels genuinely does not necessarily mean that the person is not calm.And to post one's experience and opinion is not spouting out nonsense.
you need to remember this yourself that this is a public forum staffed by volunteers and not RIM so dont be judgemental of people who voice their opinions against it for a reason.

Secondly yes the ringer and the speaker of my blackberry phone just stopped working .I understand it is an electronic device and problems can occur but what i am disillusioned about is that one can expect a certain quality standard from a company of RIM 'S stature and if there has been an error somewhere it has to be brought out and voiced.

thirdly my friend ,this is a common occurence.unless people dont experience something themselves its very easy for them to point fingers and wonder why the opposite person is reacting in a particular way.9 people in 24 hours translates into many people in many days and so on if you know how statistics work.

now i know that you wont be paid to do this but if you want, you can support me on compassionate basis when i voice my misgivings about blackberry based on my unpleasant experience.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

My friend, I think you should find another forum.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #17
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Firstly,to express what one feels genuinely does not necessarily mean that the person is not calm.And to post one's experience and opinion is not spouting out nonsense.
you need to remember this yourself that this is a public forum staffed by volunteers and not RIM so dont be judgemental of people who voice their opinions against it for a reason.

Secondly yes the ringer and the speaker of my blackberry phone just stopped working .I understand it is an electronic device and problems can occur but what i am disillusioned about is that one can expect a certain quality standard from a company of RIM 'S stature and if there has been an error somewhere it has to be brought out and voiced.

thirdly my friend ,this is a common occurence.unless people dont experience something themselves its very easy for them to point fingers and wonder why the opposite person is reacting in a particular way.9 people in 24 hours translates into many people in many days and so on if you know how statistics work.

now i know that you wont be paid to do this but if you want, you can support me on compassionate basis when i voice my misgivings about blackberry based on my unpleasant experience.
This is a volunteer forum - there is no charge for help given here. If you want help, we need more informaition. What have you tried so far to help your BlackBerry?

Have you done a battery pull with the BlackBerry turned on? Did you check to see if there is sign of water/moisture damage?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #18
alefiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
This is a volunteer forum - there is no charge for help given here. If you want help, we need more informaition. What have you tried so far to help your BlackBerry?

Have you done a battery pull with the BlackBerry turned on? Did you check to see if there is sign of water/moisture damage?
ok this what happened.
one evening when i picked up my blackberry to make a call,i could not hear the the voice of the person at the other end although the call had got through. i tried this a couple of times more but the same problem . i asked a friend to call me and although she could hear my voice i couldnt and i noticed that everytime i tried to make a call or recieved one my phone would reboot. i took my phone to an authorized service center and they said my phone had a hardware problem and i would get it only after 15 days. i requested them for a stand by phone since 15 days is a long time but they refused.My phone is just 2 months old.i know for sure that there was no moisture damage or any other mishandling from my side. I tried to contact black berry if they could help me out but i did not receive a decent response. what am i supposed to do . i didnt like the way we customers are handled here in bangalore india.i met many other people at the service center itself and they all were dissatisfied with the service.is there any way we can get ourselves heard by a concerned person . does anybody know any way we can?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
ok this what happened.
one evening when i picked up my blackberry to make a call,i could not hear the the voice of the person at the other end although the call had got through. i tried this a couple of times more but the same problem . i asked a friend to call me and although she could hear my voice i couldnt and i noticed that everytime i tried to make a call or recieved one my phone would reboot. i took my phone to an authorized service center and they said my phone had a hardware problem and i would get it only after 15 days. i requested them for a stand by phone since 15 days is a long time but they refused.My phone is just 2 months old.i know for sure that there was no moisture damage or any other mishandling from my side. I tried to contact black berry if they could help me out but i did not receive a decent response. what am i supposed to do . i didnt like the way we customers are handled here in bangalore india.i met many other people at the service center itself and they all were dissatisfied with the service.is there any way we can get ourselves heard by a concerned person . does anybody know any way we can?
I sincerely apologize that you mistakenly purchased a low-end device and expected the equivalent of Ferrari service for a Tata. That is not how this world works.

That said, RIM will never handle your problem directly. If your problems aren't being handled, that's between you and Airtel. RIM is not involved unless Airtel involves them. They will not do anything for you directly.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Quote:
ok this what happened.
one evening when i picked up my blackberry to make a call,i could not hear the the voice of the person at the other end although the call had got through. i tried this a couple of times more but the same problem . i asked a friend to call me and although she could hear my voice i couldnt and i noticed that everytime i tried to make a call or recieved one my phone would reboot. i took my phone to an authorized service center and they said my phone had a hardware problem and i would get it only after 15 days. i requested them for a stand by phone since 15 days is a long time but they refused.
No one but the "service center" can assist you with this part.
Quote:
My phone is just 2 months old.
From where did you purchase the device? From the carrier/service provider? From some other source? Was it new or used?
Quote:
i know for sure that there was no moisture damage or any other mishandling from my side.
So it's never, ever been exposed to ANY moisture? Even a little TINY bit? Steamy bathroom, wet hands, wet hair, rain, high humidity environment?
Quote:
I tried to contact black berry if they could help me out but i did not receive a decent response.
As noted, RIM is not going to deal with you directly. You have to go through the service provider. But what do you mean by "i did not receive a decent response"? What does that mean?
Quote:
what am i supposed to do .
Well, to start with, you can try giving more (explicit and detailed) information so that people can try to help you rather than just being indignant.
Quote:
i didnt like the way we customers are handled here in bangalore india.
Again, no one here can help you with how "we customers are handled in bangalore india". Did you try talking to a manager/supervisor or someone else in charge? It's their issue.

Quote:
i met many other people at the service center itself and they all were dissatisfied with the service.is there any way we can get ourselves heard by a concerned person . does anybody know any way we can?
You keep saying that you are "dissatisfied" but you really haven't stated exactly why. But again, no one here can help with that.

Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 11-06-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Closed Thread