LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
In due time... Just like with the Mac... And Symbian phones.
If it gets big enough, the hackers will arrive...
Oh I agree with you, I just found the article interesting reading.. One problem with the Mac OS (an off shoot of unix) is that it, like windows, grants the user full permission...

I do see and agree with your previous post about the hackers and crackers developing something in the future, but I don't see how it can ever effect anything other than my /home.... Unless I do something crazy that allows it to...

But 10 years ago who'da ever thunk we'd be sitting on our couch connecting wireless to the net..... PC's have came a long way since my Commodore 64C
Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #22
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv
Okay, I guess I am a Microsoft brainwashee.

Just thought I would state that I thought Beastie was a little cartoon character. The cutest devil I have ever seen. ha.
Hey, you can always give Linux (easier to use than Unix for beginners) a whirl via a dual boot...

Beastie is a funny looking little guy

Last edited by LunkHead; 11-19-2006 at 01:46 PM..
Old 11-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #23
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

If anyone is interested in learning or using Linux / Unix hit me up via pin or pm and I will get you started.... I'd be glad to provide tech support via pin or email once you get going

Currious about what the desktop looks like?

This is my Linux Desktop.... There are 2 types of desktop for Linux / Unix, Gnome and KDE... This is the Gnome Desktop... The KDE Version looks more like windows..

Last edited by LunkHead; 01-28-2007 at 05:37 PM..
Old 11-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #24
allenlikewo

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile

LunkHead, dude first let me say i appreciate you promoting linux...i really do, more people should.

but be honest with me, please?
your pretty new to linux arnt you? its ok if you are, its just the way you are talking, some of the stuff you are saying, and that you've gave out some incorrect info. I just have to assume you are, well...new

dont be offended though

btw, im on a debian box with xfce dt environment right now
i also got an arch linux box accross the room w/ no X and no monitor (i just ssh in when i need to), it typically serving something at most times
and one more that is an old POS that i play with and change all the time, LFS style

but to orinal point, Linux support would be nice
but not expected
no one really provides linux drivers or anything
a few products here and there but for the most part everything is community built
it has always been that way
so i have no expectation

i would however LOVE to see more enthusiasm from the linux community to dev up some BB stuff
Plus, if your really all about Linux
then i would assume that you would prefer open source, free solutions
i garuntee if a linux app was distributed by RIM, it most definanly would not be open source

back when i first got in to BB i messed with trying to with trying to compile some stuff
talked about porting some code with some friends, but never really got anything working
honestly just got too busy with other stuff

theres always the wine rout but BLAH! i dont like it

and VMware, not a fan either

...Barry, XmBlackberry (based of Barry), and a few other puny apps have been out there that look also to have been abandoned last i checked
i say mess with one of theese if you want to have fun

however, if you want to make it work look up Sync4j, you can do it realtivly easy.
One of the linux forums i read like 6 months ago had a good walkthrough on it, was something, if i recall could be done by about anyone without much trouble

at any rate, its not impossible, and you dont need rims help, just some patience and intuition to make it happen.

-peace
Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #25
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenlikewo
but be honest with me, please?
your pretty new to linux arnt you? its ok if you are, its just the way you are talking, some of the stuff you are saying, and that you've gave out some incorrect info. I just have to assume you are, well...new
I have been using Linux and Unix for about 5 years now.... If you consider that to be new, then yes I am

What information did I give that was incorrect??? Please do tell....
Old 11-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #26
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

you can shoot me on this, but "IF" RIM does switch OS, I think they should go with symbian.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 12-01-2006, 12:24 AM   #27
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Your name should be spelled with a P and not a L...

Last edited by Soapm; 12-01-2006 at 12:34 AM..
Old 12-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #28
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Love the move bustin Alien!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #29
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Quote:
There are 2 types of desktop for Linux / Unix, Gnome and KDE
These two are simply the most popular environments. You still have others such as XFCE and ROX out there that are gaining in popularity where Gnome and KDE are gaining in bloat.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #30
jibi
BlackBerry God

Just to note, the downside of open source projects and code: everyone can help fix issues, but anyone can exploit it as well. Comparing Windows virus outbreaks to those found in Unix and Linux is a bit underhanded. When the user deployments of those OS installations actually reach that of Windows (or hell, anywhere close to it, even), then you may be on to something, but I don't think we'll ever see the flip-flop in numbers anytime in the next decade or more.

Case in point on pseudo-safety and pseudo-security in a world of small user deployments and gaining popularity: Firefox. Popularity grew, attention from exploiters grew, holes were found, exploits released, world of safe browsing crashed and burned, patches released. From November 2004 to March 2005, only one fix was released. After that, Firefox was updated almost monthly (about once every 4-5 weeks is the schedule), including major jumps to 1.5 and 2.0.

Linux is still a majority server-based deployment, and while the end-user installations are rising, they are not gaining much ground on Redmond in the desktop world (although they've gained a LOT of ground in the server world, which Microsoft is still very much an infant in this field). The major propaganda machines for Linux distributions are the companies themselves, or those with financial interests with those companies (IBM, for example).

Keep in mind that the majority of Linux desktop deployments found anywhere today are in those companies that need a base desktop environment with very little functionality. Oh yeah, and some people (elderly) who are getting their first computer and don't know any different. As NJ mentioned, these are niche deployments, at best. My company is a very big supporter of Linux and Unix-based servers (as is NJ's, I'm sure), but we're very close to 100% Windows for the desktop/laptop deployments (with the exception of users like myself who have both).

Last edited by jibi; 12-01-2006 at 12:49 PM..
Old 12-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #31
skeggysteve
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Orange

Quote:

Many, many foreign governments use Linux, and many major companies use a Linux or Unix based server because they are ROCK solid...
Is it not also true that most of the Internet runs on Linux?

At home we run Linux on the server and desktops. It is great but I do have the advantage of having a teenage son who sorted it all out in the first place!

Sadly have to run windows on my laptop for work but still us OpenOffice and Firefox on it.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #32
artemis2854

Model: 7130g

Quote:
Ok sorry for the rant but I do not understand RIM decission to BLOCK Linux / BSD out...

Linux / BSD is the future of PC's... It's free and everything (well 99%) is free and open source...

OpenOffice (is better than Office 2003), Beryl (blows M$ Vista) out the water 3d wise... GIMP smokes Photo$hop....

RIM has locked Linux and BSD (Unix) out for the most part. I don't understand how since their competition is Windoze Mobile, yet they ignore the people who dispise ever giving another red cent to Micro$oft...

I do understand that Unix and Linux require some w/o a degree in computer science to learn. But just think of the savings....

M$ Vista $399
M$ Office $299
Yearly anti-virus $40
Yearly Firewall $40
Yearly Anti-spam $40
Photoshop $599

Using Linux / BSD and not having to worry about virus, firewall, antispam = PRICELESS

Come on RIM.... Get with the open source and lets take a few bucks out of Bill Gate$ pocket....

That is all

I agree 100%. As a FreeBSD user (love your beastie) and dedicated Debian FREAK, I think this is where the future actually lies.

The trouble with Unix-based systems for most people is the lack of support, and *yes* you are forced to learn and search. It's well worth it, believe me.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #33
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Again, until the business customers who are still RIM's core customers shift to Linux, this just can't be a priority.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #34
bonzaiim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T

i've been dissapointed with linux and stuff like gimp, etc. nice idea but still remains a dissapointment after years of hype. would rather have rim developing features than trying to lobby the linux community.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #35
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Really? I think GIMP rocks!

Why can't they do both? Develop features and support Linux?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #36
jeremy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Actually, a case could be made for this. Given that most first-tier ISPs use Juniper routers which run on Linux, and many, if not the majority, of web servers use Apache on Linux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeggysteve
Is it not also true that most of the Internet runs on Linux?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #37
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Ya I agree and all I really want is to be able to upgrade the OS without grabbing my GF's windows PC. My laptop is running Ubuntu and my desktop is running FreeBsd so no can do...

I have been called a noob and told to use WINE, which by the way, does NOT work with anything RIM...

It's all good and all I want is to be able to upgrade the OS... I posted a link a while back that lets you sync with Linux but it IS slow and very, very buggy...
Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #38
djbeenie
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20F7C0E8
Carrier: TMO

<3 Gentoo <3
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #39
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Downloading Suse 10.2 now...... 3 hours left to go.... Gonna give it a run in gnome mode
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #40
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Tick, tick, tick..... 82% @ 233 kb/sec..... YIKES!

Sure hope the check sum adds up....
Closed Thread