BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #21
majorxp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

The beginning of the end of a forum board is when the smack talkers encourage the contributors to leave.

Trollers win when you take things personally. You can't. Report them and move on. Request their post be deleted. Don't respond at all. They are trolling and love when you give them attention - they feed on it. If they have an audience and people respond to them, they are happy (usually because nobody listens to them in real life).

That said..

As a member and moderator of various forums on various topics - the complaints you have are pretty much the same everywhere. The only exception are forums that are heavily moderated or frequently give 'vacations' to folks who break the rules.

Friendly jibe -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
The ironic thing is that the people who should be reading this probably won't.
That's not really ironic.

Good luck to you and take care. Maybe in a month or two, you will come back and continue to contribute.

/cheers
Old 11-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Needless to say, looking back through some of the threads, I do appreciate members like SF on these forums. Having someone around lending a helpful hand out of the kindness of their heart is more than we ask for from our members.
<----Yes.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #23
mayor111
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7105T

SanFran - I’m sorry to see you have to leave these boards. I have not only received allot of good information here, but have also given allot of good information here - which I am certain you have too. It’s a shame when people have to POST how they feel on a "technical" forum.

For example - just because I like or dislike the new PEARL doesn’t give anyone the right to make it open season on my opinion. If you disagree or agree - I’m fine with that - but you don’t have to post slander about my opinion. Shame on the "children" that feel they have to post such immaturities.

As for the Mod "MrKyoo" who posted the rude comment on this post: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...e-members.html - personally I think you should be ashamed of yourself. Your comment was unnecessarily cold and completely uncalled for. When someone with 600 posts is explaining a MAJOR issue with the boards - do you really think he needed to be reminded about double posting? I’m the last guy to EVER post anything negative towards a MOD (you guys do a great job here) but the WAY you delivered your post is the EXACT reason this gentlemen is leaving the boards.

I wish you all the best SanFran...
T-Mobile
BES 4.0 SP4 HotFix#2 for Exchange 2003
Old 11-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #24
JMMARICH
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dang man. You are actually one of the people I enjoyed talking with on this board.

Hit my PIN up sometime on BBMessenger. You seemed like a cool dude for sure.

--Josh
Old 11-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #25
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor111
SanFran - I’m sorry to see you have to leave these boards. I have not only received allot of good information here, but have also given allot of good information here - which I am certain you have too. It’s a shame when people have to POST how they feel on a "technical" forum.

For example - just because I like or dislike the new PEARL doesn’t give anyone the right to make it open season on my opinion. If you disagree or agree - I’m fine with that - but you don’t have to post slander about my opinion. Shame on the "children" that feel they have to post such immaturities.

As for the Mod "MrKyoo" who posted the rude comment on this post: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...e-members.html - personally I think you should be ashamed of yourself. Your comment was unnecessarily cold and completely uncalled for. When someone with 600 posts is explaining a MAJOR issue with the boards - do you really think he needed to be reminded about double posting? I’m the last guy to EVER post anything negative towards a MOD (you guys do a great job here) but the WAY you delivered your post is the EXACT reason this gentlemen is leaving the boards.

I wish you all the best SanFran...
Cold would have been "dont double post" kyoo said PLEASE dont double post. In my opinion thats a cry for attention there was no reason to post in two separate sections unless you want to make sure everyone sees your thread.

As far as SF goes if you ask me you're over reacting its the internet i dont care how hard it is for you to let things go if your going back and checking threads to see what has been said about you, you have a problem and maybe public forums are'nt for you. Anyone who is a member of any other forum will agree that this forum has very little thread crapping and very little flaming. So as the saying goes if you cant take the heat get out the kitchen. I agree you offered good advice and its always bad to have a member leave on such a sour note but good luck to ya
Old 11-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #26
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

600 posts in 2 months is a bit much and maybe SF justs needs a break.... I usually only post answers to questions and move along if it's already been answered plus I have this sick quest to look for unanswered posts and dig them up from the archives

Take you a little break SF... Ignore the trolls and people having a bad day, then come on back and continue helping others
Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Sorry to hear of you leaving. Hope you come back at some point.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #28
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

SanFran

Sorry to see you go..particularly if you're being flamed...but there's a few points I'd like to raise that are relevant...

1) Differences in cultural backgrounds - in the uk there's a tradition of banter or "piss-taking" - i.e. making sarcastic fun of people whether friends or work colleagues. This also extends to forums, and one of the sporting forums I use (very uk based) has lots of this..but generally it's all good natured and we even get together every month to settle some of the banter over a beer.

I'm not sure whether this happened here (I haven't read many of the posts), but one mans banter is another man's slander. If you're exposing private personal details in a technology forum then you open yourself up for more banter than someone that doesn't.

2) There seem to be a lot more newbs around..I'm relatively new myself but either I know more about BB's now, or the average user knows less. I guess this has been driven by RIM making the pearl more of a consumer entity and lowering the barriers to entry on the BES side.

As someone that actively follows the admin forum, i'm getting a little frustrated about newbs that ask Q's that can readily be found with a bit of effort (e.g. blackberry.com site or product documentation) and I've found myself having to hold back from a quick RTFM or other similar sarcastic question.

Let's remember that not everyone on this forum is from the USA and that not everyone has the same high personal standards as others might...but as don't hateme13 says you take the rough with the smooth...
Old 11-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #29
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett
SanFran

Sorry to see you go..particularly if you're being flamed...but there's a few points I'd like to raise that are relevant...

1) Differences in cultural backgrounds - in the uk there's a tradition of banter or "piss-taking" - i.e. making sarcastic fun of people whether friends or work colleagues. This also extends to forums, and one of the sporting forums I use (very uk based) has lots of this..but generally it's all good natured and we even get together every month to settle some of the banter over a beer.

I'm not sure whether this happened here (I haven't read many of the posts), but one mans banter is another man's slander. If you're exposing private personal details in a technology forum then you open yourself up for more banter than someone that doesn't.

2) There seem to be a lot more newbs around..I'm relatively new myself but either I know more about BB's now, or the average user knows less. I guess this has been driven by RIM making the pearl more of a consumer entity and lowering the barriers to entry on the BES side.

As someone that actively follows the admin forum, i'm getting a little frustrated about newbs that ask Q's that can readily be found with a bit of effort (e.g. blackberry.com site or product documentation) and I've found myself having to hold back from a quick RTFM or other similar sarcastic question.

Let's remember that not everyone on this forum is from the USA and that not everyone has the same high personal standards as others might...but as don't hateme13 says you take the rough with the smooth...
Very nicely put
Old 11-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #30
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I liked SF's posts. The photos were helpful. The link to the manual was great. He posted a lot but so what? Most of the info helped me, and helped the decision along to my buying a Pearl last week. Flames break out on any forum. Personally I find them mildly entertaining, but understand that some take it personally at times, and want to get away from it. I've joined sporting team forums just to try an incite members a little and diss their teams' players just for laughs. Maybe SF will come back and help us in the future...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #31
Liv

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Sorry to see you go SF...

When I first started coming here it took me a while to get used to the dynamics of the forum. I got upset when someone called me a "Newb" and insulted me. The turning point for me is when I responded to a thread and when I relooked at the post it came off a little harsh. Made me realize that tone gets lost in the "typing translation". Which is exactly why I am so "smiley happy"

Now I understand you have been dealt some really unnessicary and harsh statements, and I am sincerely sorry you had to deal with that. That was stuff you should not have had to dealt with.

I left a domain community in the past because they constantly would not leave me be, pretty much said because I was a woman I needed to shut up because I don't understand as much as the men did. I left there and I have never looked back.

I have had to leave this forum due to numerous reasons in the past, but I always find myself coming back. I hope either way you end up content with your decision. I do hope you come back, but either way, I wish you the best.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 11-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #32
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Interesting thread - lots of truth. I guess life has choices. If I get harrassed I kinda just tell folks get in line with my kids, you don't own that market. It's all a matter of expectations - different standards - so all I can really say is thanks for the contributions, and since I am pretty sure you are reading these, please come back some time.

Written from SF - Embarcadero area
Old 11-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #33
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Thin skin + public forum = bad mix (my $00.02)
Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #34
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

As some have already said, the internet brings out the worst in some people because they can hide behind their computers. Most likely they wouldn't say the things they say if they were standing in front of the other person. There are, unfortunately, people who post here who think they "r, like, so kewl by knot typin in english", and some who feel they need to tell everyone else to P*$$ off. FORTUNATELY, there are also many more great people who are very helpful and know how to type with grown up words.

I appreciate, but don't envy the mods. They are volunteers who get beat on if they dare correct someone. Forgive me, but 'Please don't double post' is NOT rude, it's simply a reminder of the rules of the forum. When I use the Search function, the LAST thing I need is to see 2 or 3 posts with the same title by the same person. This is a complete waste of time while I'm trying to find an answer.

While I hate to see anyone feel like they need to leave, this forum is a lot like the TV. If I don't like what I see, I turn the channel.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #35
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD

Many thanks, again, for the comments, suggestions, and even the criticisms.

I am definitely not one to think that my way is the best way to handle this. To be sure there are as many ways to deal with the frictions and controversies that occur on the Net as there are people with access to it.

If there is one thing that I have learned in life, it's that one can never stop learning about one's self and life in general. To me the criticisms contained in these posts are more valuable than words of support.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #36
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

[hijack]have a cold beer. I recommend "Old Speckled Hen"[/hijack]

Last edited by dc/dc; 11-18-2006 at 12:48 AM..
Old 11-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #37
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

SF, so sorry to see you go. I have learned a great deal from your posts. I hope you will come back. Everything else I would say has been said here in the previous posts. You will be missed.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #38
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
As for the Mod "MrKyoo" who posted the rude comment on this post: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...e-members.html - personally I think you should be ashamed of yourself. Your comment was unnecessarily cold and completely uncalled for.
While I'm big on defending our users from trolls, MrKyoo was not being mean-spirited in doing what he did. The post was a double post, it was made in two separate forums for the sake of gaining attention. While I can understand doing this with a big TECHNICAL announcement (such as a post about a new OS release in the RIM Software and BlackBerry <series> forums), I cannot understand this for a personalized post and the rules of these forums SHOULD apply to it.

Quote:
When someone with 600 posts is explaining a MAJOR issue with the boards - do you really think he needed to be reminded about double posting? Ixxx8217;m the last guy to EVER post anything negative towards a MOD (you guys do a great job here) but the WAY you delivered your post is the EXACT reason this gentlemen is leaving the boards.
...and not a single one of the reasons he left these forums was reported to us by himself, either in PM or the reporting function. MrKyoo did the right thing when he closed it, giving it a public explanation as to why it was closed and even linked it to this thread. He's really a bad person, honestly. *shakes head*

PS - I can sit here and explain a lot of major issues with this forum with the backing of my 7,300 posts, but without the help of our users, there's not much we can do when it concerns trolls. Trust me, no one is 'above the law' when it comes to these forums and their attitudes. If one of the mods wants to 'protect' someone, there are 5+ other mods who are not reluctant to press the buttons. We have a good system, so if you really want the MAJOR issues to go away, use the reporting tools in place to address those users and issues. If you want to privately send me a PM and let me know your concerns and thoughts, then I'll be more than happy to read them - and that goes for anyone (typically, there are only a few types PMs I don't read and respond to, such as this one really hot girl who was trying to solicit my 'services' for a night for a cost).

Last edited by jibi; 11-19-2006 at 11:17 AM..
Old 11-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #39
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
While I'm big on defending our users from trolls, MrKyoo was not being mean-spirited in doing what he did. The post was a double post, it was made in two separate forums for the sake of gaining attention. While I can understand doing this with a big TECHNICAL announcement (such as a post about a new OS release in the RIM Software and BlackBerry <series> forums), I cannot understand this for a personalized post and the rules of these forums SHOULD apply to it.

...and not a single one of the reasons he left these forums was reported to us by himself, either in PM or the reporting function. MrKyoo did the right thing when he closed it, giving it a public explanation as to why it was closed and even linked it to this thread. He's really a bad person, honestly. *shakes head*
Well i'd have to agree with jibi.... Someone (and I enjoyed SF posts, so this is NOT a slam on him) with over 600 posts *should* know the forum rules and the whole double post thing... I don't think MrKyoo did anything wrong, he was not rude, and simply did what a mod is here to do.... That's my half-a-shekel (Israeli moola) on it

Last edited by LunkHead; 11-19-2006 at 11:24 AM..
Old 11-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #40
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
such as this one really hot girl who was trying to solicit my 'services.
Ummmm..... 'waives hand in the air' Any chance of forwarding that to me????? LOL Just kidding but I could NOT resist
Closed Thread